+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: That fire was intentional!

FORT Fogey

The fire still rages

Originally posted by Deep Dish
    I once left my Air Jordans in the closet of a time share in New Bern, South Carolina. It was total stupidity on my part but I still felt pretty damn awful.

It sucks to lose something you value. I have no idea how the sorority system works but apparently Jenna did place value in her lost irreplaceables.

Butch should have shown a bit more compassion, I think.
    DD, I am reeling with the feeling.

First of all, let me take on your comments, one by one. The first one regarding the Air Jordans is so intriguing because it leaves the reader (me) begging for more. I didn't even know there are time shares in New Bern, SC. Hell, I didn't know there was a New Bern, SC.

Secondly, Butch was feeling so guilty because he had amassed this huge amount of firewood and left it right beside the untended fire. He knew he would ultimately get the blame, no matter what. He might have shown compassion, we don't really know since the camera was too busy focusing on the Zeta Queen and her Handmaiden.

I think Butch didn't want to accept that he was responsbile. I'm sure he felt horrible.

However, I do NOT feel sorry for Jenna over losing her Zeta crap. If it was that valuable, don't take it out in the jungle with you. I feel bad for ALL Of them that their shelter was destroyed.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Miss Filangi
    However, I do NOT feel sorry for Jenna over losing her Zeta crap. If it was that valuable, don't take it out in the jungle with you. I feel bad for ALL Of them that their shelter was destroyed.
    I'd like to think I'm valuable to my parents yet they took me to dangerous Niagra Falls where I could have plummeted to my death when they sat me on the railing for a picture.

This rough camping was an ordeal and I don't buy that "you should not have brought it" argument. Why take anything anywhere? I'm sure her intent wasn't to lose it. Maybe get it muddy or wet or bitten by a fish. But not lose it.

FORT Fogey

Stop trying to make sense of it

Originally posted by Deep Dish
    I'd like to think I'm valuable to my parents yet they took me to dangerous Niagra Falls where I could have plummeted to my death when they sat me on the railing for a picture.

This rough camping was an ordeal and I don't buy that "you should not have brought it" argument. Why take anything anywhere? I'm sure her intent wasn't to lose it. Maybe get it muddy or wet or bitten by a fish. But not lose it.
    Wow, we're being a bit feisty today, are we not? Maybe it was a flashback to Niagara Falls and teetering on the brink of plummeting into the roiling, turbulent Falls.

DD, I've missed you and your clever, biting wit, but honestly everyone else lost stuff too. It begs the question, where in the jungle is it appropriate to wear your crown and Zeta jacket?

Sitting on the railing at Niagara Falls is a little different from surviving 39 days in the middle of the Amazon with no luxuries and only the stuff in your pack.

A Zeta Crown is the current leader for "most useless object ever brought to the Amazon", so useless in fact, that they haven't even shown it to us. Even Stephanie's fuzzy slippers form last season got some airtime.

I respectfully disagree, DD.. and I'd like to say a big to the others above.

I assume your parents were watching you the whole time. Not leaving you on the railing for 30+ days. It's a bit different.

Bringing something that is sentimental to you is one thing... even Heidi's jump rope served some purpose. The useless Zeta crown is just another indication that Jenna is all about herself.. something that represents status, something that serves no purpose other than to draw attention to herself. (it is a CROWN for heaven's sake) To bitch and moan when someone like Matt has lost even the shirt off hs back is a little over the top.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Fogey

Re: Stop trying to make sense of it

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    DD, I've missed you and your clever, biting wit, but honestly everyone else lost stuff too. It begs the question, where in the jungle is it appropriate to wear your crown and Zeta jacket?
    In the words of Eminem: Guess who's back? Guess who's back? Guess who's back...

I concede that the utility of a sorority jacket or heirloom is near useless. However, meet me half-way (thank you Kenny Loggins) on this: If you are about to undertake the biggest challenge of your life (Survivor, in rough camping conditions), why not bring something that serves no practical purpose other than a mental/emotional stimulant that you could somehow feed off of?

John & Miss Filangi, I truly understand that in the course of the series, Jenna has given you more than enough to prove herself a self-centered individual but does that negate the sense of loss? I think not.

God bless sangria!

i guess there's a cameraman who always stays while the contestants are away...remember thailand, how they shot Magilla stealing the foods...

and i agree that they did not let it rage out of control...otherwise they will be paying a lot of money to the government...but they just let it burned important survivor things as well as their shelter...

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I agree with John several posts above.

The camera crew/man/woman should not have intervened and kept the fire from destroying personal belongings or their shelter.

I do think it was their responsibility to keep the fire from causing a major catastrophe to the land, however, and I'm betting that that was done (off camera), as that fire could easily have gotten out of hand.

Mark Burnett also created the Eco Challenge, based on respect for the environment. Each event is designed to have minimum impact on the land and strict environmental guidelines must be followed. Disqualification and a lifetime ban from all future Eco-Challenge events are imposed on any team that breaches the tough environmental guidelines/regulations.

Though Survivor is a different competition, I can't imagine his philosophy would change. I'm sure it was not only a moral but also a contractual responsibility to ensure that the fire remained in control.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Jumpin' on the Clay Train Bdawg's Avatar
    I agree, Bravofan, I'm just surprised they had the necessary equipment to put out a fire of that magnitude. That was a pretty big blaze! I'm sure they had fire extinguishers that would put out a small fire, but I don't think that fire could have just died without something more heavy duty. Maybe we will find out at the reunion show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast