+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

FORT Regular

Re: Russell Hantz: H vs V - Villain

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3874317;
    Russell may play well but he does alienate. And that forces him to lose votes like he did last season.
    I also think Russell is too into playing a "character" on Survivor. Lots of people say that Rupert and some of the heroes do. But, I think Russell is the one most playing to the camera.
    QFT. I've said this a few times but Russell is playing to win the Survivor Celebrity challenge not win the game of Survivor. He's doing very well at it so far (1 fan fave and back to back season) -- certainly sounds like he has the Franchise label on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheops;3874530;
    ...Russell is playing to win the Survivor Celebrity challenge not win the game of Survivor.
    Wow. Talk about driving in the last nail in the coffin of the entire spirit of the show. It's bad enough Survivor has moved so far away from the actual survival aspect of the game... now it seems that "favorites" are appearing simply for notariety. Pathetic.

If this is true, then Russell ranks only as high as Johnny Fairplay and Puck from "The Real World"... guys who seem to think they can make a living being a professional a-hole.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheops;3874530;
    QFT. I've said this a few times but Russell is playing to win the Survivor Celebrity challenge not win the game of Survivor. He's doing very well at it so far (1 fan fave and back to back season) -- certainly sounds like he has the Franchise label on him.
    What?? How can you possibly say that?? He has a TON of haters, I don't think he's playing for the popular vote. He's playing to win. Which in turn alienates him from people.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum;3875159;
    He's playing to win. Which in turn alienates him from people.
    So, the logic here is that you must alienate people to win?

Part of Russell's problem is that he clearly enjoys alienating people. He has no interest in making anyone feel respected, worthwhile or smart. He loves to rub dirt in people's faces. He takes pleasure in bringing people down.

But THEN he expects those same people - the jury - to suddenly respect him / feel he is worthwhile / believe he's a genius for it? And when karma rears it's ugly head and the dirt gets rubbed back in his face and HE gets brought down, he turns into the sorest, most ungraceful loser in Survivor history. How hypocritical is all that? Very.

And what does all this say? That to be a devious bastard is a-ok. But to exact revenge on such a person at FTC is "immature". C'mon.

Does Russell play the game hard? Yes. Is he a great player? No. Why? His strategy has a huge, gaping flaw, and his ego is so bloated he can't see around it to identify the problem. He's only as great as a swell-headed quarterback who can get within three yards of the end zone but can't score the touchdown.
    Last edited by CuckoosNest; 04-12-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

What?? How can you possibly say that?? He has a TON of haters, I don't think he's playing for the popular vote. He's playing to win. Which in turn alienates him from people.
    I'm not sure Cheops meant "Survivor Celebrity" to be synomous with fan favorite or whatever they are calling it this year. I think SC means someone who is famous for being on Survivor....which Russell certainly is/will be, hated or not. And therefore someone they can use again in future AS seasons. Of course in the future NO one with any sense will believe a word he says, and hopefully he'll be an early boot on any tribe with ANY other strong males.

FORT Regular

A bunch of people on internet forums doesn't constitute the entirety of the Survivor Fanbase. He was popular enough to win Fan Fave last season and he is getting a good edit this season.

Then we have Colby, who has been ridiculous (I don't eat the chocolate!) and weak, and people are backing him like crazy.
    People back Colby because he is a nice person without all the ego problems some of the players have. During Allstars Colby turned down chocolate because it makes him sick on an empty stomach. Can't remember the exact wording but he is not a chocolate lover as I remember it. He had problems with his looks (because he is so handsome) on Allstars. On Allstars Colby was targeted because of jealousy and the same thing holds true this time around, Jealous men are vicious. On the other hand, men like Russell slip through without fear of his looks being a factor with male players. Russell is an excellent player but he is being played by the women. A couple of the women are smart enough to want to go to the end with him because they know he would never win the million. Colby has always been one of my favorites mostly because he has no ego problem.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3874206;
    That's exactly what I was going to say. His eyes are really beautiful, and I don't think he's an ugly guy at all. But remembering those horrible saggy grey undies he ran around in last season, uuuugggghhhhh.

The rag tag underwear part really turns me off of Survivor every season. Give them their clothes on day one to save my eyes. Russell's were even more ghastly than others, given their gray color and saggy fit, and his big belly during the first part of last season.

Now that Russell has lost most of his stomach flab, I think he's a pretty decent looking guy. I also love watching him play the game. He is way over the top at times, but given most of the huge egos that are Survivor contestants (and most reality shows), I find him to be pretty entertaining. I'd rather see him play the game then to watch a bunch of pretty, young, model wannabes primping each other all day long.

I liked Rob and Tyson this season too. I didn't like Rob and Amber together, and I couldn't wait to see the door whack Tyson on the butt on his way out the season he was on prior. I'm usually a sucker for the nice guy, but I'm tired of the heroes/villains edit (not talking about this season but how edits are put together to make a contestant into neat little packages of likable/detestable characters). I'd rather see the good and the bad, without the clipped sound bites.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Fogey

Love him or hate him....perhaps one of the BEST moments in Survivor history was/is/will be Russell saying something like "Not only do I find the HII's, people are now giving them to me."

Seriously. This guy is amaZING. The ONLY people who can possibly compete with Russell - at least where strategy is concerned (I agree that Russell does alienate others) are Parvotti and Sandra.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Oceansands;3876828;
    People back Colby because he is a nice person without all the ego problems some of the players have. During Allstars Colby turned down chocolate because it makes him sick on an empty stomach. Can't remember the exact wording but he is not a chocolate lover as I remember it. He had problems with his looks (because he is so handsome) on Allstars. On Allstars Colby was targeted because of jealousy and the same thing holds true this time around, Jealous men are vicious. On the other hand, men like Russell slip through without fear of his looks being a factor with male players. Russell is an excellent player but he is being played by the women. A couple of the women are smart enough to want to go to the end with him because they know he would never win the million. Colby has always been one of my favorites mostly because he has no ego problem.
    Colby has been my favorite Survivor contestant ever since his season. Still is (Boston Rob is a close 2nd, I think). He is the most mannered, dignified player EVER. Great person.

+ Reply to Thread