+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: 10/22 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/22 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3738007;
    I agree with you Wind Dancer except one thing - it's quite possible they didn't know something was wrong until Russell passed out. Some people - and this is scary - DON'T show signs of severe problems until this happens.

Unfortunately, I've suffered something similar to him - my case altitude sickness brought about due to being in Denver and wearing a hot mascot costume. I got dizzy but didn't physically pass out, but to this day I think I partially mentally did.

No one - not my cheer coach, not the volleyball coach, no one thought I was ill. I didn't look it, nor show the normal signs of someone who was dehydrated. Yet, I was telling my coach that I LIKED the idea of me going to the movies while they go clubbing... and I was the wallflower, by the book person (meaning, they should've known I wasn't all right because I was saying to leave me alone in a large city - my mental status was impaired).

This isn't saying that they did everything they could - they could do better; however, I can't fault any of them because simply put - none of us will show the same signs of distress. Some can show it physically prior to passing out, others it's not until they actually do it.

Jadewarlock
    --hi. Wow--what a scary experience! I'm glad you survived it.

I too have had an experience with dehydration/heat fatigue--though not as severe as Russell's or yours. But I too had no idea I was having a problem until someone else told me to go indoors and lie down.

It was my first summer living in the desert and I didn't even know I was in trouble--but thank goodness the other person picked up on my lack of appropriate response to questions and on my pale face (which should have been flushed)--even while standing in the hot sun(like an idiot).

IHowever--MO the show does not monitor its contestants closely enough. If people really were getting "dehydrated" during all that rain (and not just from the challenge they w ere engaged in--then the medics should have suggested they save and drink some rainwater.

I wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did. It felt awful. I suspect you'd agree on that.

They could take the opportunity of the confessional to grab a periodic blood pressure reading from each contestant.

FORT Fogey

Brooks--what a good idea!

And that they don't do that just reinforces my idea that they don't really pay much attention to the health of their contestants.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011