+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will There Be A Switch?

Now, now, remember! Silas said the cheque was already made out to him. :rolleyes

What a moron.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I actually don't want a switch. I think it'll be great to see these tribes play out just as they are.

So far the switches have only really adversely affected Silas, who cares, and Sarah Jones, again who cares?
    Not exactly. The switch in S4 adversely affected John and his trio of goons. Without Boston Rob stirring up the pot after the switch, I'm not convinced that Kathy would've had the seed of doubt planted in her mind about John's intentions. Furthermore, I think it would've been impossible to turn Paschal and Neleh against John's alliance had they spent the entire pre-merge time together in Rotu.

Similarly, the eternally dense Samburu tribe would have actually had a chance to rally from a 6-4 deficit against Boran if they could've just mustered a single coherent thought between the four of 'em. The Kelly ouster in S3 was, to that point, one of the most interesting developments in Survivor. The rigid alliances formed in S2 (5-5 deadlock at the merge) made for bad drama in my opinion. Switching the tribes forces people to consider former "enemies" in a new light, which in turn renders it more difficult to vote against them for strictly "tribal lines" reasons.

I hope they do another switch this time around.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I think the coconut chopping challenge affected John far more than the switch.
    The alliance still had the support of Neleh and Paschal up until that point so they didn't need Kathy on side. Kathy had approached both Neleh and Paschal about forming a counter-alliance with Sean and Vee but they had shown no interest.

The switch gave John new enemies, it was Gabe in all his tree-hugging glory that was the first to go.

Neleh and Paschal thought they were just going to fit right back into the original Rotu tribe.

Neleh and Paschal turned because of that challenge imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

That's certainly true, Fluff. But I think even that challenge would have played out differently had Rotu remained intact the entire time. I think the isolation of John's alliance drew them more closely together. As a result, when the challenge came, they were really only thinking of their group of four. It's possible they would have been more clever about it if they'd been dealing with Paschal, Neleh, and Kathy the entire time. In fact, that particular group of four may not have come together in that way at all without the sudden arrival of Rob, Sean, and Vee. We'll never know.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I think even that challenge would have played out differently had Rotu remained intact the entire time.
    I agree.

I think Tammy and John would have made an alliance regardless of the switch as they both said in post boot interviews they were very close. The General might have been part of it too, but my feeling is that Zoe wouldn't have been.
    The switch wake the Rotu's up from their love fest certainly.
    As you say Paulie, we will never know.
    It's interesting to read people's speculation though.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I just don't like the switch

Although...you know what I would like? Is for each team to have to switch ONE player! So they gather together and Jeff tells them that each team must vote one player to go to the other side!

CG would probably ditch Ghandia and SJ would probably dump Stephanie.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I don't know, BF...what if the Soup Guys sent Robb over to the Chewing Gums? Couldn't you just see him with the older tribe?

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Lobeck, that would be great! I'd love to see him over there!!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

If they are going to do it I think after bootee four would be a good point.
    The merge traditionally takes place with ten players left so switching much later wouldn't give people much of an opportunity to get to know their new tribemates.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12