+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Interview with Tom — “They would have put his head in a bowling bag.”

Re: Survivor: Interview with Tom — “They would have put his head in a bowling bag.”

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3854926;
    I didn't watch Tom's previous season, but I think that he sounds bitter. I understand disappointment.

It's almost a given that the older people get voted off soon (except for Bob), although I haven't watched all the seasons. I think it all comes down to personal dynamics (duh).

I feel compassion for him.
    Normally I'd say "too bad, so sad" if they're bitter, but in Tom's case, I totally understand. He was similar for the most part to his season in attitude, but really got tangled up with a bunch of egoists who think that an injured player is worth more than a healthy one.

Honestly, I'd be bitter knowing that not only had they kept an injured player - and a serious one at that, over another player for "numbers" sake, but that the injured could up being evacuated out next day - meaning I lost three days more in the game over a popularity contest.

And, it's worse when Tom knows James is one of those who has had that happen before, though that case it was an infected finger.

Out of all the older players that have won - Tom simply DOMINATED the competition. He won all the crucial individual immunity challenges he needed, and was respected enough that one player - Ian, kept his word he'd vote himself out of the final two if Tom won. Tom also told him he didn't want to honor that promise (this was after the longest held final immunity challenge - over 12 hours), but Ian insisted. So, yeah, this case I think it was more numbers than power - if they paid attention, this was the one "old man" that was more valuable than an injured player.

Re: Survivor: Interview with Tom — “They would have put his head in a bowling bag.”

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3854982;
    Normally I'd say "too bad, so sad" if they're bitter, but in Tom's case, I totally understand. He was similar for the most part to his season in attitude, but really got tangled up with a bunch of egoists who think that an injured player is worth more than a healthy one.

Honestly, I'd be bitter knowing that not only had they kept an injured player - and a serious one at that, over another player for "numbers" sake, but that the injured could up being evacuated out next day - meaning I lost three days more in the game over a popularity contest.

And, it's worse when Tom knows James is one of those who has had that happen before, though that case it was an infected finger.

Out of all the older players that have won - Tom simply DOMINATED the competition. He won all the crucial individual immunity challenges he needed, and was respected enough that one player - Ian, kept his word he'd vote himself out of the final two if Tom won. Tom also told him he didn't want to honor that promise (this was after the longest held final immunity challenge - over 12 hours), but Ian insisted. So, yeah, this case I think it was more numbers than power - if they paid attention, this was the one "old man" that was more valuable than an injured player.
    Again, I haven't watched all the seasons, including Tom's.

I'm not a fan of clique mentality, nor discrimination.

It does sound like there was a gap that can't be written off as merely a generation gap.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3854926;
    I didn't watch Tom's previous season, but I think that he sounds bitter. I understand disappointment.

It's almost a given that the older people get voted off soon (except for Bob), although I haven't watched all the seasons. I think it all comes down to personal dynamics (duh).

I feel compassion for him.
    Not so much bitter as disgusted with his tribemates, logic and overall game play.

I also like how he mentions that individual challenges tend to be finesse type challenges not relying on brute strength and how JT said that is where you want James to be cause he has no balance, can't swim and isn't smart. In other words you can beat him.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3855008;
    Not so much bitter as disgusted with his tribemates, logic and overall game play.
    I also like how he mentions that individual challenges tend to be finesse type challenges not relying on brute strength and how JT said that is where you want James to be cause he has no balance, can't swim and isn't smart. In other words you can beat him.
    Totally agree, especially with the bolded. I don't think he's bitter, but I do think he is very realistic about the other players and how they were playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3854572;
    When you’re back home watching it on TV, what surprised you most about the Villains’ tribe?

Surprises: oh, I guess the animosity of Russell and Rob, or I guess that should be the animosity of Russell towards Rob. That should be the guy he’s allying with, but his ego won’t allow him to do it, you know. God forbid it’s not the Russell Show, so he’s gonna go after Rob when the two of ‘em could be natural allies I think and play this game well together. And you know, not that Rob isn’t playing as villainous a game as he has in the past but if you do have the villain role you want another villain across from you in the final vote, so I’d say Russell’s a perfect guy to jump on and play the game with because you’ll beat him in the end. I think that might be my surprise is how wrapped up Russell is in the image of Russell and the strategy of Russell.
    i found it interesting that tom sees right through russell.
    _(Moo!)

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3854987;
    Again, I haven't watched all the seasons, including Tom's.

I'm not a fan of clique mentality, nor discrimination.

It does sound like there was a gap that can't be written off as merely a generation gap.
    There was - plain and simple.

And I too am not a fan of clique mentality - one reason that I'm probably enjoying the villains wipe out the heroes tribe so soundly - save Russell's ego, which could harm them if he keeps thinking it's the Russell show, they're doing just that.

I'm glad Tom got that chocolate though - rebel to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;3855037;
    Tom was pretty sharp in his season with this stuff too. Fortunately for Russell (or unfortunately depending on your POV), he was ousted by a bunch of idiots who would think that Russell would fit in and give them the swing vote... not getting that he'll blindside you faster than a board hitting you in the head.

I think Rob has cottoned on, but isn't saying anything, but he'd be the ONLY other one I can think of as far as Russell.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Interesting interview.
    I don't think Tom can blame it on an age difference. Sure, he's 45, but Cirie is 39 and they were just fine with her as a leader. And Rupert is no spring chicken--he's the same age as Tom.
    Yes, they may have bored him, but I bet he didn't go to any great lengths to hide it. In some ways he's nearly as bad at the social game as Russell. He only bonds with certain types of "worthy" people, almost all men who kind of look up to him. The whole "man's man" kind of thing. He also insists on defining the game in terms that fit his strengths, just like Russell does. So James, who has allies, should go before Tom because he's not as strong or smart as Tom. The social game is important, and if you dont make it to the merge where winning individual immunities can save you, you need to play it to make sure your teammates want to keep you around.
    Last edited by PWS; 03-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I agree that Tom is very well spoken, almost too well-spoken. He seems to try to mask his bitterness with comments such as:

Do you think the leg brace was an unfair advantage?

I don’t know. Like I said, I don’t whine about the game, it is what it is. I had a bunch of people asking me why was that OK?
    Very smarmy. In other words, I won't say, but a whole bunch of other people thought so! lol
    Conclusion? Unfair... without me having to come out and say it.
    It's a very subtly manipulative way of talking and Tom is an expert.

Another thing he spoke of was the "younger people" doing it three times...
    Yeah, it’s the third season in a row and you know for some of these young kids it’s some way to live your life you know it’s three years, three seasons of Survivor, it’s kind of, yeah, what else?
    And basically saying they're there for the fame, but he's done it twice, and admits that going for a third time wouldn't be out of the question. Then, he talks about his "legacy".
    I find this quote the most revealling about the Tom:
    I tried to use that as leverage with Rupert, because I do think that—I warned him, “I don’t think you’re gonna look too good the way, the alliances you’ve made and the strategies you’re playing.” I was appealing to his vanity, telling him, “Dude, this isn’t gonna go well for both of you.” He didn’t listen to me and I think I’m being proven that he should’ve. I don’t think, maybe the salvation for Rupert comes later but I think America’s kind of scratching their heads: “What was it we liked about this guy?”
    I like Rupert more this season than I ever have. And a great deal of that has to do with the fact that Rupert, despite his broken toe and ineptitude around camp, has managed to firmly plant himself in a big alliance. He's an older guy, no big past friend of Amanda or JT, yet he managed to do what Tom couldn't. Perhaps that's part of the reason Tom is so bitter about him. Why would Rupert buy into Tom's "this isn't going well for you"?? The public perception by the majority may not be great for Rupert, but right now, his game is good.

"THE SALVATION OF RUPERT"? That's hilarious. How does Tom get to decide who needs salvation in this game? It's ridiculous to me. I think of all the Survivors there, Tom is more interested in how he is perceived by the public than anyone else.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAmyG;3855037;
    Well, I'm sure he's seen the finale like the rest of us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast