+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Re: 10/13 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4083622;
    Why don't they kill the rooster? The chickens will still lay eggs...Dumb,dumb,dumb.
    I know - I was yelling at the screen when Benry (?) grabbed a hen by the neck and pulled it out of the pen. I kept expecting someone to tell him - no, take the ROOSTER! Then I wondered, do they not know the difference between a hen and a rooster? Or, do they think hens require roosters in order to lay eggs?
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks;4084034;
    I thought only happy chickens laid eggs once a day and that unhappy chickens might not lay at all.
    There you go. In the past they have had pens of chickens with no roosters that didn't lay at all.

Perhaps the survivors were actually smart enough to know that chickens quite often lay better with a rooster in the pen. They said they were getting only one egg a day, and perhaps they knew which hen was laying and which wasn't. In that case, it would be wise to keep the rooster and lose the unlaying hen.

I don't know why hens feel happier with a rooster around, perhaps it's a protection thing because the rooster has talons and such. And killing the chicken doesn't bother me. All chickens get killed so we can eat them. If they gave the Survivors meat as the reward, I don't think anyone would be bothered much, but those animals were still killed.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 10-15-2010 at 08:31 AM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4083652;
    Pretty much the same as with humans. Then again, a lot of people don't know how their OWN species works.
    But fortunately, we don't have an egg a day... could you imagine the pms? All of us girls would be NaOnkas.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4084473;
    There you go. In the past they have had pens of chickens with no roosters that didn't lay at all.

Perhaps the survivors were actually smart enough to know that chickens quite often lay better with a rooster in the pen. They said they were getting only one egg a day, and perhaps they knew which hen was laying and which wasn't. In that case, it would be wise to keep the rooster and lose the unlaying hen.

I don't know why hens feel happier with a rooster around, perhaps it's a protection thing because the rooster has talons and such. And killing the chicken doesn't bother me. All chickens get killed so we can eat them. If they gave the Survivors meat as the reward, I don't think anyone would be bothered much, but those animals were still killed.
    I have raised my own laying hens for years now and we have NEVER had a rooster. Some hens will lay an egg a day, some lay an egg every other day, or every 18 hours. It depends on the hen. A chicken is not smart enough to know that a rooster would "protect" them. Their brains are the size of a walnut! Caged chickens that are kept in confined spaces too small to even turn around continue to produce eggs, so I highly doubt that happiness has anything to do with it. A rooster is not needed for the hen to lay eggs. I suspect that no one on the tribe could tell the difference between a rooster and a hen, or if they did, didn't want to say anything and bring attention to themselves. That seems to be a reason to get voted off, especially this season.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Actually, chickens are very smart. They can identify each other by their clucks. Even in a pen with hundreds of chickens. They also become very protective of each other. I had to research and write a paper on it when I was in college. I also grew up on a chicken farm.

That said...I don't mind that they kill and eat a chicken. I don't want to see it, even though I've done it many times. It's not like we don't know where our freezer chicken comes from.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;4084473;
    Actually I took that statement as not that only one hen was laying but that it was only 1 egg a day that they'd be losing out on if they killed the chicken. They felt like the 1 egg a day was worthy of giving up for the meat that day.

Whether I agree with that or not is a whole different matter!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4084781;
    Actually I took that statement as not that only one hen was laying but that it was only 1 egg a day that they'd be losing out on if they killed the chicken. They felt like the 1 egg a day was worthy of giving up for the meat that day.

Whether I agree with that or not is a whole different matter!
    But why eat the chicken before tribal? I'd save it for challenge day. Go in strong.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4084569;
    I have raised my own laying hens for years now and we have NEVER had a rooster. Some hens will lay an egg a day, some lay an egg every other day, or every 18 hours. It depends on the hen. A chicken is not smart enough to know that a rooster would "protect" them. Their brains are the size of a walnut! Caged chickens that are kept in confined spaces too small to even turn around continue to produce eggs, so I highly doubt that happiness has anything to do with it. A rooster is not needed for the hen to lay eggs. I suspect that no one on the tribe could tell the difference between a rooster and a hen, or if they did, didn't want to say anything and bring attention to themselves. That seems to be a reason to get voted off, especially this season.
    Growing up, we had laying hens too. We always had a rooster in the pen, though we never attempted to raise chicks. When I asked my dad why we had the rooster then... he said it was because hens laid better when there was a rooster in the pen. We had hens without roosters sometimes, and they laid eggs of course. But my dad was convinced they laid better when the rooster was there.

Typically, the hens on Survivor do not lay well because of the stress. Hens quite often stop laying for a while when moved or in a stressed state. Perhaps the rooster does keep them happier. For whatever reason.

I was sorry to see Tyrone go. He was one of my favorites.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Finally got to watch this episode.
    as for chicken/rooster debate: I can't believe that chicken-hood is so misunderstood. I read some of the offsite links posted here and was astonished that people thought "chicken" was the proper name for a "hen" and that they didn't know a "rooster" was a chicken.

I love to cook so I know that the French dish of Coq au Vin was created by using the tired old rooster, cooked slowly in a lot of wine to tenderize the tough old bird so roosters are definitely eaten.

I don't know anything about chickens except what I learned in school & cookbooks but I did have a duck for 11 years and she laid an egg almost everyday and never saw a male duck in her life. My father ate them all!!

And I also agree: I don't want to see chicken-cide or boar-cide on Survivor.

Anyone going on Survivor should know 1. how to make fire and 2. not eat any more than any other tribe member. Dumb ol' Tyrone shot himself in the foot with that move.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast