+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Teacher Defends Her Survivor Stripping

Originally posted by spegs

I have three children. I am actually in the enviable possition to choose whether or not to homeschool, and I have given it a great deal of thought. But, in the end, for me it all comes down to the homeschooled kids I knew when I was growing up. They didn't develop a lot of the social skills and independence that they needed to fit into society. So, while I do keep a very close watch on their education and am actively involved in their school and classrooms, I send my children to public school.
    I knew a bunch of kids that were home-schooled & nearly every one of them is socially stunted & very clingy to their mothers. And I'm not just talking about little kids here, I'm talking about high school age boys. Unless your schools are sub-par, or dangerous, or if your child has some special needs that the school is unable to accomodate, I am totally against home school. I only know of one parent who did home school with her kids & actually was diligent with it. The rest of them were very lax & their kids suffer for it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The winners of the last five National Spelling Bee competions were all home schooled. If done right, they get a better education than public schooling, but that part about being clingy is sad to hear. The way public schools are teaching kids now-a-days I think is sad in its own right. They aren't learning half the stuff I did in school and are turing out dumber kids now.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

The winners of the last five National Spelling Bee competions were all home schooled. If done right, they get a better education than public schooling, but that part about being clingy is sad to hear. The way public schools are teaching kids now-a-days I think is sad in its own right. They aren't learning half the stuff I did in school and are turing out dumber kids now.
    I can't say yea or nay to home schooling - I had a great public education, however my youngest brother is in alternative/home school because of social issues. It is where he needs to be right now. I can only speak for what I know about Canadian schools, though. I was in High School 12 years ago - and it's a different place now. On one hand, the curriculum is far more advanced and advances in technology are more widely used, on the other hand cutbacks to education usually mean the arts programs suffer first.

I agree that home schooling, if done right, can be more advantageous to intellectual development. I also agree that it can stunt children socially. I guess you have to decide what is best for your child. Would you rather they be stunted socially or ridiculed for the clothes they wear or how they look... It's hard to say.

And so I have come full circle - without even trying - back to the whole Heidi issue. It's hard enough when your peers are judging you by the way you look - you don't need to know that your teachers are acting the same way.

FORT Fogey
    Whether we want/like it or not teachers are an example for our children , they are with them many times more hours then parents are each day. And some may be able to home school but many can't. I do think that since in a sense we pay their salaries and they have a dirrect impact on our children we should be able to expect them to be moral examples to our children.
    And I do not think that Heide has been the best example for the kids she teaches at this point. And I have had good and bad gym teachers but mostly good and being athletic I liked most of them. Also in this age of serious body image problems for girls having a female gym teacher during the pubesent years that has the thoughts she talks about concerning body image could be very detrimental to female students who might admire her and look up to her and watch the program then take on her personal beliefs.
    JMO

FORT Fanatic
    Stripping aside, if Heidi DOES treat everyone the same in her gym class and is a good teacher, she can't be fired for her words - a history teacher who personally believes the holocaust never happened and says things to that effect OUTSIDE of the classroom, but teaches what the school wants IN the classroom can't be fired for her speech either. The same in law enforcement - if I really don't give a hoot whether people speed or wear their seat belts, but enforce those laws nonetheless, I can't be fired for my opinions.

Whether or not police personnel can be disciplined for their private conduct is a totally different issue, IMO. We sign oaths that we will conduct our personal lives under certain guidelines, including who we associate with and how we spend our time, but teachers do not.

Waaaaaay back, a few pages ago, I commented on whether teachers involved with the steamier subjects on this board should be fired. Well, obviously, no(at least I think not, but hey, there might be someone who does). That was a reference to the fact that moral judgments aren't clear-cut. There's always someone who objects to a particular thing, for the most part. Hell, some people don't think women should wear pants - want someone like that to make the decisions as to who gets to keep her job?

Re: Christy - good parallel, I think. I guess we can assume that was premarital sex she was talking about ....eek! What if the kids heard that?

Perhaps teens could also glean a positive body image message from Heidi's stripping - she didn't look great, but she wasn't ashamed, first off. There are lots of thin kids that feel bad about themselves too. Someone already mentioned that Heidi wasn't exactly stunning naked - hey, kids are smarter than they are given credit for. If they see a starved scarecrow rattling on about how she is so thin and therefore fabulous, they'll probably be able to figure out on their own that Heidi is a nutter (of course I am saying this not having heard what she said about thinness, etc.).

All that said, I can't remember a single gym teacher I ever had. I don't think they are that influential, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Can't remember who said it was sad that I had few respectable teachers - yes, you are absolutely right. I stick by my belief that most teachers completely suck anyway. I'd never put my kids through public school for that very reason. I'd rather have a decent teacher who strips naked on national TV for peanut butter than a complete ass who makes fun of his students for not understanding the material. Let me get this straight - it's easier to fire someone for nudity than being a bad teacher. Lame.

Depends on the state Jill, and the contract for employment.

Remember the constitution provides us protection from the government, not from each other. In Oregon, for example, an "at-will" state, you can be fired for no reason at all, at any time, just as you have the right to quit without notice. If you have a contract negotiated via a union, then the rules of that contract apply, and I haven't seen one yet that doesn't have some clause involved that would allow the employer to take action.

Employment is a voluntary thing. You don't have to take that job, and in turn, some jobs have morals clauses or "image" clauses that may apply or be agreed to.

As for Heidi, as I said before, she may well be a fantastic teacher. We don't know. But she sure has heck has been a horrific role model for young women so far in this show.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-29-2003 at 08:15 PM.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

As somebody here said, I doubt they'll fire her if they haven't already. They'll probably just hire a new gym teacher next year. I suspect she has other plans as well. Here's a pic of her at school from her hometown newspaper, if you haven't seen it yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by jodaar
    Just to throw a different slant on things, how about this? Would you want your children going to a camp where a counselor went on national TV & bragged about having sex in public? I know it's not exactly the same, but to a degree it covers the same issues (morals / role model). So should Christy get fired from her job too? (Not defending Heidi here. Just asking where we should draw the line.)
    Hmmm, good point Jodaar.
    Last edited by fluff; 03-29-2003 at 07:39 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I just want to know how it was possible for Christy to have sex down on the mall on the 4th of July. I've been there 4 times myself on the 4th and there are l ike 300,000 people there.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

She must have had quite the audience, Bravo.

+ Reply to Thread