+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivor: Interview With Randy - "Half of them are idiots and half of them aren't."

Survivor: Interview With Randy - "Half of them are idiots and half of them aren't."

The latest to get the boot from the Villains tribe is brutally honest, somewhat misanthropic Randy. Read on as he dishes about his experience this time out and what he really thinks of Boston Rob and Russell. It ain't pretty. But did you expect any different?

What was your strategy this year? They didn’t really show you forming alliances and working with anyone. Was your strategy to lay low?

Yeah, you’re right. I figured going into this season - and I feel this way in every season - I didn’t form any alliances in Gabon until day 19. I think early alliances can come back to haunt you. I went out there thinking there would be bigger targets than me, and I’d worry about alliances later. You know, we had several millionaires out there playing! But I did have bonds, and you saw that last night in Coach and Jerri and Tyson going to bat for me, working on Parvati. I was doing that too. Unfortunately, I did that with Russell on the first day.

What was your biggest surprise on Samoa?

Probably just how easy we had it on Gabon. A tropical island is a lot tougher. A lot tougher. But, with that being said, I had forgotten - the first week in Gabon was tough, too, but once you make the first week, it gets easier. I guess I was kinda surprised that these “All Stars” aren’t that much different than your first time playing. Half of them are idiots and half of them aren’t.

I was intrigued by your vote for Rob. What was your strategy there, did you think anybody else would be voting for him?

Oh, of course not. We had been campaigning the entire game for Parvati. And I felt that Rob took the easy way out and voted me out. I was sending a message to everybody else - that we’ve watched him in two seasons already and the guy’s a scumbag.

That leads me to my next question. Was there anybody who was totally not how you expected them to be in the game?

I would have to answer that....Courtney. I knew Courtney, I’d met her a few times in New York and always got along great with her, and she seemed...you know, I kinda liked her. And I didn’t like her at all in the game. What’s funny about that, I like her again now, outside the game. [laughs] But, I don’t want to play with her again.

What was your feel on Coach out there? Did you believe his stories?

I believe there’s truth to every single one of them. I also believe some of them may be embellished. But, knowing Coach, it works for him. The stories are entertaining and whether or not they’re true has nothing to do with it.

When Sugar was interviewed, she made the comment that she would have liked to work with you if you were on the same tribe. Would you have worked with her?

No.

Why’s that?

She...uh...no, I wouldn’t. Believe it or not, she doesn’t know what she was doing. She was the recipient of a lot of crazy twists in Gabon that got her a long way in the game. I didn’t want to work with her, no. If I was forced into it, I could have, but that wasn’t gonna happen this season. When I got out there I fully expected that there’s no way I’m ever going to play this game with Sugar. I didn’t think it would be because we were both voted out, but I knew she didn’t have long.

Were you surprised when she was voted out?

No, not at all. What I was surprised about was they didn’t show my reaction shot. I’d been practicing that smile for months!

Was there anybody on the hero’s tribe you would have liked to work with?

You know, I don’t think so. [pauses] Actually, I’ve gotten to know some of the heroes outside of the game. It’s different to get to know people outside of the game, but I’ve made some friends amongst the heroes that yeah, I would have loved to play with. But I can’t name names because that might let some secrets out of the bag.

How was the weather in Samoa compared to your season?

Huge, huge, huge difference. Gabon was a walk in the park compared to this. We had sprinkles two or three days in Gabon, that was it. And that felt good, because you were hot. This season, it would rain and rain and rain - there’s no way to sleep. I was out there eight or nine days, and I think half the nights, I didn’t get any sleep at all.

Was there anybody missing from the cast, in your opinion?

Yeah, and there’s some people in the cast that I don’t think should be there. Corrine was asked to go, she couldn’t go because of work obligations. In my opinion, as a fan, I’ve seen Rupert - Rupert’s a great character, but it’s played out. The guy roars and he fishes. [laughter] We know Amanda looks great in a swimsuit, and you know, as a fan, I don’t want to watch that again. I probably wouldn’t even want to watch me again. But, interesting cast.

If you could, talk a little about James. He kind of yelled at you when you were stuck in the mud last night - what took place there?

What took place is exactly what you saw. I was going against James and I was kind of taunting him, and I thought it would be taken obviously as a joke because, you know, he’s so much more of a physical threat than me. It’s obvious that he was going to kill me. With my trash talking, I kinda thought that he would laugh it off, but he didn’t. He turned into a monster.

What was the reaction at the Villains camp after that? Were they surprised about how he acted?

No. I don’t think James is the gentle giant that he was portrayed in his first two seasons. I don’t think I will be voting for James for fan favorite this year. But James, I’m glad James gave it his all at the challenge, I would have been pissed at him if he’d taken it easy on me. What he did after the challenge was over, I’m sure noone regrets that more this morning than James. That didn’t make me look bad...

In that challenge, how were the matchups chosen? It seemed pretty even until it got to you and James.

The Heroes had to present a competitor, and we would counter with one of our own. So the Villains were actually calling the shots there. We decided up front that noone is going to beat James, so let’s give you guys - you guys meaning Tyson and the other men on the Villains tribe - a fighting chance. Because everybody’s going to lose to James, it might as well be me.

Tell me about when your tribe made fire without matches or flint. How long did that actually take, because you looked stunned when it happened?

They made fire a couple of times with magnifying glasses (in previous seasons), but never with two sticks. Rob had found a way to do it on the internet, using bamboo. And it really was an ingenious way. It took all five of us to accomplish it...we probably could have accomplished it with three or four people, but you had to have people sawing like crazy, and someone up top applying pressure to increase the friction. Actually, it was very simple. What it didn’t show is, we probably made fire five or six times on that very first day, but because it was so wet, we couldn’t keep it going.

It seemed like Parvati was flirting with Russell last night. Did you get that sense, too, or did they just have an alliance?

It was obvious to everybody that they were together, they were cuddling the first night. So was Courtney and Tyson. It’s not difficult to see who’s aligned with who.

You had never seen or heard of Russell before the season began - what was the general consensus? What did people think of him?

Everybody was giving him a fair shot, from what I saw. I certainly was. He had the luxury of us not seeing him pour out the water or burn people’s socks and other clothing, in season 19. If we’d seen that, you’d be talking to him right now.

Describe Boston Rob. He seems to get a good edit as a nice guy. How would you describe him?

Yeah. He must be dating Jeff Probst. [laughter in background] I don’t get it, I just don’t get it. He talks about being in the buffoon tribe three times in a row, and out of all of us, he’s the only one who has been in every one of those “buffoon” tribes. I wasn’t in the other two buffoon tribes. He has to be in the spotlight all the time. Like I said, he’s got to be dating Jeff Probst.

Who is the better player at Survivor: Russell or Boston Rob?

You know, I don’t respect the way either one of them play. I just don’t. They’re both out there trying to make an entertaining episode on tv. The only reason you bury the machete is for tv time, that’s not strategy. Boston Rob’s the same way, and I don’t respect it. I don’t consider either one of them a very good player.

Re: Survivor: Interview With Randy - "Half of them are idiots and half of them aren't

Nice interview.

I'm surprised Randy doesn't like Boston Rob. You'd think as such a hardcore Survivor fan, he'd be into someone like Boston Rob.

The game would have been much more different had Corinne been around. I think most of the tribe wanted to vote Parvati out, but they weren't cohesive about it and as a result all just went the safe route and booted Randy. Had Randy actually had at least one person he was alligned with (Corinne), I'm sure the ball to boot Parvati would have been rolling with a lot more magnitude.

Re: Survivor: Interview With Randy - "Half of them are idiots and half of them aren't

Thanks Waywyrd! Great interview. I still really like Randy.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

He certainly took one for the team going up against James.
    I liked him better this time as well....and he certainly looks better, in better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3841238[B
    Who is the better player at Survivor: Russell or Boston Rob?[/B]

You know, I donít respect the way either one of them play. I just donít. Theyíre both out there trying to make an entertaining episode on tv. The only reason you bury the machete is for tv time, thatís not strategy. Boston Robís the same way, and I donít respect it. I donít consider either one of them a very good player.
    What has Randy done that would make me consider he's a good player? Boston Rob and Russel have blindsided and manipulated the game. All I remember Randy doing is complaining. He gets good soundbites, which is his way of making an entertaining episode on tv, no?

I never liked Randy, but you can bet I'm astonished at agreeing with almost everything he said here. Great interview.

FORT Fogey

Great interview. I've been a Randy fan since Gabon. Sorry he was voted out. Smart guy, and I felt like he always got a bad edit.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3842780;
    Great interview. I've been a Randy fan since Gabon. Sorry he was voted out. Smart guy, and I felt like he always got a bad edit.
    I didn't even think his edit was that bad It's just that if anyone butted heads with Sugar, they were looked at as the villain. I always thought Randy made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm MEL;3842780;
    I think Randy is smarter than many of the people that are out there, and sometimes he surprises me with his ability to be objective, but I still think he holds grudges. I do think burying the machete was part of a strategy, not just for screen time. And while Boston Rob may also want screen time I also feel like a lot of strategy goes into his game as well. I would have liked it if he could have been a little more objective in his description of those two players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags225;3852972;
    I do think burying the machete was part of a strategy, not just for screen time.
    Russell buried the machete, not Randy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast