+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie & Marcus "Bromance ?"

Charlie & Marcus "Bromance ?"

Ben & Ronnie (AKA Bronnie of Bravo's Make me a supermodel frame) introduced bromance in reality TV & I'm Preety sure Blake Lewis & Chris Richardson of AI6 also come up with it.
    And now in Survivor's 17th season had it's first Straight guy/Gay guy relationship, Namely Charlie Hershel & Marcus Lehman. In the first episode the 29 year old quoted . "Ever since I saw him on the mat and he picked me, I just felt this connection in his deep blue beautiful eyes." Marcus agrees he has a connection with Charlie, but that it is purely on a friendship level. "I'm straight, so, we're in Eden, but there's no two Adams here."
    Hey It's Primetime TV Even reality shows had to sell for the homo's (Represent!). So is this a possibility of a bromace about to happen on "Earth's Last Eden" ? . Only time will tell.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Charlie & Marcus "Bromance ?"

What I love is that the straight guy is so secure in his sexuality that he is comfortable being friends with the gay guy. So many guys wouldn't be able to handle a gay guy having such an obvious crush on them. I got a real kick out of it when the gay guy ran up to the other guy and threw his arms around his neck....AND HELD ON....when he chose him as a teammate!! Too cute! (I'll eventually get the names straight.)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3206854;
    What I love is that the straight guy is so secure in his sexuality that he is comfortable being friends with the gay guy. So many guys wouldn't be able to handle a gay guy having such an obvious crush on them...
    amen!

And I'll add another amen to that. I was really impressed by his sangfroid over something which is such a non-issue that would freak out many a less secure man.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I don't know.. i think he just loves people loving him. He seems to enjoy the attention. I think they could have a very strong alliance as long as that blond girl doesn't get in the way. I don't know her name but she seems quite boring so far.

Now that you mentioned it this show really needs a major bromance. I look forward to it. Wonder how Jeff will react?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by chronicle;3206748;
    Ben & Ronnie (AKA Bronnie of Bravo's Make me a supermodel frame) introduced bromance in reality TV & I'm Preety sure Blake Lewis & Chris Richardson of AI6 also come up with it.
    I'm pretty sure "bromances" (and even the term on boards like this) go WAY back to the original Survivor season, or possibly Big Brother Season 2 at the latest. Or maybe even one of the many "Real World" shows, although that loses the aspect of the link introduced by competitive shows, where common greed sometimes merges with male bonding as a motive.

I'm not sure if Charlie & Marcus meet the requirements of a "bromance", because the motivations of the two parties are SO different from each other.

To me, the classic "bromance" is the buddy/buddy super-quick hetero bonding, with a sneaky aspect of unlikely (but fun to joke about) occasional "uncomfortable moments" to backstop the situation and highlight how weird instant male bonding can occasionally be. If there's any actual "mance" aspect, its subconscious at most,and frequently mutually embarrassing to them.

Compare that to what we're getting with Charlie and Marcus. Marcus does actually like Charlie in some sense, I suspect, and he's secure enough to not freak out at the occasional awkward bent of the association, but he does also seem to realize that Charlie is a tool he must use to help win this game (ick, after typing that I just realized how that sounds...). Whereas from Charlie's end, while he's not stupid enough to think he's going to "turn" Marcus, he's definitely basing a lot of his actions on hormones.

To me, it's not really a "bromance", it's a one-way romance, combined with a tolerant and understanding gameplayer who's nevertheless taking advantage of that.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I agree Krom...it's not a classically defined bromance so much as an unrequited crush. At least the object of the crush has been kind (so far) having Charlie as the inner peel to his onion. That cracks me up as I write it. An onion alliance...LMAO! Marcus means to pull others close, but not as close and then peel them away when they become dispensable. Since this alpha tribe isn't struggling for everyday survival, it will be interesting to see how the social aspects play out.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by kitkaat;3207132;
    I don't know.. i think he just loves people loving him. He seems to enjoy the attention. I think they could have a very strong alliance as long as that blond girl doesn't get in the way. I don't know her name but she seems quite boring so far.
    Word. Many a time it's actually quite flattering to a straight guy (open mindedly enough) for a gay guy to crush on him. I think Marcus is flattered and just wants to be admired. It in no way means though that he may have the same feelings in return.

And the girl is Jacque....total bore. Jefft Probst said she's a very attractive woman, but she seems a little bland to me. Now her alliance mate Corinne, is a different story

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3207126;
    And I'll add another amen to that. I was really impressed by his sangfroid over something which is such a non-issue that would freak out many a less secure man.
    I will as well. Also, it is a great strategy move on his part... after all, he could be securing a possibly very loyal ally by handling it well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast