+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 312

Thread: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

  1. #261
    FORT Fanatic CuckoosNest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    409

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3907556;
    His cross was undoubtedly a fashion statement.
    I'll start by saying that I'm not the most religious of people... but whether it's a fashion statement or not, the cross MEANS something. Repeat: It has MEANING. HUGE meaning. It's not just some stupid trinket. It's a symbol - and a big one at that - of faith and of a desire to uphold beliefs that are designed to elevate, not tear down.

    Let me put it another way: let's say he was wearing a swastika around his neck instead, and let's suppose he even said he was doing it because he thought it looked cool and no other reason. Don't you think people would still be outraged? And shouldn't they be?

    The fact that self-centered, mean-spirited, lie-telling, boastful, arrogant Russell Hantz had one draped around his neck - for whatever reason - is hypocracy. I'm of a Christian faith... but that last thing I want is for anyone to think that Russell Hantz has any values that I prescribe to.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

  2. #262
    Unhinged Paradox Magnum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    434

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3907599;
    I'll start by saying that I'm not the most religious of people... but whether it's a fashion statement or not, the cross MEANS something. Repeat: It has MEANING. HUGE meaning. It's not just some stupid trinket. It's a symbol - and a big one at that - of faith and of a desire to uphold beliefs that are designed to elevate, not tear down.

    Let me put it another way: let's say he was wearing a swastika around his neck instead, and let's suppose he even said he was doing it because he thought it looked cool and no other reason. Don't you think people would still be outraged? And shouldn't they be?

    The fact that self-centered, mean-spirited, lie-telling, boastful, arrogant Russell Hantz had one draped around his neck - for whatever reason - is hypocracy. I'm of a Christian faith... but that last thing I want is for anyone to think that Russell Hantz has any values that I prescribe to.
    You can't compare wearing a cross to wearing a swastika. A cross is a symbol of good that doesn't have an offensive meaning. A swastika is a symbol of evil, which even Russell would never wear. It's almost like comparing him wearing a pink shirt to him walking in naked.

    And if you really are Christian, than aren't you supposed to accept others of your faith? Russell hasn't done anything to you personally, though you're acting as though he has. I don't see the logic in that.

  3. #263
    FORT Fanatic CuckoosNest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    409

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3907613;
    You can't compare wearing a cross to wearing a swastika. A cross is a symbol of good that doesn't have an offensive meaning. A swastika is a symbol of evil, which even Russell would never wear. It's almost like comparing him wearing a pink shirt to him walking in naked.

    And if you really are Christian, than aren't you supposed to accept others of your faith? Russell hasn't done anything to you personally, though you're acting as though he has. I don't see the logic in that.
    I certainly CAN compare wearing a swastika to wearing a cross, and I have. One is a symbol of good, the other of evil. Yin and Yang. How much simpler can that be?

    I accept Russell as a person, but I certainly do not accept his actions. That's part of the frustration here: he's obviously an intelligent man, and yet he chooses to behave badly and treat others poorly. It's his choice to be a selfish jerk. Worse, he revels in it. He rubs it in others faces.

    Russell hasn't done anything to me personally? Yes, he has. He offends the heck out of me. In case that wasn't clear: HE. OFFENDS. ME. He's a bully. His actions are mean-spirited. He's a blamer who refuses - REFUSES - to take responsibility for any of his actions. Worst of all, he's wrecked my favorite show two seasons in a row. Now, I know a lot of people will disagree with me on that point, and that's perfectly fine... but that's what Russell has done TO ME. Get it?

    Russell is NOT a "good guy." He's not anyone to look up to. His values, his actions and everything he exhibits publicly are not the generally accepted definition of "good." There may be a million YouTube postings that show him being a different person away from the game... that just makes it worse. That only means that he's taken the golden opportunity to reach millions of people and has chosen to prop himself up, squawk about how amazing he is and generally behave like a spoiled child.

