Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Teacher Defends Her Survivor Stripping

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    Shayla ~ gotcha

Rox

FORT Regular
    Jill wrote:
    "Kids can easily gain access to this site, which contains at times bad language and discussion of sexual issues and innuendo. Should all who participate lose their jobs because some material here might be considered objectionable by some? Right to free speech and all that."

Jill, this is not a TEACHING website. It's an adult entertainment website. Do kids have access to it? Sure. But I can tell you that as a parent, my children do not have unlimited access to online sites. They're only allowed online if we are with them. And we help them to navigate through the bad & good stuff online. I enjoy this site personally, but would never allow my children to participate. When they're old enough to make their own decisions, that will be their choice to make.

My husband is a teacher. He used to teach elementary school, now he teaches at a high school. He absolutely feels a responsibility to display mature/appropriate behaviors to his students. Is he their babysitter? Well, you know what, he technically IS during the day, while their parents aren't around. And that's a job that he takes very seriously. It isn't his job to impart beliefs or morals onto them, but to just be a decent man (person) who is looking out for their best interest/s. And we would hope that our childrens teachers view their roles in our childrens lives the same way. It's not asking too much. And the
    choices shouldn't have to be home schooling OR a free-for-all.

Personally, I think that Heidi is a fool. She is clearly very immature, and not terribly bright. I'd be disappointed to have her as my children's gym teacher. Do I think she should be fired? Not really, not for her Survivor antics, but then...I don't think she should have been hired in the first place. And I would think that there are plenty of good reasons for replacing her even apart from the reasons being discussed here! If they (the school district) care to, that is.

Great post Carly!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Bravo, Carly!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

FORT Regular
    rdaugherty wrote:
    "The problem with Heidi saying it is that beautiful people aren't supposed to point out that they're beautiful. Only other people are allowed to call them beautiful. When a beautiful person insults non-beautiful people, then it's just appalling. Well, all Heidi did was point out a fact of life. And for this, we insult her and say how horrible she is for saying such shallow things."

Um, have to disagree with you strongly here. I think that what people are reacting to so strongly (at least from what I've been reading in various forums) is that Heidi is NOT one of the beautiful people, yet for some delusional reason she believes that she is!
    And we're all thinking/saying "huh????".

FORT Regular
    Someone (sorry, I can't recall who!) here wrote:
    "Teaching is a "higher calling" profession. It's giving up the good of the individual for the good of the group. Teachers, policemen, firemen, ministers, EMT's etc. None of them are paid well, but it's not like it's a secret or anything. In those professions, one is held to a higher moral standard, because one has given their life to the welfare of the public.
    Saying that they aren't paid well enough to have to be responsible adults and good role models for others just doesn't cut it in my book."

To throw in another $.02 worth on this topic...my husband and I chose for him to go into the profession of teaching. We realized that we would have to alter our financial expectations in life, and that I would need to continue working. But we felt that my husband would be a wonderful teacher, that he did indeed have a calling to the profession, and that it was what he wanted to do. We NEVER complain about his salary, because it was our decision. I totally agree with the post above (quoted)!

FORT Fogey
    Personally, I think that Heidi could do whatever she wants to do. This show is a show! Not gym class. Kids aren't going to go strip for peanut butter just cuz she did.

I even told my mom about this and she said that it's silly that they're talking about firing her. She did it for the fun of it. I dunno. This was also back when I liked her too, before she dissed Dave. *sigh*

Who knows, maybe the kids would like her more now cuz she has a sense of humor? I dunno. It'd be hilarious if MY gym teacher did that!

My take on the situation? Heidi was DUMB.

Reason #1 - Jeff said up front that there would be "temptations". Heidi could have waited another 2 minutes, kept her clothes on, jumped in the water and STILL split the cookies & PB with Jenna.

Reason #2 - If you're gonna get naked on national TV, make sure you look good (not emaciated with several weeks worth of grime) and get the compensatory $$$ UP FRONT. $3 worth of PB & cookies - honey, what are you "bargain basement" material?
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

+ Reply to Thread