+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Pastor John' Sees Himself As a Survivor on the Mount

'Pastor John' Sees Himself As a Survivor on the Mount

From Christianity Today magazine, an interview with Pastor John Raymond...A couple of quotes below:

When the producers said they'd let me bring the Christian flag, I thought to have one made with extra grommets that go all the way around it in case we needed to use it as a shelter. I then sprayed it with silicone water repellant on both sides. So really what I had was a 6 by 10 waterproof tarpaulin that happened to be the color of a Christian flag.
    Vecepia played the game well. She played according to rules. Changing her alliances and such was fair. I think where Vecepia left me with a bad impression was when she said, "I ask forgiveness for it." That cheapened the grace of the Lord.

What I would have said was, "Yeah, of course I changed my mind and broke alliances. That's the game, there is nothing to ask forgiveness for. There's no sin involved here. We were playing a game." But instead of saying it that way, she cheapened the grace of God by saying, "You just ask forgiveness for it." That's what threw everybody.
    The problem comes when people get on there and say weird stuff like Vecepia did, like, "It's okay to sin, you just ask forgiveness." I don't think she meant to say it the way it came out. I don't think the Christians are doing a bad thing or giving a bad testimony by getting involved in reality shows. I think you just have to watch how you handle yourself while you're on the show.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Actually I do think what he said about Vee, hit the nail on the head. Vee had it in her brain that God really cared about a game show. PJ's take on it was a bit more healthy.
    Last edited by eny; 10-06-2002 at 01:13 PM.

I agree Eny.
    John's view on the whole thing is more refreshing.
    Vee seems to have a very distorted view of things.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Too funny about the Christian flag. Very smart of him!

I don't even recall seeing the flag

Yes, I agreed with his views on Vee too. Nice to read his thoughts.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Well, they were in a cave, so he didn't need his flag after all, but I thought it was smart to have all of that done to the flag before he brought it.

Vee seemed like a sweet kid. I'm sure she did things that, while not against the rules, she wasn't too proud of. She asked the Lord to forgive her for that. The Lord may or may not care about our silly little game, but Vee actually did those things - game or no game. I understand why she asked for forgiveness. John came off pretty arrogant from what I saw. So he really had no business nitpicking someone who was just trying to do the right thing. If I was a Survivor, I would have voted him off too.

I don't like Vee. At all. She was waaaay too self-righteous and I'm still pissed that she won.

She lost me when she mocked Neleh as 'the little Morman girl'. Neleh's game playing had a major effect on the game and without her, Vee would have been picked off probably right after Sean. She attributed too much of her 'luck' to God. Please. Apparently she believes that her devout Christianity means God loves her more than his other children.

As far as the religious reality show contestants go, Vee is the exception to the rule. Michael Skupin, Neleh and Jason from BB3 were never as self-righteous as she was.

Sorry, I just can't hold this Vee-bashing in any longer.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Rodger was an elder in his church. He went quietly around doing ACTIONS that spoke of a higher level of spirituality.I am an athiest.If more folk were like him ,Neleh and PJ who said absolutely nothing like Vee, it would not leave such a bad impression on others what church folk are like.

I didn't dislike Vecepia, but it always sucks when a non-player coasts late into the game & wins because of somebody else's hard work. Ethan did it. So did Lisa from BB3. Tina never should have won over Colby. It seems to be a reality trend that the people who do the least usually win the game. If that holds true in Survivor Thailand, then Penny should win. I'm not sure if I've even heard her speak yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast