Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Kay: Survivor Gabon

Re: Dan Kay: Survivor Gabon

Danny Kaye?

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3184777;
    But it's not like the people who actually audition are the most likable. Remember Vanuatu? I'm pretty sure Twila auditioned for the show and wasn't recruited. Not many people liked her. Just imagine if that season was filled with a bunch of Twila's.

And I don't think most recruits are found in California bars. Some people have actual sites casting directors go to, like Sylvia from Fiji. She's an accomplished architect, and I'm pretty sure that the casting directors found her through her job's site. Yau Man was also recruited. This is just a guess, but he probably wasn't found partying in a California bar.
    Somewhere in the Survivor production offices there's a roomful of audition tapes. If they can't find interesting/likable in all of those... well, they need better staff, for starters.

I've never been a fan of the whole "recruiting" thing, but over the years I've softened a little. Not much, but a little. I don't mind having recruited contestants, so long as people who actually apply and want to be on the show aren't reduced to having one or two token contestants. Also, there's this annoying tendency for recruiters to pick good looking contestant in their 20s/early 30s, who live in California, who call themselves "waiter/bartender/nanny/model/actor" who, in all likelihood, met someone in Survivor casting at some California bar. THAT'S what I (and a few other people, I'm sure) find annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;3185070;
    Somewhere in the Survivor production offices there's a roomful of audition tapes. If they can't find interesting/likable in all of those... well, they need better staff, for starters.

I've never been a fan of the whole "recruiting" thing, but over the years I've softened a little. Not much, but a little. I don't mind having recruited contestants, so long as people who actually apply and want to be on the show aren't reduced to having one or two token contestants. Also, there's this annoying tendency for recruiters to pick good looking contestant in their 20s/early 30s, who live in California, who call themselves "waiter/bartender/nanny/model/actor" who, in all likelihood, met someone in Survivor casting at some California bar. THAT'S what I (and a few other people, I'm sure) find annoying.
    I also have a problem with a season being filled with more people who didn't really want to be there in the first place rather than people who actually auditioned.

But other than that, recruiting is fine by me. The casting crew knows what they're looking for, and sometimes, the people that audition aren't that great. I've seen a couple of audition videos posted on YouTube, and there was only one person that absolutely wowed me (and that guy made it to the final list of people that Mark Burnett actually looks at, so the casting directors have some good taste ). The rest of the audition videos I saw... yeah, they sucked.

If a contestant is recruited, then so what? I'm not going to dislike them just because of that. Some of my personal favorites have been recruited.

And anyway, the only two seasons I can think of that were filled with recruits were Cook Islands and Fiji. Cook Islands was famous (or should I say infamous?) for having tribes divided by race. And for Fiji, there was a rumor that they were going to divide the tribes that way again (until Melissa McNulty dropped out). So for those two seasons, they needed an even number of white people, black people, Hispanics, and Asians. But the people who audition for the show are mostly white (Jeff Probst said that himself, I remember it clearly in one interview). So they had to go out and find an even number of people of each of the four races.

And lastly, why is there such a big problem with people being in California? I can understand having a problem with the majority of the cast being from one state (like there was in Cook Islands, I actually had a problem with that also). But just because your hometown is in California doesn't mean 1) you were recruited and/or 2) you're a mactor. I'm a native Californian, and I certainly don't want to become a model or actor. You can find all the aspiring models and actors down in SoCal, in the LA area. But California is a big state with the highest population out of all of the states. I seriously doubt every person that lives in California wants to be in showbiz, and that includes all the waiters in California. Okay, well most of the waiters in California.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 09-01-2008 at 03:55 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

This guy seems to be likable so far. He is on my 'root for' list.

Quote Originally Posted by emjoi;3184999;
    Danny Kaye?

I was thinking the same thing I totally love the Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Well, I kept thinking that this guy is totally hot and too good to be true and then I saw his birthdate He is 11 days younger than me! My birthday is June 19, 1976.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3185803;
    I was thinking the same thing I totally love the Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Well, I kept thinking that this guy is totally hot and too good to be true and then I saw his birthdate He is 11 days younger than me! My birthday is June 19, 1976.
    My fellow Gemini...mine is June 12th

Anywho...he is the pretty boy type, but his interview is pretty down to earth I guess. The cast doesn't seem too bad this time around!

FORT Fan

Hahaha oops, I thought I was posting in Matty's thread for a minute when I started this whole mactor debate. Dan is just another boring mid game boot!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wonder if he got cut from his law firm....
    So, doctor, lawyer... where's the Indian chief?
    Moot court...good talker, could be charming...
    Last edited by PWS; 09-08-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3183810;
    He's yet another "pretty boy" type, sure, but I don't smell model/actor coming off of him.
    I agree with you-- I don't get the usual "oh hell no, not again" feeling when I read Dan's bio. At least he doesn't appear to be the usual big old dumbass they have in the 'athletic guy' slot here.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Well after last nights show... for a "lawyer" he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. LOL Well, I'll give him a break... he was just WAY overthinking that first clue.

But he is nice to look at. Do any of you think he looks like Nick Lachey? That is who he reminded me of.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast