+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Eldon Teacher Defends Her Survivor Stripping

Excellent post freisss
    "That's Numberwang!"

she's a role model. PERIOD.

Teachers are whether they want to be or not.

And I agree with most of the other posts regarding her attitude about the cute thing versus the fat thing - and all her other stupid comments - more bothersome than the stripping. By the time she stripped was anyone surprised?
    Well said Stevie.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Great post, Freisss.

Originally posted by Jill

I don't think it's a gym teacher's responsibility to be a constant example to people, especially children.
    Well, whether they like it or not, teachers do serve as examples to children. Granted, parents should be the ultimate source of values for their children, but many times children are around their teachers more each day than they are around their parents. And, what if the children has a bad homelife? Who are they possibly going to look to for guidance, support, etc.? Their teachers, perhaps?

Well sure, but she is a gym teacher, not a when-it-is-ok-to-take-your-clothes-off teacher.

I didn't see the skinny body thing, which is lame of her to say - but still, as long as she is not saying it TO THE CHILDREN at work I can't really crucify her for it. I guess it's because not everyone's morals/values correspond, so it's not fair to expect teachers and other public figures to make everyone happy with theirs.
    She might not be saying it to the children, but the children probably watch the show and hear her say it there. If many of them look up to her, they might think, "Well, if Miss Heidi thinks this way, maybe it's OK." And what kind of teacher should be concerned more about body image than a gym teacher?

Heidi can have whatever morals/values (or lack thereof) she wants, but she should at least learn to keep her mouth shut and keep her thoughts to herself.

I maintain that Heidi is not responsible for raising anyone's children.

NO ONE is responsible for raising your children, except for you. I think that we have waaaaaaaaay too much reliance on "parenting by proximity" and not enough good parenting at home. If you're concerned over your gym teacher having undue influence over your kids, teach your kids to make better decisions.
    You're right. Heidi is not responsible for raising anyone's children. But, she is responsible for leading by example, and by bragging about how cute she is, how jealous the others are of her, how the older women should do the work "because they have more fat reserves", stripping on national television for chocolate and peanut butter, etc., she is definitely not leading by example. Like it or not, Jill, teachers do send out messages to their students, and many times, the students take them to heart. What kind of message is Heidi sending out to her students based on her comments/actions?

Huh? I think a gym teacher's personal life and the actions of a mentally ill homeless woman are totally different issues.
    Oh, for the love of God, Jill...we're back on this topic again. There has been no proof that that woman was mentally ill, so please don't make such generalizations.

Perhaps we should do a Ken Starr-style inquiry into the lives of our teachers from now on?
    Um, no, Jill. That isn't necessary. But, the thing is that these things weren't "dug up" on Heidi. She did/said them all voluntarily and of her own free will. Since she did/said them willingly, she should certainly bear the brunt of whatever repercussions might come as the result of her actions.

Whether or not police personnel can be disciplined for their private conduct is a totally different issue, IMO. We sign oaths that we will conduct our personal lives under certain guidelines, including who we associate with and how we spend our time, but teachers do not.
    No, teachers don't take the same sort of oath, but they do lead by example and are held to a higher standard (IMO) because of the role they play in their students' lives. What Heidi (or any other teacher, for that matter) does in her home, behind closed doors, or whatever is her business. However, what she does/says on a television show that is seen around the world is another matter.

I definitly would not want Heidi teaching my children. And not only because of the stripping (which im pretty sure she did just for attention and to show off to the guys how 'cute' she is) Being young is hard enough growing up without having the way you look accounting into what you are as a person.

Woo-hoo Lobeck! Great post!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Lo, I love when you post my thoughts so eloquently. Thank you
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Wow. This is a tremendously long thread. My post will likely disappear into the tile grout, but my thoughts: Heidi had a lapse of judgment, and though that's no excuse for her behavior, it would be best if the school board and administrative faculty discussed this matter with her and gave her another chance. I realize I'm slightly off-topic here. You were discussing (as posted above) "Could she still be an effective teacher?" rather than "Should she be fired?"

I think, with regards to community-wide problems, it's best to not resolve the matter by weeding her out, but by engaging in open discussion. Perhaps Heidi will never be remorseful, or perhaps she said "effective programming" out of context or was on the defensive. Whichever the case, her students might still be looking to her as a role model. And, if she were fired, her students might look toward her as we looked toward Frenchie--as a fallen hero.

I don't especially like her, but problems aren't best handled by doing away with the problem-starter. I hope the Eldon school board and community will allow Heidi a redeeming moment.

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    Originally posted by Shayla
    Wow. This is a tremendously long thread. My post will likely disappear into the tile grout, but my thoughts: Heidi had a lapse of judgment
    See, thats the thing, you are missing the point. It wasn't just a 'lapse of judgement' because it isn't just the stripping incident. It is her entire attitude that is wrong.

"skinny girls Vs others" "cute girls Vs not cute girls"
    and so on.

The stripping thing was just a bonus to bring attention to the fact the girl needs to be pointed in an entirely new direction. (be that career wise or thought wise)

Woo-hoo Lobeck! Great post!
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

Rox, I see your point. I think we might just have fundamentally different views on whether or not people can change, or whether or not it's possible to make amends. What do you think? Let me know if I'm misreading you.

The rest of my sentence: "Heidi had a lapse of judgment, and though that's no excuse for her behavior, it would be best if the school board and administrative faculty discussed this matter with her and gave her another chance."

I'm with you about her attitude and am not condoning Heidi's behavior. My comment was geared toward school policy.

+ Reply to Thread