    He could be a better person. The heck with that... he could be a better player. But he refuses to even contemplate that there's done anything incorrectly or with wrong-headed motivations. If there's one thing I've learned from my cross-wearing faith is that there is always room for improvement... as a friend, as family member, as husband and as a person. Humility is a virtue... Russell acts likes it's a curse.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

  4. #264
    FORT Fan ActMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    168

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    There are a lot of people that hold themselves out as being a Christian, and may even believe they are, but don't live their lives that way. How many Catholic priests have been caught molesting children? Just saying, he may consider himself to be a Christian, and thinks it oK to seperate his game play actions from day to day life actions. Which I agree to a certain extent. It is a game, a game has different rules than in real life. Just like a Hockey player. A hockey player may be a good Christian in real life but when the game calls for it, may get into a fist fight, which is part of Hockey rules, but they still may be a good Christian in regular life. Is that Hockey player a non-Christian now if he gets into a fight in the game, which is an accepted part of the rules of Hockey?

  5. #265
    FORT Fogey KeepItReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,488

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

    -Unknown Author-

  6. #266
    FORT Fanatic CuckoosNest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    409

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by ActMax;3907867;
    There are a lot of people that hold themselves out as being a Christian, and may even believe they are, but don't live their lives that way. How many Catholic priests have been caught molesting children? Just saying, he may consider himself to be a Christian, and thinks it oK to seperate his game play actions from day to day life actions. Which I agree to a certain extent. It is a game, a game has different rules than in real life. Just like a Hockey player. A hockey player may be a good Christian in real life but when the game calls for it, may get into a fist fight, which is part of Hockey rules, but they still may be a good Christian in regular life. Is that Hockey player a non-Christian now if he gets into a fight in the game, which is an accepted part of the rules of Hockey?
    Good point. (Then again, I'd have a problem as well with a hockey player who beats someone into submission in a game and then goes and sings hymns in church the next day.)

    Yeh, not all Christian people are wonderful do-gooders (case in point: the Weavers from the family edition of "The Amazing Race." Don't even get me going about them.) My point I guess is that the cross is supposed to at least inspire you to be a better person. In Survivor, you CAN play by the rules and take a higher path. It IS possible. Russell chooses not to... then wears a big ol' cross on the reunion show? Just doesn't seem congruous to me.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

  7. #267
    FORT Fogey ironcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,454

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by ActMax;3907867;
    There are a lot of people that hold themselves out as being a Christian, and may even believe they are, but don't live their lives that way. How many Catholic priests have been caught molesting children? Just saying, he may consider himself to be a Christian, and thinks it oK to seperate his game play actions from day to day life actions. Which I agree to a certain extent. It is a game, a game has different rules than in real life. Just like a Hockey player. A hockey player may be a good Christian in real life but when the game calls for it, may get into a fist fight, which is part of Hockey rules, but they still may be a good Christian in regular life. Is that Hockey player a non-Christian now if he gets into a fight in the game, which is an accepted part of the rules of Hockey?
    I don't have a problem with him being as big a lying prick as he wants to be within the confines of the game and still considering himself a religious person. But I strongly suspect he gets a little too much enjoyment out of hurting and bullying people (probably part of why he signed up for Survivor in the first place), and have seen no indication that outside the game, he is even the slightest bit more humble, kind, compassionate or virtuous than he appeared to be on the show. Certainly his post show interviews and behavior don't reflect a person whose church would be proud of him.

  8. #268
    FORT Fan ActMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    168

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    I just kind of doubt he is religous in any event, doesn't seem like the religious type in general. And those remarks he made to Rupert were out of bounds IMO. It was OK for him to give a little back since Rupert did attack him, but to say he was the second coming yada yada, little across the line.

  9. #269
    8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,587

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by ActMax;3908046;
    I just kind of doubt he is religous in any event, doesn't seem like the religious type in general. And those remarks he made to Rupert were out of bounds IMO. It was OK for him to give a little back since Rupert did attack him, but to say he was the second coming yada yada, little across the line.
    That's an astute observation. Especially since (if my memory is correct) he taunted Rupert as being "the second coming of Jesus" or "the second coming of Jesus Christ." In most Christian circles, that would be like taking the Lord's name in vain. Regardless of denominational differences, that's still one of the "Big 10" (commandments). You just shalt not!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

  10. #270
    FORT Fanatic CuckoosNest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    409

    Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

    Quote Originally Posted by ActMax;3908046;
    I just kind of doubt he is religous in any event, doesn't seem like the religious type in general.
    Agreed... I just think that he could/should wear something other than a symbol of goodness and moral virtuosity around his neck, even if it is just for fashion's sake. Ya know? Something more Russell. To me, wearing a cross after spending two seasons on TV screwing over people left and right and then boasting about how willingly you did it just doesn't sit well.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.