+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: NaOnka Mixon - Nicaragua (La Flor)

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Re: NaOnka Mixon - Nicaragua (La Flor)

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4086238;
    Well, remember, the thing she's most proud of is that she has NOT had a kid yet, so hopefully she knows how not to.
    Sadly I actually liked her for that statement... it showed something about the situation she came from, where it was apparently normal for girls, and I do mean girls, to have babies young, and that she was escaping from it. Sadly, because she's done nothing to live up to it---certainly not recognizing another person who "escaped" from the rough hand life dealt her, Kelly B.
    From what I read, she grew up in Long Beach, CA. That's a fairly upscale town - NOT the "hood" or the ghetto!!
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

i think that's ridiculous. fire her for what?

Quote Originally Posted by estygal4;4071192;

I agree....the parents, kids, other teachers...and her supervisor and school board should "vote her out" when she gets back
    really one of the most unlikable characters ever IMHO

and please don't say it is just "editing"

i'm with you . . . . i mean it's a GAME, she's playing to WIN! a major part of any gameplay is being aware of and exploiting your opponents weaknesses. i mean, was she supposed to play "nice" and "fair" and hop along on one leg or something? if kelly had really wanted that clue, she should have gone for it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess;4076555;
    I didn't like NaOnka at first, but I've really come to like her a lot!

She's quite blunt and I love that. I'm glad that she was willing to knock the basket out and get the clue, because the girl with the artificial leg was thinking the exact same thing, and she was definitely acting like a victim after it all, PUH-lease!

lo,i work for a school board and trust me, she def is not going to get fired for this. and yes, it's a hell of a process to fire a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4077594;
    Have you seen that they have? I think they would have to go through a "process"--union rules and all, unless she wasn't really a teacher, just some kind of aide or temp.

there are very affluent areas of long beach and very poor areas of long beach.

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie;4089048;
    From what I read, she grew up in Long Beach, CA. That's a fairly upscale town - NOT the "hood" or the ghetto!!

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;4089252;
    there are very affluent areas of long beach and very poor areas of long beach.
    Yes, there are - as there are in most cities. I doubt she grew up on food stamps, so the "cut her some slack as she clawed her way up from the gutter" point doesn't apply. Plus, her YMCA job is in Westchester, CA - a very affluent city.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

FORT Newbie

The movie (and book) Freedom Writers took place in Long Beach and it was portrayed to be a pretty rough place with a lot of poverty and gang activity. That is in no way a defense of NaOnka - she is a nightmare!

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4085349;
    He's the d-bag that accepted the car from Yauman in exchange for later immunity, and then screwed Yauman over. It's a good thing that these two crapsacks have found each other and aren't inflicting themselves on other potentially decent human beings.
    I could not have said it better myself!
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie;4089048;
    Long Beach is far from upscale. Maybe not the hood or the ghetto, but it's pretty crappy there.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by buttahfly;4089245;
    i'm with you . . . . i mean it's a GAME, she's playing to WIN! a major part of any gameplay is being aware of and exploiting your opponents weaknesses. i mean, was she supposed to play "nice" and "fair" and hop along on one leg or something? if kelly had really wanted that clue, she should have gone for it immediately.
    No one is saying she should do that, anymore than anyone else on the island is. But you'll notice no one else is obsessed with making remarks about the "one legged girl'--the others can see that she's a good competitor and an asset to her team. True, after the merge you might worry about sympathy votes, especially if she also has a nice personality, but you don't HATE her just because she has one leg---and that's how NaOnka comes across. And note, I was I think the first person here to say there was nothing wrong with what NaOnka did that we saw in the tussle for the clue. Competing with her as if she had two legs isn't what people are objecting to, it's the vitriol in her comments about her leg. This woman is a gym teacher of some kind--surely not every child in her care is completely physically fit. What does she say to the children who aren't? It's a scary thought if she gets that freaked out by a missing leg.

+ Reply to Thread