+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Leslie - China

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Leslie - China

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs B;2582645;
    I would have walked out also. That was NOT just a "welcoming ceremony" but it was a worship service to a different god. She did not make a fuss but quietly and discreetly exited the building. She handled herself well and Jeff's attempts at creating drama went nowhere. :nono
    I'm sure Jiffy probably didn't expect anyone to walk out, but even if he did I'm sure he had to try and create drama out of nothing. The ceremony they did in Vanuatu was a welcoming ceremony; this was different. I have no problem with Leslie walking out because she felt it conflicted with her beliefs, nor do I think it makes her ignorant or less tolerant of another culture or belief (Courtney was the poster child of that).

My dad used to tell me something regarding peer pressure that I think applies here. He would say that if something felt wrong, it probably meant it was wrong and I should get my butt out of there and go home. I'm not a religious person, but if I were and something didn't feel right to me, I'd behave much the way Leslie did. For her, it was risking her salvation. While I may not grasp why she holds those particular beliefs, I can understand them and respect them.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Fanatic

Bearcata- With all due respect to your opinion, I read your posts here and in the show thread, and while most of this has been said already, I just want to quote a passage for you : Exodus 20:4 ;Do not make idols of any kind. You must never worship them OR BOW DOWN TO THEM, ( boldface mine) for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other God!

IMO, whether you (or CBS or anyone else, for that matter) considered the ceremony a religious one, Leslie ( and probably any other Christian you'd ask) considered the bowing wrong and choose to leave. It's not like she stood up and shouted, "Screw this, you pagan Bastards!" She left quietly and probably would not even brought it up if Probst had not asked her about it.

I got a real eye opener this summer on Big Brother, where lots of people called Jameka a fraud in her Christianity, or insincere, or a hypocrite. It seems like it is open season on mocking and calling Christians hypocrites, just because they try to act in a manner which attempts to adhere and incorporate their religious beliefs in their actions. I think it's sad, really, that people feel this way. I think Leslie did just what she felt was right for her.

Sorry but what Leslie did and how Jameka behaved are worlds apart. Jameka was attacked because she claimed to have these strong beliefs and then behaved in a manner that was completely 180 from her stated beliefs. Leslie hasn't done anything (YET) that would indicate she is a hypocrite and I do think the majority of people think what she did was understandable. I'm not of the same faith as her but I would probably have not gone into that temple in the first place because of the language issue and truly not understanding what was going on or what was being said. I take religion too seriously and religion is too personal a thing to try and subject our ideas onto somebody else.

Who really knows what was going through her mind at the time or everything that went on in that ceremony? We don't. So we can't really condone or condemn her actions because the viewers are in the dark and are missing so many elements of what truly happened.

Anyways..... I really do think way too much is being made of this especially since she and the other survivors don't seem to be making an issue of this at all (well unless they edited that all out).

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow, jantbro, if the ceremony went on for 3 hours I am a tad more sympathetic to Courtney...only a tad...but it means she wasn't exaggerating all that much about how many times they bowed.
    And to FORT. It's by far the most rational and civil of the discussion board for reality TV in my experience. Not that people don't disagree, but it usually stays within bounds (thanks to our mods!).
    So far other than the temple incident, Leslie seems to be fitting in, and even living her credo (her niceness to the gravedigger didn't even seem forced or alliance building, just kindness to a shy guy---and she didn't get all ooo, ick on him, which I'm betting some of the younger ones might do)---not that she's likely to survive long if she doesn't learn to be a little nasty--but then as a talk show host with a rep to maintain she may never let herself do that--in addition to her belief system of course.
    Looking forward to her encounter with the gay Mormon...depending on how fundamentalist she is she could have a couple of issues with him. Then we really get to see her tolerance level.
    And I agree with everyone, that from what we saw, Courtney was way ruder than Leslie---I'm also surprised Jeff didn't call her on that.

Quote Originally Posted by jhong;2582330;
    Being born in Hong Kong and fully aware of Chinese cultures and worshipping in temples, the ceremony displayed in the episode was indeed a worship ceremony to the gods in that temple.

Despite Jeff stating that it was NOT a religious worship ceremony, it was one indeed (as for why CBS would have Jeff say otherwise, I don't know...).

I commend Leslie for her discernment in recognizing it as one and chose to remove herself from it with tact while not causing a scene.
    Thanks for the information, jhong!

What Leslie did is fine with me, especially after reading what jhong posted. If she didn't feel comfortable with what was happening, the most logical thing for her to do is walk out and not be a part of it. At least that's what I think. She did it quietly, and she didn't disgust anyone while she did it. I don't think anyone noticed she was gone other than Jeff, who just had to bring it up.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I was born in Canada and know next to nothing about Chinese cultures. But I do have a family member who does. In fact heís at a monastery right now practicing Buddhist meditation. So Iíve learned a tad from him about it. Iím not going to claim to know why they clasp their hands together or bow down 37 times. I like to think itís a form of meditation, but to me meditation does not involve moving about, so I just donít know about that. I do know, however, that the Buddha was a guy. A real guy. Not a god. His name was Siddartha Gautama. He founded the philosophy of Buddhism. Not the religion of Buddhism. He didnít invent a god for Buddhism. Buddhism has no god. He was from India. So why does the statue of Buddha have Asian features? I donít know. Perhaps in the 1,500 years since it was founded the image of the Buddha changed somewhere along the line. Perhaps in NE India, where he was from, the people are more Asian looking, rather than East Indian. After allÖit borders Nepal. I donít know. Iíve never been to NE India. Perhaps, too, 1,500 years is long enough for people to mistakenly interpret Buddhism as a religion with a god. Myself included until recently.
    So if there is no god, and itís a philosophy not a religion, whatís there to worship?
    The bottom line is that Probst ďassuredĒ them it was ďnot a worship ceremonyĒ and Leslie said it ďfelt like worshipĒ so it stands to reason that Leslie did not trust Probstís word due to lack of basic knowledge about Buddhism. Having said all thatÖit doesnít bother me that she walked out. She simply didnít know. Perhaps Probst should have it explained it more.
    Itíll be interesting to see how she fairs in the game, what with the way she gave James advice on how to interact, in an all knowing sort of way.

FORT Fogey

Where is Bill Maher when you need him to talk to Leslie about Santa, I mean Jesus.

Jeff did try to create drama on his part
    But glad that Leslie didn't fall for that
    As I think she held her own really well.
    Autumn Winds!

I can't believe she gave away the secret to the Immunity Idol. Good googly moogly, has she never watched these shows before?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast