+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Survivor 20: All-Stars Spoiler Thread

Re: Survivor 20: All-Stars Spoiler Thread

I wish they'd wait 5 more seasons before another AS round. Russ could go very early next time because now they know his game and he isn't as good as going with the flow as some others are. I guess if he behaves badly some could also drag him along in hopes of beating him for a 3rd time. It will be interesting to see if any plays for a 4th time. I'd like to see some others have a shot. I wouldn't mind Stephen getting a crack at it.

FORT Regular

Survivor is a maturing product so there is no real room to pull in new viewers. Everyone's heard of it and if they wanted to watch it they would be. They can try to improve the product -- which they did with Russell (ratings went up by a lot thanks to him) and/or they can start cutting costs to improve net revenues. The new format lets them do that. Now they only need to scout, cast, and design for 1 location and 1 show. They then have pre-cast players for the same location with the same design. Essentially they are getting 2 shows for the price of 1.5 or so. Regardless it is not a good sign for Survivor since this is a move taken by product lines when they are in their final stages of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheops;3885569;
    They can try to improve the product -- which they did with Russell (ratings went up by a lot thanks to him)
    Not true really, Samoa was the lowest rated season except for Tocantins which it barely beat and this year is pulling @ 2 million less a week than Samoa. Russell made be good for the message boards but he is not pulling them in on Thursday nights.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

The immunity challange looks like the stacking of Tiles that we have seen several times before.
    I Think The American Public Will See I'm Ethical And Honest

Richard Hatch Season 1

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3885231;
    I think that's where Russell went right in and ultimately wrong in costing him the game. He went in to become infamous with Survivor, and had the producers and Jeff trailing him around like a little puppy dog, acting like he was the best thing since sliced bread (same could be said about Coach; I remember Jeff getting a little irked when people were negative on him). I think there's that sense of delusion that just because you become the star of your season for being a douche you're going to win. And if not, who cares, you'll be more well known than the winner. I agree with Courtney's sentiments that if they let this game become a free for all and allow people to personally sabtoge other's belongings, the camp and provisions, or even wind up hurting someone that's a thread by going too hard in a challenge, it's going to go too far. It won't make compelling TV. I think doing an AS every season is going to get old. The more seasons that go by, the less likely we are to see people from the older seasons of Survivor, and I can't say these later editions have been must see TV. So I think we're going to get a lot of bland personalities and people playing the game 2, 3, 4, times just because they're known. I think that might be the end of Survivor
    I can't imagine some of my favorite past Survivors wanting to sign up for another Allstars season if the producers are going to allow the game to "become a free for all". It does seem that there are a lot more people getting hurt in the physical challenges due to really aggressive moves that are allowed to go on way too long. It has gotten down right dirty - like pulling Stephanie's shoulder out of socket.

I may have to pass on the Allstars 22 season if they do bring back Russell Hantz (CAN'T STAND ANOTHER SEASON WITH HIM) and if they bring back some from past seasons that I can't even remember who they are. This could be the end of Survivor for me.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by pawpaw;3885584;
    Not true really, Samoa was the lowest rated season except for Tocantins which it barely beat and this year is pulling @ 2 million less a week than Samoa. Russell made be good for the message boards but he is not pulling them in on Thursday nights.
    Ahh. Okay, I misremembered the ratings numbers. I seemed to remember the last few having an uptick. That bodes even more poorly for Survivor. Thanks for the clarification. At the very least it means that they might not see the introduction of characters like Russell and Coach as the way of the future. That's good -- I miss the old days.

Heroes vs. Villains ratings are up 4% overall over last spring's Toncantins and up 2% in the coveted 18-49 advertising demographic. Pulling in nearly 12 million viewers each week, the show is beating its head-to-head competition on Thursday night by several million viewers and "winning" the night for CBS. Considering how much less a reality show costs to produce than "scripted" TV, it's a big profit-maker for the network. Jeff Probst has signed on for Seasons 21 and 22 to be aired in fall 2010 and spring 2011.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

PWS
    FORT Fogey

If they did an AS every 4 times I could take it... but every other season? So every spring? Yikes....
    On the Danielle thread (where no one can remember who she was or what she did to be called a villian) it's been suggested that instead of All Star seasons they should have various threads of returnees against each other, one being (my paraphrasing) The Knowns vs. The Unknowns.

I think every 4 seasons is still too much.

All Stars should be a priveledge. When we have too many All Stars, the hype won't be there anymore and the players playing I doubt would feel as priveledged to play. People are still going to go into it now with the mindset of being on All Stars in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan;3885615;
    I can't imagine some of my favorite past Survivors wanting to sign up for another Allstars season if the producers are going to allow the game to "become a free for all". It does seem that there are a lot more people getting hurt in the physical challenges due to really aggressive moves that are allowed to go on way too long. It has gotten down right dirty - like pulling Stephanie's shoulder out of socket.

I may have to pass on the Allstars 22 season if they do bring back Russell Hantz (CAN'T STAND ANOTHER SEASON WITH HIM) and if they bring back some from past seasons that I can't even remember who they are. This could be the end of Survivor for me.
    I totally agree with this entirely - both the casting and Russell, who I'm going to start with.

Russell is by no means that good to continue in another season - Rich may have been ruthless, but he does have a charm about him, even with some of his ludicrous comments regarding the tax evasion charges. (Sorry, but you can't just go from saying CBS said they'd pay the taxes on the Million to adding any appearances as well - that's what caught him in his claims if nothing else).

They also really need to bring in players who didn't play long or aren't remembered in order to get people interested in the show again. Some people would want to go back and watch these contestant's original seasons and some players in turn would have to adapt to the rule changes since the last time they played, such as Rob.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In regards to the aggressive game play, I totally agree with Courtney, especially with Stephanie's dislocated shoulder. It's going too far IMHO, and I feel that they have been very lucky that no one has been knocked unconscious, had broken bones or worse. All of those would be an immediate medical evacuation, and for the contestant, it really wouldn't be fair to be eliminated because people are unevenly matched and they got hurt because of it.

With the other Russell last season nearly dying during a challenge - and that case it was dehydration and overtaxing himself trying to keep his team together, that should've been an alert that this game is already challenging without worrying if the next challenge they're going to end up evacuated because of another player.

And, in other versions of the show in other countries, there has already been a death in the game.

I don't think CBS gets that allowing contestants a free-for-all is setting themselves up for disaster and lawsuits galore.

+ Reply to Thread