+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Don't forget, even the Anti-Christ will be an attractive, intelligent being that deceives everyone into thinking they are good. I was going to say that maybe Russell was the Anti-Christ, but the attractive part alone eliminates him.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3907830;
    I certainly CAN compare wearing a swastika to wearing a cross, and I have. One is a symbol of good, the other of evil. Yin and Yang. How much simpler can that be?
    But then how is it bad that he wore a cross, if it's a symbol of good (as you just said). Anyone can wear a cross, it's not a "Christian-exclusive" thing.

I accept Russell as a person, but I certainly do not accept his actions. That's part of the frustration here: he's obviously an intelligent man, and yet he chooses to behave badly and treat others poorly. It's his choice to be a selfish jerk. Worse, he revels in it. He rubs it in others faces.
    It's a GAME of deception and lying. Now I know that you don't necessarily have to use those tactics to win, but if one does choose to imply them (as Russell has,) than it is perfectly acceptable within the contexts of the game. As far as I know, he doesn't behave this way outside of the game (and yes, interviews are part of "the game").

Russell hasn't done anything to me personally? Yes, he has. He offends the heck out of me. In case that wasn't clear: HE. OFFENDS. ME. He's a bully. His actions are mean-spirited. He's a blamer who refuses - REFUSES - to take responsibility for any of his actions. Worst of all, he's wrecked my favorite show two seasons in a row. Now, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on that point, and that's perfectly fine... but that's what Russell has done TO ME. Get it?
    Personally is not referring to your feelings about him. It's about whether he has bullied or antagonized you personally, which he hasn't. Why? Because you haven't played Survivor with him. I'm sorry you feel that he's "wrecked" your favourite show two seasons in a row, but clearly most people disagree with you, as he won the Player of the Season (yes, that's what it's called) award twice in a row.

Russell is NOT a "good guy." He's not anyone to look up to. His values, his actions and everything he exhibits publicly are not the generally accepted definition of "good." There may be a million YouTube postings that show him being a different person away from the game... that just makes it worse. That only means that he's taken the golden opportunity to reach millions of people and has chosen to prop himself up, squawk about how amazing he is and generally behave like a spoiled child.
    Russell doesn't pretend to be a good guy, and in fact I never said he was. He was on the Villains tribe for crying out loud. And what do you mean, "golden opportunity to reach millions of people?" He's playing Survivor for a million dollars, not hosting a charity telethon. Survivor isn't all "oh, you're so nice, I feel really bad abut voting you out tonight, bla bla bla." I can be if you choose it to be, but Russell hasn't chosen it that way, as have many before him.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3907883;
    Thank you for this article. It pretty much confirms everything I thought about Russell. There were many VERY disturbing things that he said in that interview. Much of it did not surprise me in the least.

So, I will only pick out one that was downright chilling, though. Russell's strategy for playing Survivor was he wanted to completely "control people" by making them as miserable as possible, by pouring out water and by weakening them due to hunger. Then he went on to compare his strategy to that of World War Two starving prisoners of war, and said they're "weak-minded people".

That just sent chills up my spine.

Magnum... bear in mind that Russell won it by a mere 2,000 votes over Rupert (remember, we are a nation of over 363 million people), who this prize was given out for to begin with (it started in All-Stars). That alone makes this more of a booby prize than a true "player of the season."

Anyone can vote for him for any reason (including spite, entertaining, just to show him that it's the only thing he'll win... and even after this season he may not win it because most people do not like him).

And logically one has to assume he won simply because the votes were divided up so thinly amongst the others.

Remember - we see the edited version of these people, we're not getting the whole picture, and that DOES taint any "POTS" win (and yes, I'd be saying this if Ethan Zohn, Paschal, Neleh, Gina, T-Bird, or 81-year old Rudy had played this season and won this consolation prize - some of the most beloved contestants ever.)

It also wasn't called that until Sprint took over, which was maybe 2-4 seasons back.

BUT, no one can edit Russell's bullying tactics, Sandra's sarcasm and bluntness, Parvati's shrewdness and smirks, or even Rupert this season into something that is other than who they truly are. To me - how you present yourself is worth a whole lot more than the mere $100,000 you get for this prize or the half a million you get after taxes if you win.

Money goes away, character does not until you die.

My question to Russell would be - is it really worth your chance of job advancement, trying to get another career, even be on another "Survivor" or reality show - to win this title of "Sole Survivor" you will never have until you wake up and pull a Jerri and CHANGE your attitude.

Personally I think all this furor over Russell is exactly what he wanted, and what he went on the show to achieve...notoriety, a kind of "fame" and to become a household name. He has certainly done that. And he doesn't care if people are saying good things about him or horrible things, as long as they keep talking. His ego is boundless. He needs to be recognized, and interprets people talking about him as people respecting and admiring him which again feeds into his is huge ego.

The most we can hope for is for people to stop talking about him. Maybe in September when the new season of unknowns airs, this will happen. But I wouldn't be surprised if, like Kate Gosslin or the Octomom, Russell Hantz is here to stay.

FORT Fogey

So, Russell won the Player of the Season award again because

-- the votes were divided too thinly among the others
    -- people voted for any reason, some possibly questionable
    -- it's really just a booby prize

Shoot, I had it all wrong.

I thought they just counted up all the votes and the one with most votes won the prize -- no excuses.

Sort of like at final tribal council they just count up all the votes and the one with the most votes wins the prize -- no excuses.
    This isn’t the Sound of freaking Music we’re watching.......sdl

I miss Russell already!

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3908156;
    But then how is it bad that he wore a cross, if it's a symbol of good (as you just said). Anyone can wear a cross, it's not a "Christian-exclusive" thing.
    I didn't say it was bad, and I didn't say it was "Christian-exclusive." I said it was hypocritical that the man didn't exhibit a single decent, "Christian" trait all season long, and then wears an oversized crucifix at the reunion show. And it is.

It's a GAME of deception and lying. Now I know that you don't necessarily have to use those tactics to win, but if one does choose to imply them (as Russell has,) than it is perfectly acceptable within the contexts of the game. As far as I know, he doesn't behave this way outside of the game (and yes, interviews are part of "the game").
    Interviews post-game are still part of the game? Really? Wow, talk about cutting someone several miles of slack. As far as I know, there's no proof that he doesn't behave like a narrow-minded, self-absorbed jerk outside the game. When he stops blathering about how freakin' awesome he is and actually does something to benefit someone other than himself, I may change my mind.

Personally is not referring to your feelings about him.
    I'd say my feelings are about as personal as it gets. I'll repeat just so I'm clear: THE GUY OFFENDS ME. In my book, that's enough.

Russell doesn't pretend to be a good guy, and in fact I never said he was. He was on the Villains tribe for crying out loud. And what do you mean, "golden opportunity to reach millions of people?" He's playing Survivor for a million dollars, not hosting a charity telethon. Survivor isn't all "oh, you're so nice, I feel really bad abut voting you out tonight, bla bla bla." I can be if you choose it to be, but Russell hasn't chosen it that way...
    ...which is exactly why I don't think he should be wearing a cross around his neck at the finale. My thoughts, my feelings, not a fact. OKAY?
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxx;3908429;
    So, Russell won the Player of the Season award again because

-- the votes were divided too thinly among the others
    -- people voted for any reason, some possibly questionable
    -- it's really just a booby prize

Shoot, I had it all wrong.

I thought they just counted up all the votes and the one with most votes won the prize -- no excuses.

Sort of like at final tribal council they just count up all the votes and the one with the most votes wins the prize -- no excuses.
    *SIGH* I feel like I'm Parvati in the middle of a Russell/Sandra reunion interview. No one is listening to me.

Alexxx, I'm not saying that he didn't deserve the win. He won the most votes and that's that.

What I AM saying is that for anyone to say that he won this as being literally the BEST PLAYER OF THE GAME is mistaken.

This prize is won for many reasons - likability or entertainment are other reasons, not just gameplay, which is what you and others are implying.

And, sorry guys... It IS considered the booby prize because... drum roll please....

It was started during the very first All-Stars season, filmed after "Pearl Islands" - Rupert's first season when he was seen as the pirate of said show (big, brash, sneaky in his own right by stealing the other tribe's regular shoes during the trade, but still endearing).

And, the results of that first all star season prize... Rupert won the prize.

Now .... we can all safely say that Rupert has never been seen as a great player of this game (his best finish has been fourth), but he is likable and entertaining from most viewpoints.

James won it twice - in China and then again in "F vs. Faves" - and he was Medically Evac'd second go round. He made jury both seasons he was on, and is known for having TWO hidden immunity idols.

So, in conclusion, you can win this prize for just being an entertainer and it have NOTHING to do with gameplay.

This is my beef with it and Russell fans - even if it says "Player of the Season," it does not mean ONLY gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3908671;
    Interviews post-game are still part of the game? Really? Wow, talk about cutting someone several miles of slack. As far as I know, there's no proof that he doesn't behave like a narrow-minded, self-absorbed jerk outside the game. When he stops blathering about how freakin' awesome he is and actually does something to benefit someone other than himself, I may change my mind.
    How about donating a bunch of money to charity from that russellgotscrewed site?

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3908671;
    ...which is exactly why I don't think he should be wearing a cross around his neck at the finale. My thoughts, my feelings, not a fact. OKAY?
    A cross has several meanings. And besides, it's a shape. Maybe he was wearing it because it's a good luck charm or something, I dunno. Those are my feelings, not a fact.

+ Reply to Thread