+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has Survivor Jumped the Shark?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Has Survivor Jumped the Shark?

The messages on the Survivor board have taken a downward spiral. No longer are people discussing the great moments, who their favorite player is, what alliances are building, etc... It has become more about the outcry of fans bemoaning the poor decisions that the producers are making which seem to be bringing down the show.

Next season, we have a very UNanticipated all-stars again.

So, my questions are: Have they "Jumped the Shark"?
    Where did they go wrong?
    How can they get it back on track?
    Is Survivor actually going to die out?

What do you think?

FORT Fogey

Re: Has Survivor Jumped the Shark?

I personally think they could make a good start by showing us ALL the contestants of the current season instead of assuming that everyone will be fascinated by nasty little Russell.

I'd like to at least be able to identify--at this point in the season--all the contestants.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Season 1 - A bunch of diverse people, diverse personalities, diverse appearances, diverse behaviors. If not entirely consisting of people who applied to be on the show, at least less of the recruited-variety than there are currently. Pretty even camera time for most of the players.

Current season - Planted, recruited people either of the eye-candy or "character" ilk. People chosen almost as it to play roles or just look pretty. Too much attention paid to the "characters".

I'm bored with it this year. The only reason I keep watching is because I tape it so I can fast-forward through a lot of it and only half pay attention to the rest while knitting.

I watched the first season, maybe the 2nd, then didn't watch a few seasons, then came back about 10 years ago. I may quit again after this season. More than likely, I'll tune-in next season to see if they learned from the mistakes of this current season. If not, then one more RT show goes down the tubes for me.

Russell S. had been trying to get on the show for years, and I'm sure there are many others like him. Real people, not the eye candy that they keep casting.

I think this season has been the last straw. It's not just this board but every board I see that has a Survivor thread, people are sick of Russell H. for the most part and the recruiting of "purty peeps" to be on the show.

It seems that Burnett thinks we'd rather see shallow pretty people who don't have a clue about the game. I'd rather have long time fans of the show on the show, because they are there to play it for love of the game.

If this should go on past All Stars then they really need to change the make up of the contestants and go back old school with the casting of diverse ages, backgrounds and characters.

Like I said, I don't like my villains manufactured. It's much better when someone is cast and they emerge as a real hard-core player or villain.

It jumped long ago. It's been several season since I watched any more than just sporadically to see if it was getting better. Season 1 was my favorite, with the following two seasons being not bad. After that, it has become the show that rewards the worst of human behavior and revels in it. I don't even record it anymore.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I think it jumped the shark the season that they brought in the carpenters to build a shelter for the team that won the challenge. They did all kinds of things like that during that season. I don't remember the season, but it seemed that one tribe lived in paradise. For me, that kind of took away from the premise of being a sole survivor. It's been steadily going down hill for years, but this year has gotten bad. Pretty boring. The contestants may be nice to look at, for the most part, but there isn't much substance there. I guess I'll keep watching. More out of habit than anything. But, since I work Thursday nights and I'm already taping Flash Forward, which is on at the same time. If something more interesting happens to be put on at the same time, Survivor will be gone off my DVR list.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3739847;
    I think it jumped the shark the season that they brought in the carpenters to build a shelter for the team that won the challenge. They did all kinds of things like that during that season. I don't remember the season, but it seemed that one tribe lived in paradise. For me, that kind of took away from the premise of being a sole survivor. It's been steadily going down hill for years, but this year has gotten bad. Pretty boring. The contestants may be nice to look at, for the most part, but there isn't much substance there. I guess I'll keep watching. More out of habit than anything. But, since I work Thursday nights and I'm already taping Flash Forward, which is on at the same time. If something more interesting happens to be put on at the same time, Survivor will be gone off my DVR list.
    Fiji was the one where one tribe lived in paradise, and yes, I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but at least we got to see most of the people. I don't necessarily think that this season is the one that has jumped the shark; it's been gradual with the number of mactors over the seasons and just bad recruits. A season that overly focuses on one person, though, is bad. Also not knowing about at least a third of the people? Also bad. It could end up being really good after the merge, and Shambo is one of the most interesting characters in recent seasons. I have reason to stay optimistic-but then again the casting for All-Stars is absolutely ridiculous in most cases.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fogey

I am getting bored with it too. With every challenge being extremely physical and most requiring strength it automatically requires the teams vote off the women. There needs to be a better balance. Women tend to excell in challenges requiring balance, ones where there lighter weight is an advantage like staying on a perch or one that requires a smaller frame to fit. Mix these up in the begining. That one challenge where Ben was removed from the game was insane.

There is a pattern. If a woman makes it to the end she is often seen as having been carried there by a stronger male who needed numbers on his side. And that is often true because that has become the only way to stay in given the challenges.

I am all in favor of them recruiting/choosing more athletic/stronger women if the format remains the same.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3739774;
    Season 1 - A bunch of diverse people, diverse personalities, diverse appearances, diverse behaviors. If not entirely consisting of people who applied to be on the show, at least less of the recruited-variety than there are currently. Pretty even camera time for most of the players.
    I actually missed most of season 1, and later bought the DVD. Best season ever. I watched religiously for the first 10 seasons or so.

Current season - Planted, recruited people either of the eye-candy or "character" ilk. People chosen almost as it to play roles or just look pretty. Too much attention paid to the "characters".
    Yes, but that's not really new this season. I've had trouble "getting into" survivor the past few seasons. It's just not that interesting anymore. And, as you said, the people are not as diverse - some seasons it seems like they recruit all wackos - I want some "regular people" too. The strangest thing is that I find this season's cast so BORING. I don't mind Russell H. that much because at least he's playing and he's got a personality, however unsavory. Most of them, especially the girls (excepting Shambo and maybe Betsy) are just pretty props. No strategy, no fighting to stay, just high school clique-y stuff, which is NOT interesting to watch (imo). At least if they are recruiting, they could find people with some personality.

I'll be sad when Survivor is done, but I think it's been heading that way for a long time. And I HATE the intensely physical, everyone gets hurt challenges. The challenges used to be a lot more interesting, too.

FORT Regular

This season is by far the worse--and Ive watched them all. I frequently get mid-season and don't CARE who wins but this time I'm reay bored with all of the show. Soooo sick of Russell---is that he is the Only one who is interesting so the editors had nothing else to show us?? At least with
    Coach you could love/hate him, he was interesting and his tribemates interacted with him. With Russell--it's him and the cameraman---boring!!

ITA about the casting-- there are thousands of people who WANT to be on the show and would give their all for the chance to actual play the game. Enough of the eye-candy brainless twits who just want to become "stars". A season of people who really want to be 'survivors' could refresh this tired formua. An All-Stars (although it might have to be retitled "Returning non-Stars" made up of players who never won but were voted off early or medivaced and were REAL survivors could recharge this tired show.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast