+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 12/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 12/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;4119125;
    If you watch the Ponderosa vids, the jurors unexpectedly went to tribal the day after Brenda was voted out. This means that there probably wasn't time to hold another IC and so Jane didn't have a chance to give Jeff back the necklace.
    Good to know - I just thought it a bit odd. (Sadly I can't play the Ponderosa vids - they mess up my computer).

I'm curious here--why do you compare NaOnka to Vee? Vee was never an awful bitch out in Marquesas. She was more of the under-the-radar type of player. If anything, that's what people complained most about her. I can't remember a time when she was awful to anyone like NaOnka has been.
    Vee didn't do much yet she won the whole game. I didn't see NaOnka do a lot, and yet she could've won too, but even getting to the final two would be a similar comparison - neither really earned it IMHO.

But no, I'd rather even have another Vee over NaOnka. (I still think Vee is the worst winner, and Neleh lost only because of sour grapes).

Great point, jadewarlock.

While I still take the on the fence approach, I think the worst part about the double quit is that it happened so late in the game. Eleven more days is not that much compared to the grand scheme of things.
    No it isn't - especially since most of the days have a food win day. Have they even done an auction yet?

I would include Ian on the list. Other people argue that he didn't quit, but I'd say volunteering to give Tom the win in the final IC and asking him to take Katie to the F2 constitutes as a quit.
    Ian I'm on the fence here - he did in essence quit, but he also upheld his promise. I wish however Jeff and them let him have a day to think it over (if there was time - or at least order him to have a couple of hours to think about it from being tired), so he could've reconsidered. That said, it'd been interesting to see who would've won had it been Tom and Ian - I still think Tom'd won, but Ian should've had the $100,000.

There's also Jeff, Ashlee, and Kim from that season. Jeff asked everyone to vote for him after he hurt his ankle on a coconut. I don't know about the latter two though. The elimination episodes didn't show them asking everyone to quit, IIRC. But there have been reports (internet forums, the commentary on the season DVD, etc.) that they both asked to leave.
    Ah... that was a season I only saw the last episode with Ian leaving. I do appreciate the clarification here.

There's also Melissa McNulty, who was the 20th cast memeber of Fiji but pulled out last minute because of a nervous breakdown. She was the one that caused Fiji to have an odd number of castaways.
    That I blame CBS for casting her, not really Melissa herself. To be fair, that was tantamount to a medical evac. I think the same would've happened to Kathy had she chosen to not quit - she was already showing signs of severe issues on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;4119135;
    HOORAY FOR YOU!! Just what I had been thinking. Everyone has been acting like Na and Kelly quit a poker game because the seats were uncomfortable. They lasted 28 days! All this crap about "taking another player's place" is baloney! Who's to know how long ANY given player will last, until living the routine? Every random person trying out for the show has no idea how they will react under such extreme mental and physical duress...UNTIL they are living it. I think the more reasonable expectations would be that there WOULD be some "quitters" every season. And you can keep Holly's holier than thou attitude...SHE wanted to quit on day FIVE, and said herself...if J Johnson hadn't convinced her...she'd have left. (not to mention the shoes in the ocean bit).
    I respectfully disagree - the seeds were there for a time, and when you're that close and quit, it's really rather a loser appearance to quit with that short of time to go. And, in the real world, I've lived in the same situations they've lived in save having some shelter, and yes, it's taxing. That said, you have two choices? - fight to get out of it, or just give up. That's the difference I see in Holly - she wanted to quit, but Johnson did what she tried to do with Kelly - give her a pep talk. Holly chose to fight, Kelly and NaOnka chose to give up. Holly had the same right to still give up as Kelly did after their respective pep talks, but she realized he was right and continued. That showed in her speech and giving up a luxury to help her tribe. She's not perfect - no one is - but she and others who have considered quitting are a testament that a lot of the game is mind over matter. There are challenges in the real world that are in similar vein to "Survivor" that will test one in very similar ways. Are these two going to give up every time something really bad comes to them (not necessarily physical but mental?)
    I also agree that while not the nicest move...she owed the tribe nothing and killed herself just as much as the rest of her team to win the reward. Matter of fact...I wish she had called out that worthless dope Dan, and said "why don't YOU ask to give up your place at the reward? You did nothing to earn it."
    NaOnka simply put was so in to her little own world she didn't think about Dan. And obviously Dan himself wasn't going to volunteer. It'd been bad for any member of the tribe that won to tell someone to go and take the food - while yes I think NaOnka should've given it up since she had already checked out of the game, I would rather it'd been her choice, and she chose not too. All she did was confirm she was selfish.
    I'll be curious to see if Chase defends Na at the finale when she will of course be attacked by all the "good people". Finally, the two girls leaving has NOTHING to do with the already voted out players' fate, imo. THey were voted out...end of story. Deal with it.
    Actually - it does. There were already rumblings from what I saw that at least one of them was going to quit before last week's players were voted out. And, when you quit, you make people wonder what could've been in this game. You deny someone the chance to win this game who wanted to play, and example, I'd loved to have seen how Brenda would've played had she taken out the coup if NaOnka quit. You voted someone out when you could've told people to vote you out if you really didn't want to play. I personally think the "good people" are those who understand this game and want to play the game instead of being there to pimp themselves. Most of the winners haven't been these gorgeous young things (all were decent looking) they were tough players, be it mental/social or physical. They overcame adversities to win the show, and didn't care about a little bit of discomfort. When I see quitters who do it because "it got too tough," I wonder why they were on a game that since year one EVERYONE has mentioned getting bugs, dehydration, sometimes worm infestation, malnutrition (Elizabeth Filarski (now Hasselbeck) and Heidi from Amazon are good examples here), have been bored at times and the like. Were they really wanting to play or were they wanting their 15 minutes of fame? I understand and respect people who quit for legitimate reasons. I don't respect people who gladly just give up and are happy about it. It's not fair to the players who are still in it, who are eliminated, or those who would play in Siberia in shorts if it mean getting to be on the show. It also sets a bad precedent to people here watching them quit, and can affect them getting jobs or do other things because one will wonder if they'll quit them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;4119205;
    The game itself is a kind of physical. How did she do so well on the physical challenges, including that last one, if she was so anemic? Doesn't make sense to me.

The anemias I'm familiar with don't result in joint pain.
    I looked it up because I thought the same thing - anemia has only ever given me extreme fatigue. But my guess is that NaOnka may have sickle cell anemia, which has a genetic factor to it and is most commonly found in African Americans, and does cause joint pain.

Sickle Cell Disease Symptoms, Causes, Treatments

Just a guess.
    _(Moo!)

I can't imagine they'd let her on the show with a serious disease such as sickle cell. Or that she wouldn't mention it at some point during the show.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4119343;
    I can't imagine they'd let her on the show with a serious disease such as sickle cell. Or that she wouldn't mention it at some point during the show.
    Sickle-cell Anemia can be fatal if it's not treated properly, as because of their shape, they can't flow properly. That leads to the aches and pains, and it necessitates the need for medicine. I doubt they'd let anyone with it compete, unlike possibly asthma, and there it'd be on how bad it is.

And yes - because of the possible storyline, it'd been mentioned, even when she quit. She most likely doesn't have it or has been successful in not saying it on TV because she didn't want people to know (and BTW, she can't use this on the reunion show as an excuse if she doesn't have it because Jeff can call her out on it.)

Somehow, I see NaOnka possibly walking out of the reunion show given her antics.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE
    I also agree that while not the nicest move...she owed the tribe nothing and killed herself just as much as the rest of her team to win the reward. Matter of fact...I wish she had called out that worthless dope Dan, and said "why don't YOU ask to give up your place at the reward? You did nothing to earn it."
    Perhaps Dan would have, if that had been an option.
    Jeff said that Holly, Nay, Benry or Chase had the option of giving the reward up for rice and the tarp. So a lot of people can complain about Dan not doing it, but it's ridiculous, because he had no friggin choice anyway.

And I find it strange people saying that NaOnka could have given up her reward. Give up what? Either way, she was having a hotdog in a few hours... one thing was a few hours later than the other, but really, by giving the others the tarp, she was losing NOTHING. On the other hand, Holly (her 'mom') gave up A LOT. Nay said she didn't care about giving the others the tarp and rice, and that's fine... but how could she deny Holly a hotdog? She might as well have sat there and ate it right in front of her and then said, yeah, and I'm eating another one later, beotch. And Holly is a person she claims to care about.

I don't think Holly has any business being pissed at NaOnka for not taking her place. Holly made her own unwise choice there and that's no reason to be mad at Nay. Her poor judge of character has nothing to do with NaOnka.

I'm not happy at all that the quitters get to be on the jury. After 20 seasons I would think the producers would have had enough foresight to anticipate this could happen and have a "quitter" clause in the contract that states anyone who quits during the jury phase of the game forfeits their share of any prize money. Then I think they would be less likely to quit.

I love how delusional NaOnka is. I wonder what color the sky is in her world.

Great episode for me from the standpoint that two of the players I didn't think should be there anymore aren't. I'm rooting for Fabio.

NaOnka's "Thanks Mom" to Holly when Holly gave up her reward for the rest of the tribe made me want to slap her silly.
    Congratulations Mickey and Pete!

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rfromp;4119927;
    I don't think Holly has any business being pissed at NaOnka for not taking her place. Holly made her own unwise choice there and that's no reason to be mad at Nay. Her poor judge of character has nothing to do with NaOnka.
    I agree that Holly is a poor judge of character... and that it's questionable she was in a position to be ticked at Nay for not taking her place. However, I do understand her being ticked at Nay for being a despicable human being. I get that.

And I don't necessarily think it was an unwise choice on Holly's part. Though it does make her a bit more of a target, they are getting close enough to the final three that making feel good, honourable moves will bode well with a jury. Also, the extra rice and tarp benefits her in the long run and for the rest of the game... it's not just one moment of food and relaxation. Given a choice between an afternoon of hotdogs (with a crappy movie) or a tarp and some more rice, I would choose the latter every time.

I've read all your comments and agree with the lot. I haven't posted until now because I still can only think, WOW! One thing I don't think I've read is that at TC, NaOnka's "I'm at peace" face was freaky and scary. I think that Jeff's biting words were more than appropriate. When Kelly took her torch to him, I half expected him to literally give her a helpful boot in the rear to help her on her way into the graveyard.

Unless they had a double elimination planned in the next couple of weeks, two leaving at once this week really screwed up their schedule. I bet there was a lot of scrambling going on between the reward challenge and the tribal council. In order to have three in the Finale, they have to play it straight from now on, right? That is one "smuff" per show.

I do love that the remaining tribe members have to scramble to form at least some form of alliances to get them through the next two weeks. I do believe Holly and Jane proved themselves too strong for the boys, and they will probably be the next targets. Dan is in alliance with Benry and Fabio already, so he will probably float through the next eliminations...unless...Holly and Jane can confirm Chase and possibly (brain freeze - the now outsider with the idol) though I think he'll probably stay with the males.

While I would love to see Holly and Jane in the Finals, I don't see that happening unless they can break up Dan/Benry/Fabio.

I'm ready for harsh words and fights to break out next week.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread