+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heidi's Guest Appearance On The Morning Show For Those That Missed It

Heidi's Guest Appearance On The Morning Show For Those That Missed It

May 9, 2003

Heidi Strobel (CBS/The Early Show)

"I played as a hard-core athlete, not as a teacher."
    Heidi Strobel

(CBS) It's coming down to the wire on Survivor: The Amazon. Jenna, Butch, Matt and Rob are in the final four after Heidi saw her million-dollar dreams go up in smoke. The 24-year-old P.E. teacher from Buffalo, Mo., the latest Survivor outcast to chat with The Early Show's Julie Chen.

At tribal council, Heidi had been pretty confident that she'd make it to the end. She had boldly referred to herself as a “mastermind,” and stated that she deserved to reach the final four. She even went as far as to say that the three men felt threatened by her. Chen wanted to know if she regretted making that speech. Was she a little overconfident?

"No, not overconfident," Heidi replied. "I was -- I was very, I think angry at that time. Where you work so hard to get where you're at, trying to make deals go, and trying to make things go the way you want them to, and then they just don't and you're like oh, darn it."

Why did she think she was booted?

"I know that the three guys were definitely in a hard-core alliance. And I know I was -- I mean, when it got down to the wire, you have to get rid of any competition you have."

When the game first began, it was the women vs. the men. Did she think that was how the game was ending up?

"I don't believe it just boils down to men versus women in the end. I definitely think it has to do with your relationships. You know, who has what in common with who -- you know, 'how can I see myself in the end with the final two.' And Rob was saying earlier I see myself at a better chance with Jenna. So obviously he wasn't thinking of it as guys against girls. And I know I wasn't either."

During the game, Heidi spoke a lot about loyalty being important to her. Chen noted that Jenna had been her buddy "through and through." But yet when Jenna displayed some weakness, it seemed like Heidi was going in for the kill. What was going on there?

"It does appear that way, definitely," Heidi replied. "But as I'm having the speech with Rob about, you know, she's sick and everything, she's right there. It's not like I was going behind her back. She was asking us, 'Heidi, is there any way I can go before you?' At that point, I felt there was no way I could win this game at all. I just thought, you know, well that's fine, she's sick, she'll go one day before me and I'll go the very next day. It wasn't like I was trying to beat her. It was just like she was sick. We were like maybe she can go first and I'll go the next day. At least one of us will be closer to the million dollar prize."

What was her strategy? People watching at home definitely felt as if she and Jenna used their sex appeal to get ahead. Was that a fair assessment?

"It is a fair assessment after a certain point," she answered. "Like in the beginning, that was not my plan at all. But once you see how the guys react to you in challenges and whatnot, then you're like, okay if this is how they're reacting to me, why not use it? I had no plan of that whatsoever. But you feed off what they give you. So I felt like if that can distract them from me trying to play the game out here, go for it."

Chen brought up the fact that on the previous week Christy had been on The Early Show and she was angry. She had called Heidi and Jenna the evil stepsisters. Chen offered Heidi the chance to give a "two-minute rebuttal."

"You know, I -- that one's hard. Because I really do like Christy a lot," she said. "I think it's hard because you have -- what 39 days -- to get to know somebody. And it's kind of like, if you're turned off from them in the beginning it's hard to make that relationship. In real life, it would have gone completely different. In the game of Survivor, it can't. You have only so much time to work on certain relationships.

A viewer wanted to know what made Heidi think she was such a key player in the game. The viewer said all she saw was Heidi, Jenna and Alex laying around, not willing to help, while the others did all the work and Heidi acted like the prom queen.

"Oh, ouch," Heidi said. "Okay. Well, I mean, that's hard to say. Because I mean there is a lot of -- I do understand where you're coming from. It does appear that way on TV. And you know, they've only got 45 minutes to show you what is going on. And there are times where I'm working. In the end, I was very angry. And that was, you know, and my real attitude is not like that at all. But you know, in the end it was kind of like I'm very angry so I'm going to rebel against you guys by not working."

Another viewer let Heidi have it: "Heidi, when Christy first announced she was deaf, you specifically made some really nasty comments about her. Since you claim you have ethics regarding personal relationships, why was her deafness a reason for you and the other prima donnas to alienate her as severely as you did?"

"Oh. I don't know what nasty comment you're referring to. I think the only thing that I ever said was it was hard to communicate with her. And that was not for the obvious reasons. It was because she got lost on the first or second day. And you know, it was really hard to find her. It was, like, okay, if that happens in a challenge or reward, I'm not sure what to do here. I was very excited to have Christy as a part of our team."

Yet another viewer was also bothered by some of Heidi's behavior. "Heidi, you also made several derogatory comments about people that were older than you, not as pretty as you or as skinny as you. As a teacher, I wonder if you plan to continue projecting those views on your students, or did you somehow gain enlightenment in the Amazon?"

(Heidi is phys-ed teacher at a middle school.)

"Yes. I do well understand that. No, I mean, nothing of my character on this show represents me as a teacher whatsoever. I played as a hard-core athlete, not as a teacher. And those comments come from other people saying things about myself. It was kind of like they hit me first but they show me hitting back. I mean, Deena's calling me a pantywaist, Janet and Jeanne and Joanna are all over me. And then that's what you get. You're like okay, first time shame on you. Second time shame on me. It was a little hard to go there.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I saw this this afternoon. It was classic. Finally the fans ask the tough questions and they get through!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

actually, i never saw anyone "hitting hard" against heidi and jenna. i saw them make all kins of hideous comments in their confessionals about others though. and i saw them on at least four different occassions sit around and specifically talk about NOT working for various reasons (not enough extra body fat, advantage alliance, bitterness at being burned by rob, bitterness about being next to go), three of those times being long before the one Heidi refers to about. i'm sure editing exaggerates things a bit, but they SAID it outloud. We are not working. I don't recall a single other person throughout the game doing that, except shawna who got booted days later and rob/alex in that momentary and awful alliance of four. this girl is so so delluded. and one more thing--39 days with very little to do and even less energy is a LONG time to get to know someone Heidi. I'm sure quite a few other players got to know Christy within that narrow window...
    get therapy.

I'll bet Heidi thought she would be another Elisabeth or Neleh....never imagining that she would make Jerri Manthy look like America's sweetheart. I bet she and Jenna are going to be so hurt and whiney at the reunion show.

An excerpt from the "Poor Jenna (and Heidi)" show a.k.a. the Survivor Amazon reunion show:

JENNA: "They were so mean, mean to ME, in editing. They edited in a bad personality for me! Why would they do that to ME?"

HEIDI: "Everything I said was provoked--they just didn't show that part. When I said I was cute, or that I shouldn't have to work because I'm attractively thin, unlike the heavier women who have fat resources to draw on....stuff like that...well, you didn't see the part where Deena said things like I wasn't working very hard or I wasn't pulling my weight around the camp...I mean, obviously, since my weight is so small in comparison to hers, that wouldn't be a lot of work I should have to do, right? It was all the editing!"

JENNA: "I don't understand why people say means things about me now. About ME! I mean, I guess I know why...because all the people who are saying these things are just jealous because I'm so beautiful. I'm really used to people hating me. So much jealousy!" *shakes her head sadly*
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Jumpin' on the Clay Train Bdawg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that, Oceansands. I watched it this morning, but my husband and I were yelling at the TV so much, we missed some of it.

Ocean -- that's great. Thanks for putting that up. My work tends to interfere with my Survivor habit, so i didn't see the morning shows. Thanks for feeding the curiousity!

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    Thanks for the post on Heidi-ho's guest appearance. I missed it because I didn't want to look at her any longer than I had to. There was much happiness in my house last night when she was finally booted. I can't stand her and reading what she said justified my feelings of repugnance for her and Jenna. They are both horrible people. Editing or not, she said those stupid things or we wouldn't have been shown them. I can very happily say "Buh-bye, Heidi-ho and good riddance"!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Breathless, it was worth looking at her to see her get called on her actions. Ah, I'm hoping the calls to Jenna are just as rewarding!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Newbie
    39 days isn't enough days to get to know somebody? it's not as if they had an 8-5 job out there and could only hang out after work. they had 24 hours. in the past survivors, several contestants mentioned how boring it was. i would think you would have plenty of time to cultivate friendships or get to know people. she is full of it.

Jumpin' on the Clay Train Bdawg's Avatar
    512mom, Heidi is definitely full of it - I'm just not sure what "it" is!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast