+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survivor Fiji: Power Trip 3/1 – The Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

Survivor Fiji: Power Trip 3/1 – The Power of Stupid People in Large Groups

Welcome to another Power Trip, our weekly chance to play armchair quarterback and analyze the Survivors’ game play for this past episode. This article is designed to applaud that which they did right, mock what they did wrong and second guess the WTF moments. If you are looking for a recap of this week’s show, I encourage you to check out Waywyrd’s entertaining rundown.

Q: What happens on Survivor when you place one tribe into the lap of luxury and leave the other tribe with nothing?

A: Both tribes get progressively dumber.

Nice social experiment, Mark.

The First Rule of Survivor: Know When to Shut Your Mouth
    When Ravu gets back from camp, Earl immediately suggests they hash out what happened at tribal council. Mookie and James, cohesive as ever, start complaining about how annoying Anthony is. Anthony meekly requests examples. The best he receives is James explaining he’s whiny, which James will accept, but only from a girl. No offence, Anthony. James then goes on to explain he liked Erica and Sylvia better than Anthony and even offers they were both better players than Anthony. Um, seriously? Sylvia? Erica, I’d give him – except that he engineered her boot. James, perhaps you might want to check out your glass annoying house before you start throwing your annoying stones.

Earl gets points from me for knowing when to shut his mouth and keep his thoughts to himself. He revealed in his confessional that he thinks Anthony is a good, genuine guy, so it’s relatively safe to assume that he’d prefer to align himself with Anthony if given the chance. He’s also maintained a level of respect from Mookie and James, or at least hasn’t done anything for them to turn on him yet. That could be luck as much as anything, as it doesn’t seem to take much to provoke them. As crappy as his tribe is, Earl is in the best position right now. He works, he listens, he leads without offending, finds a way to get along with people and keeps his options open. That is the way to play Survivor, people. Of course, since we had a satisfying winner last season, Earl will likely lose somewhere along the line. He’s surrounded by morons; it’s not hard to figure out.

Working With Testosterone
    After the outburst after tribal council, Mookie and James fail to recognize that they have a part in healing this broken tribe. Surprising, no? When Anthony struggled during the reward challenge, Mookie and James both lent their support by loudly criticizing him and punctuating their frustration with rolled eyes and flailing arms. There’s that team spirit! While nothing was mentioned about it, Anthony was marginalized in the immunity challenge when he was placed in the cage, leaving weaker players like Rita and Yau-Man to struggle in the immunity challenge. Both Mookie and James managed to offer encouragement then, however.

It’s bad for Anthony, right now. Mookie and James seem to think they don’t need him and that it’s okay to treat him like crap. Anthony’s already insecure and with his confidence shaken, is going to have to dig that much deeper to perform. If it wasn’t for the sheer stupidity of Moto, Anthony could have gone home. If he wants to stick around, Anthony needs to stop focusing on the Idiot Twins and concentrate on the other people that hold the power.

The Swing Votes
    If you continue to lose challenges, the smartest thing your tribe can do is to remain strong. Not to point fingers, but Rita, Michelle and Yau-Man are not physically strong players. Common sense would dictate that they are next, but the tribe is so fractured now and the tribe needs to somehow eliminate the drama. Assuming they can count, they will recognize they are the swing votes. Their loyalties seem a little fuzzy right now, but if they are smart, they’ll attempt to stick together. After all, it keeps them around a little longer.

Dumb. Seriously Dumb.
    Moto was dealt an unlucky blow this week when Gary was evacuated. He wasn’t helping out much and if their tribe did need to go to tribal council, he would have been the obvious choice. Despite their loss, they still had a numbers advantage over Ravu, as well as their plush camp. After winning the immunity challenge, Moto was faced with deciding between their camp and tribal council. Despite the fact that tribal council would even the tribes at 7, Moto chose their camp. Their camp.

Allow me to blow a gasket for a second. One of the dumbest things you can ever do is to throw a challenge. In most cases, it’s done to get rid of a member that is perceived as hurting a tribe more than helping it. I can overlook those instances because, well, some people are really not worth keeping around. James, for example. Still, it’s very risky and very stupid.

Moto didn’t have anyone in mind when they went to the immunity challenge. When it came to the decision, hands flew up in favour of the camp. I mean, Lisi’s hand defied gravity it went up so fast. Why? Did you think you signed up for Big Brother? Did you not expect at some point to be laying in the dirt, eating unrecognizable sea creatures? There shouldn’t have been any hesitation to switch camps. None. Who the hell did these people think was going? Obviously they didn’t believe they were in any danger, which is breaking the SECOND rule of Survivor. And so, they returned to their camp. Their precious, precious camp.

So Dumb, I Can’t Wrap My Head Around It
    Each season there is a Survivor that wants to play with integrity. This year, the person with the wide eyed idealism of how the game should be played is a man nicknamed Dreamz. When they returned to their precious camp, Dreamz suggests they be upfront and decide between the two weakest tribemates; Cassandra and Lisi. Yes, it’s rude, but judging by his first night out, this is a man that needs to brush up on his social skills. Besides, he’s not wrong. They chose, as a tribe, to keep their precious camp, so as a tribe, it makes sense to decide who will be sacrified because of that stupid, stupid decision. But no, this is a group that would prefer to backstab and blindside, so no one takes Dreamz up on his offer to make the decision with integrity.

Earlier in the episode, the alliance of Lisi, Stacy, Alex, Edguardo and Boo was revealed. Why you’d want Lisi in your alliance at all is beyond me, but it exists and unfortunately I have no power to change that. After Dreamz exposes her as a weaker player, Lisi quickly went to work and suggested Lilianna should be voted out. Yes, Lilianna. You might remember her from her appearance earlier in the episode when she was flirting with the guys and offering back massages. So yeah, she’s gotta go. Forget that she’s probably the strongest of the women, we don't put up with back massages at Moto. And so, the alliance of five blindsides Lilianna. Alex is the only one, apparently, who has reservations.

What Lilianna Did Wrong
    Nothing.

Okay, that’s not completely true. She flirted a bit, but I think it was harmless rather than her strategy. She also apparently went along with the decision to keep their precious camp, which led to her inevitable boot.

The worst thing she did was piss off Lisi, who clearly holds more power in that tribe than anyone could have possibly guessed.

Player of the Week
    Who knew Lisi was such a powerful player? It seems that Lisi sits out every other challenge and when she does participate, contributes nothing. When we do see clips from camp at Moto, she seems to be laying around a lot or eating. With that said, she not only worked her way into a strong, five person alliance, she engineered the vote. The logical vote would have been to keep Lilianna and vote out Cassandra. Lisi either convinced or bullied the others into believing Lilianna couldn’t be trusted. And why? Because Lisi thinks so? Someone has a touch of the green eyed monster and sends Lilianna packing, despite her own alliance pointing out that she’s a strong player. I guess it helps if your alliance is a bunch of idiots. The genius of her move is that there are two other people to go before they are forced to eat their own, and she got rid of the person she wanted to. That’s assuming, of course, that her alliance doesn’t figure out she’s not worth keeping around.

Next week: Alex might figure out Lisi’s not worth keeping around.

This article is designed to provide an in-depth analysis of the show based solely on my own observations and opinions. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessary reflect those of Fansofrealitytv.com. I also reserve to change my opinion at will and without reason if I should see fit.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Great analysis, MissF!!! I totally agree with you about Moto choosing their camp over going to TC. Stupidity at it's most stupid.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Great post. Though i must say Dre went right along with the backstabbing and blindsiding by voting Lilliana after putting the target on Lisi and Cassandra. He was honest enough to voice the perceived weaker members but he snaked Lillaina just the same as the rest of them.

Next week: Alex might figure out Lisi’s not worth keeping around.
    I can only hope so. Lisi can't be any more useless, IMO. Spot on analysis as always, Miss F.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Terrific article, Miss F. I agree there is a bunch of dumb playing this game.
    Q: What happens on Survivor when you place one tribe into the lap of luxury and leave the other tribe with nothing?

A: Both tribes get progressively dumber.

Nice social experiment, Mark.

When Anthony struggled during the reward challenge, Mookie and James both lent their support by loudly criticizing him and punctuating their frustration with rolled eyes and flailing arms. There’s that team spirit!

Dumb. Seriously Dumb.

I mean, Lisi’s hand defied gravity it went up so fast.

So Dumb, I Can’t Wrap My Head Around It

Someone has a touch of the green eyed monster and sends Lilianna packing, despite her own alliance pointing out that she’s a strong player. I guess it helps if your alliance is a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi;2263854;
    The Power of Stupid People in Large Groups
    Power to the People!

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-06-2007, 07:50 AM
  2. 03-05-2007, 02:02 AM
  3. 03-04-2007, 10:49 PM