+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Russell Hantz and Natalie White – “Let’s rename it the social game!”

Re: Interview with Russell Hantz and Natalie White – “Let’s rename it the social game

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3775866;
    I'd be interested in seeing your opinion about the first season. Clear cut Rich probably was the right one, but I'd say that the only other won deserving who didn't get it was Rudy.
    Jade: Well, since you asked...

It's my thinking that Richard Hatch most definitely deserved the win, especially over Kelly. Here's why:

In the first season, the contestants were really under the assumption that the game was about simply surviving the elements... that's where their heads were. And while that's definitely part of the game, Hatch was the first person to clue into the social portion of the game... for all intents and purposes, he invented the concept of an alliance in Survivor. And let's be honest: the alliance immediately became (and still is) the main pillar of the game. For that alone, he deserved the million bucks.

I gotta add that he's one of two Survivor players I've actually met (before the whole tax incident thing); and while he's definitely a little full of himself, he's also very charming and very congenial. He's not nearly the self-absorbed d-bag that the media (and the edit of Survivor 1) crack him up to be.

All this being said, there were two people in Season One that I felt "deserved" the prize just as much. Rudy was one; his tenacity really won me over. I still think he is one of the best "older" players the game has seen.

The other was Gretchen Cordy. I still believe that she embodied what the "pure" part of the game is all about: being physically capable, understanding group dynamics (short of recognizing the need for an alliance) and generally being an awesome camper. She was so capable that it made her an early target, which really made me sad. She deserved to go WAY farther in the game. Of course, her departure from the game was the first truly shocking moment in the history of the show, and the first true blind-side. (You could say Dirk was, but I still think he should have seen it coming.)

In light of the whole Russell debacle, I'd love to start a thread recapping all 19 previous winners and whether people feel they were "deserved" or not. Whaddya think?

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3775866;
    (Russell's) grammar is poor, and BTW, not indicative of all Texans. More people speak like Colby in the state than they do Russell...
    Glad to hear that. I wholly agree: Russell's command of English is horrible. And I hope most people from Texas are like Colby period; I've always felt he was pretty much a class act.
    Last edited by CuckoosNest; 12-23-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Re: Interview with Russell Hantz and Natalie White – “Let’s rename it the social game

What kills me is that Russel keeps going on and on about the bitter jury and hyprocritically overlooks his own bitterness. His attitude post-show is the very reason why, if he were on the jury, he would have been voting with the most bitter of intentions! He's even said that if Brett were in the final 3, he would have voted for him, but when Brett was still in the game, he minimized his gameplay like "whoa"!

I enjoyed Russell this season, but what I enjoy more is seeing him writhe in his loss knowing that it's killing him still.

FORT Fanatic

Natalie: You’re not used to getting a rise out of me; well, you got a rise.

Russell: Oh, you want me to get a rise out of you? You want me to start working on this? Because I’ll get you. I got many, many interviews to go to, all kinds of TV shows.

What a sweet little threat THAT was, huh? I suppose that means he plans to go from show to show, insulting Natalie, demeaning her, calling her names, etc. I'm sure his devoted wife and darling daughters will be SO PROUD of daddy, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCJUDE;3777412;
    What a sweet little threat THAT was, huh? I suppose that means he plans to go from show to show, insulting Natalie, demeaning her, calling her names, etc. I'm sure his devoted wife and darling daughters will be SO PROUD of daddy, don't you think?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by abbyb1;3776592;
    I enjoyed Russell this season, but what I enjoy more is seeing him writhe in his loss knowing that it's killing him still.
    Exactly.

I was a Russell fan this season--pretty much the whole time.

But I never for a minute confused that with "liking" him.

I have to admit being alternately confused and amused by the gradual evolution of reactions to Russell, where people started to convince themselves that they liked him because they found him fun to watch, and yes, even fun to root for. And now they find themselves horrified when it becomes obvious that he's despicable.

I never set myself up for that, personally. I always knew he was despicable, never allowed myself to "like" him, and yet still enjoyed, and yes, even admired watching him. I feel no sense of loss, of disappointment, or anything like that when he's been revealed as a sore loser, and I won't waste my breath trying to defend his conduct. He's a creep. He SHOULD have won, I still believe that, but he didn't. And he's upset? Doesn't mean I think less of him, because I never thought all that much of him to begin with--as anything other than the most watchable person this show has ever had on it, since maybe Hatch. And lo and behold, if he's acting like a child? That's even more entertainment.

Also, there's the reverse situation which puzzles me too. People bolstering Natalie as a "Russell is a sore loser" reaction. No. Please, no. She didn't magically play a better game simply because he's been revealed as an even bigger ass than many allowed themselves to believe. She got lucky, plain and simple, that she latched onto the right player, and that he didn't shut down Shambo (I still insist it was her championing of Russell which really turned the jury so uniformly against him). She won, and there's no disputing that, but it was sort of a shrug at the end of the whole season. She had no real gameplan anyone could ever reliably follow or duplicate, because luck is like that.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3775767;
    Riddle me this, Batman... how many times in the 20 season of this show has the clear-cut, most "deserving" player won? I can only think of two right off the top of my head (Tom-Palau & JT-Tocantins), but this, of course, is totally open to opinion and interpretation.

The point here is that there have been plenty of undeserving winners here (Vecepia, anyone?), but there's never been this backlash, outrage and out-and-out sore-losership.

Russ and his fans have a very good point. It's been made. Now get over it and accept the loss.
    Brian from Thailand is imho belongs at the top of the deserving list. The way he manipulated that game makes Russell look weak by comparison. Tom would be up there as well, and he was a "good" winner, so probably my favorite of the decent peeps.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;3775214;

Russell: Because I was trying to save your ass the entire time.

Natalie: Well then, that’s your mistake. That’s your loss, period.
    And that's why you lost big guy... the so called most evil player ever miscalculated who he could beat at the end.

Did he "deserve" to win? Sure, if he won the vote, I would have no problem with that, but UTR is a legit strategy that works, and it works because that evil player needs votes, so they have to keep people around. Thus the risk.

I actually was pleased to see Russell give the jury speech where he outlined how he outmanuevered each of the people sitting there. That's what he should have done, and combined with an ounce of humility at the time probably would have won the vote.

In the end, the vote was against Russell, and not for Natalie. Natalie was scrambling at council to give them a reason to vote for her, and it worked.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

There were a lot of mean, vindictive people on the jury. Russell's mistake was in thinking that people like that would reward his strong gameplay and not punish his own mean-spiritedness. This was really not a good season.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest;3775937;
    Jade: Well, since you asked...

It's my thinking that Richard Hatch most definitely deserved the win, especially over Kelly. Here's why:

In the first season, the contestants were really under the assumption that the game was about simply surviving the elements... that's where their heads were. And while that's definitely part of the game, Hatch was the first person to clue into the social portion of the game... for all intents and purposes, he invented the concept of an alliance in Survivor. And let's be honest: the alliance immediately became (and still is) the main pillar of the game. For that alone, he deserved the million bucks.

I gotta add that he's one of two Survivor players I've actually met (before the whole tax incident thing); and while he's definitely a little full of himself, he's also very charming and very congenial. He's not nearly the self-absorbed d-bag that the media (and the edit of Survivor 1) crack him up to be.

All this being said, there were two people in Season One that I felt "deserved" the prize just as much. Rudy was one; his tenacity really won me over. I still think he is one of the best "older" players the game has seen.

The other was Gretchen Cordy. I still believe that she embodied what the "pure" part of the game is all about: being physically capable, understanding group dynamics (short of recognizing the need for an alliance) and generally being an awesome camper. She was so capable that it made her an early target, which really made me sad. She deserved to go WAY farther in the game. Of course, her departure from the game was the first truly shocking moment in the history of the show, and the first true blind-side. (You could say Dirk was, but I still think he should have seen it coming.)

In light of the whole Russell debacle, I'd love to start a thread recapping all 19 previous winners and whether people feel they were "deserved" or not. Whaddya think?
    I forgot about Gretchen, but you're right - she was a worthy winner. Had she been on other seasons, I think she'd made it pretty far.

Glad to hear that. I wholly agree: Russell's command of English is horrible. And I hope most people from Texas are like Colby period; I've always felt he was pretty much a class act.
    There are fortunately more Colby types than Russell types. I have seen both, but the Colby types are the ones who will open the door for others (regardless of gender - door holder or person needing in) will answer questions unless they have a good reason they cannot, and will speak clearly as possible so they can be understood. The Russell types are the "me" types, the ones who make J.R. Ewing look docile...

... Personally, I think Russell's a combo of Ewing, Angela Channing in "Falcon Crest" and Alexis in "Dynasty" all into one - and all their bad traits. And this is saying something.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3780109;

... Personally, I think Russell's a combo of Ewing, Angela Channing in "Falcon Crest" and Alexis in "Dynasty" all into one - and all their bad traits.

But none of their fashion sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast