+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 12/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 12/1 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm on the fence. Throughout Survivor's time, I haven't been all that angry at the contestants who quit (whether on their own or ask to be voted off) because I don't know what their mindset was at the time. You can't change a person's opinion if they've mentally checked out. On the other hand, I agree that it is totally unfair to those that have worked hard both to get on the show and during the show and were voted out before the said quitters quit. Whether you auditioned for the show or were recruited, you agreed to go on a show where you're stranded in the middle of nowhere. They should have known the circumstances going in.

At the same time, what a fantastic episode this was for Holly! If she gets to the end, I don't see how she can lose, except if she's up against Jane. I just fear that the others will get her out well before the final since they see just how much of a threat she is. I'm just hoping that Chase will pull a "Colby" and stick with her until the final.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4119099;
    If Nay's anemia was so bad that she had joint pain, how'd she pass the physical? It's not like you just wake up with anemia one morning...it takes time to develop. I've been borderline anemic for several years now (and when I get sick, it's full-blown to the point that I need an injection..this happened in September when I got diverticulits). Where was medical with iron supplements, Aranesp, or Epogen? (I didn't even know joint pain was a symptom of anemia before yesterday.)
    There are a lot of forms of anemia and she could suffer from any of them but its likely that it is either iron deficiency (IDA) or vitamin (megaloblastic) (the two leading in women). Regardless, anemia (in all its forms) is a serious medical disorder and you don't simply ignore the fact that your blood is not capable of getting/carrying enough oxygen (oxygen being kind of important for things like your organs). I dont know if many people who have trouble with this disease would go on a show that would seriously threaten their health due to the lack of nutrition (obviously many people with anemia have to make sure they eat a high iron/vitamin diet to promote the production of hemoglobin to carry oxygen). Basically, what Im trying to say is that a person struggling with this disease (even a mild form only triggered by improper nutrition) would know about the dangers of not eating properly--and if Nay suffers from the other forms (like sickle cell, etc..) or whatever--I just can't imagine the medical staff clearing her for participation. I don't know what insurance premiums they carry but having a person who could DIE from lack of nutrition (and it is very possible, because your organs literally shut down without oxygen) would probably be quite costly and, even if it was the much detested, insanely trashy nay, still bad for the show....

All that to say...hmmm, does she really suffer from anemia...because anemia to nay may sound like jackass with an opening, which is not to be confused with 'smuffing'..and we know how nay tends to get overwhelmed with big words...

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4118370;
    Don't know why Jane had the necklace on - were they going to have an II challenge if neither NaOnka nor Kelly quit? I guess if they were it was mental, but it was odd given that Jeff did say that this tribal council was to determine if either were going to stay or chicken out.
    If you watch the Ponderosa vids, the jurors unexpectedly went to tribal the day after Brenda was voted out. This means that there probably wasn't time to hold another IC and so Jane didn't have a chance to give Jeff back the necklace.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4118420;
    2. NaOnka - mean spirited to be mean-spirited. Probably played this way thinking that she could pull a Vee and win the game or at least be like Russell and get to the final two, get that $100,000 at least and come away with a nice chunk of change.
    I'm curious here--why do you compare NaOnka to Vee? Vee was never an awful bitch out in Marquesas. She was more of the under-the-radar type of player. If anything, that's what people complained most about her. I can't remember a time when she was awful to anyone like NaOnka has been.

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;4118436;
    A million dollars after taxes and fees is less than $500,000. Good health is worth more.
    I agree that health is worth more, but the prize after taxes is actually just above $600,000. I've read that taxes take away about 37% of the prize. That's still a hefty amount of money there, if I say so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4118579;
    Quitting for a good reason is one thing, quitting and knowing the people are happy about it is another. If they weren't able to handle this, then why wait so long - or think about it - why say that you WOULD WIN the game and then still quit?
    Great point, jadewarlock.

While I still take the on the fence approach, I think the worst part about the double quit is that it happened so late in the game. Eleven more days is not that much compared to the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4118579;
    1. Osten - Pearl Islands - first quitter, made lame excuse and was flippant post show. Haven't seen him appear in this show.

2. Jenna from "Amazon" - 1st All Stars - quit because she felt her mom's time was nearly up on earth and needed to be there. Her mom wanted her to appear in the AS edition, but was glad that Jenna got to see her mom one more time. Now she's helping Ethan Zohn from Africa with his cancer and they are both activists in this area as well as help in Africa.

3. Sue Hawk - 1st All Stars - quit because she felt violated after Rich rubbed up against her nude. This one was weird, and I didn't know why she quit unless she was upset the game didn't get him into trouble for unwarranted sexual contact (even if she laughed about it).

4. Johnny Fairplay - AS/F vs. F - quit because he wanted to be with his family. While he did get voted out, he essentially said "I quit" by saying to vote him out.

5. Janu - forgot the season - quit because she really was physically and emotionally exhausted. She also knew that her quitting would throw a spanner in the works because people wanted to keep her in to get out stronger players. She had enough of it on top of the health issues so she walked.

6. Kathy - F vs. F - seriously mental issues, as in needing psych evaluation because she nearly withdrew into herself too much. Not fond of it because like with NaOnka and Kelly, she knew what she was getting herself into and I think CBS screwed up with her casting.

7&8 - NaOnka and Purple Kelly.

So yeah - you quit this show, you'll be remembered as a quitter.
    I would include Ian on the list. Other people argue that he didn't quit, but I'd say volunteering to give Tom the win in the final IC and asking him to take Katie to the F2 constitutes as a quit.

There's also Jeff, Ashlee, and Kim from that season. Jeff asked everyone to vote for him after he hurt his ankle on a coconut. I don't know about the latter two though. The elimination episodes didn't show them asking everyone to quit, IIRC. But there have been reports (internet forums, the commentary on the season DVD, etc.) that they both asked to leave.

There's also Melissa McNulty, who was the 20th cast memeber of Fiji but pulled out last minute because of a nervous breakdown. She was the one that caused Fiji to have an odd number of castaways.

Quote Originally Posted by holly71;4118867;
    Did Kelly & NaOinka audition for this show, or were the recruited? I'm so sick of shows recruiting "characters" when there are plenty of people who legitimately audition. If these two were recruited, well that's what happens when you do that type of thing. Hopefully this will be a lesson to the producers in the future & they will quit recruiting & instead will give spots to people who truly want to be there!
    They have both been said to be recruited.

I don't think that's an issue though. Over the years, I have become more lenient about the casting crew using recruitment for this show. Yeah, they're taking away a spot from a fan who auditioned, but there must have been a reason why that fan was denied a spot. Plus, it can be hit or miss with recruiting people and there are many times when it was a hit. Remember Yau Man? He was recruited. I can go on, but I don't want this post to get even longer than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Endit;4119054;
    In the words of Jeff, and I quote, "Alright, so I'll snuff your torches but we're gonna keep them here at Tribal Council. They'll be a reminder to you guys when you come back in here as part of the jury as the decision you made to quit." Are they lit or not? Can't tell but it's not clear, to me it sounded like they could be.
    No, they're not lit. They just remain at TC as a reminder of their decision. The same thing happened when Osten quit back in Pearl Islands, and then again with Janu when she quit in Palau. Other quitters such as Kathy didn't quit at TC and thus didn't have their torches lain down.

Quote Originally Posted by fan999;4119103;
    Ponderosa questions: If Ponderosa only houses the jurors, what happens to the players who were voted out previously? They can't go home; everybody would know they didn't win. Do they get sent to another hotel, maybe back in the U.S., or what? Also, in Ponderosa part 2 at about 3:12, the women are shown shopping in an outdoor market and Nayonka picks up a burgundy t-shirt with a design on the front, but the design is blurred out. What could be on a t-shirt for sale in the town square that would be so offensive to an American audience that we can't see it?
    They are sent off on a vacation to another country.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 12-03-2010 at 03:15 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CharmOffensive;4118436;
    NaOnka took Brenda out and she deserves credit for that.

She also donated her idol when she could have taken it with her.

We didn't walk a mile in her shoes with her joint pain so I doubt we can really judge her.

She didn't owe of the tribe anything so she didn't need to sacrifice dinner and a movie.

NaOnka knew she wouldn't win so she got out at the right time.

The other girl could have got damage that one million dollars wouldn't fix. Look at all the money people spend on post traumatic stress disorders and never fully recover.

Not eating properly can ruin your endocrine system for years or forever.

Two people not taking themselves or the show too seriously was actually refreshing.

A million dollars after taxes and fees is less than $500,000. Good health is worth more.

I'm just glad Naonka and Brenda are gone! *Big Smile*
    HOORAY FOR YOU!! Just what I had been thinking. Everyone has been acting like Na and Kelly quit a poker game because the seats were uncomfortable. They lasted 28 days! All this crap about "taking another player's place" is baloney! Who's to know how long ANY given player will last, until living the routine? Every random person trying out for the show has no idea how they will react under such extreme mental and physical duress...UNTIL they are living it. I think the more reasonable expectations would be that there WOULD be some "quitters" every season.
    And you can keep Holly's holier than thou attitude...SHE wanted to quit on day FIVE, and said herself...if J Johnson hadn't convinced her...she'd have left. (not to mention the shoes in the ocean bit).

I also agree that while not the nicest move...she owed the tribe nothing and killed herself just as much as the rest of her team to win the reward. Matter of fact...I wish she had called out that worthless dope Dan, and said "why don't YOU ask to give up your place at the reward? You did nothing to earn it."

I'll be curious to see if Chase defends Na at the finale when she will of course be attacked by all the "good people".

Finally, the two girls leaving has NOTHING to do with the already voted out players' fate, imo. THey were voted out...end of story. Deal with it.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;4119135;
    HOORAY FOR YOU!! Just what I had been thinking. Everyone has been acting like Na and Kelly quit a poker game because the seats were uncomfortable. They lasted 28 days! All this crap about "taking another player's place" is baloney! Who's to know how long ANY given player will last, until living the routine? Every random person trying out for the show has no idea how they will react under such extreme mental and physical duress...UNTIL they are living it. I think the more reasonable expectations would be that there WOULD be some "quitters" every season.
    And you can keep Holly's holier than thou attitude...SHE wanted to quit on day FIVE, and said herself...if J Johnson hadn't convinced her...she'd have left. (not to mention the shoes in the ocean bit).

I also agree that while not the nicest move...she owed the tribe nothing and killed herself just as much as the rest of her team to win the reward. Matter of fact...I wish she had called out that worthless dope Dan, and said "why don't YOU ask to give up your place at the reward? You did nothing to earn it."

I'll be curious to see if Chase defends Na at the finale when she will of course be attacked by all the "good people".

Finally, the two girls leaving has NOTHING to do with the already voted out players' fate, imo. THey were voted out...end of story. Deal with it.
    I meant...the voted out players, not posters, should "deal with it"

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;4118283;
    Thing is, Dan disgusts me more. He does nothing, ever, and gets a pass each time.
    Agreed. I really hope Dan will be voted out next; he does not deserve the money at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;4119135;
    While I totally agree about Dan being a worthless dope (), I sort of think Nay DID owe the tribe a little bit. Stolen food, stolen socks, unnecessary drama...it wouldn't have killed her to give up the reward in order to make the remaining people a little more comfortable. No, she absolutely didn't have to, but that gesture would have went a long way in redeeming how she'll be remembered.

But there doesn't seem to be much kindness in Nay's heart, unless it benefits her. Gifted immunity idol aside, I still think she's a selfish cow.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleGemini;4119099;
    If Nay's anemia was so bad that she had joint pain, how'd she pass the physical?
    The game itself is a kind of physical. How did she do so well on the physical challenges, including that last one, if she was so anemic? Doesn't make sense to me.

The anemias I'm familiar with don't result in joint pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;4119205;
    The game itself is a kind of physical. How did she do so well on the physical challenges, including that last one, if she was so anemic? Doesn't make sense to me.

The anemias I'm familiar with don't result in joint pain.
    I was wondering that about the challenge, as well. She did very well in it.

Also, if her anemia was so bad, how'd she pass the physical and why didn't she get to take her medication? I'm sure that the producers would have made sure she at least had that. I think she was just making excuses.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM;4119168;
    Agreed. I really hope Dan will be voted out next; he does not deserve the money at all.
    No one is going to vote Dan out, he is the perfect person to take to the final three or final two, no jury is going to vote to give him the million dollars. The only way that was would have happened is if Dan and NaOinka were in the final two.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread