+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Darn Sea Snakes

FORT Newbie

Those Darn Sea Snakes

Can someone that really knows about snakes--answer this..... I thank you ahead of time.
    What was that snake doing in the last part of survivor (epi 4) when they showed his mouth open?
    Was he throwing up or was that his new body coming out of his skin?
    How poisonous are those snakes?
    Can you eat a poisonous snake?

Whatever it was, it was REALLY GROSS.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

There's so much discussion over a snake.

I thought he was shedding his skin.

I thought he was shedding his skin at first also, but what would have been the skin part was still moving afterward! I think it was throwing up another snake (either that or giving birth in a really, really strange way - without going through all that egg bother)!

And here's another question, how long do you think a cameraman had to follow a snake around until it did something completely gross like that???

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    I agree ...it was disgusting. I, too, thought it was shedding its skin but I have to admit I was peeking through my fingers so I didn't have the greatest view.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I rewound it and watched it again.

I would have to guess it was shedding its skin. I think the old part may have looked like it was still moving because it was hanging from a tree or something. It was pretty incredible. I was thinking the same about the camera-man. I guess they get bored out there somtimes. Remember the shot of the eel throwing up underwater? I think that was last season.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

It was NOT shedding its skin, that's not how skin is shed. Reptiles don't shed their INNER skin, they shed their OUTER skin. The snake was regurgitating another snake. A snake does this when the snake that it eats is *longer* than its own body. A snake can only eat other snakes that are shorter than itself. Obviously a snake does not know exactly how long other snakes are so it does so by trial and error. It eats it and if it can't fit then they regurgitate.

Definitely NOT skin shedding...that process looks pretty dry, like flaking skin...that snake was regurgitating what looked like a small eel to me.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Wow! Very enlightening. So, would the regurgitated snake/eel still be alive? Talk about having a close brush with death.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

At the point they showed the regurgitated animal it was dead. The snake also could have been scared. When they are not finished eating and something startles it or it feels threatened they will regurgitate. They do this so they can escape if they need to. More then likely, the cameraman got to close and scared the snake. :nono

Snakes generally lay eggs and there are a few select species that give "live birth." What happens though is they have eggs in their body that hatch and then the snakes are born. They do enter the world through their mouth but through their anus.

Snakes also are not poisonous, they are venomous. Poisonous usually means touching them the poison will transfer. Toads are an example of a poisonous animal. They have poison glands on their skin and when an animal puts them in their mouth they often spit them out right away. Some snakes have venom glands and when they bite down will inject venom into the body of their prey. Different snakes have different types of venom that effect the prey in different ways. I don't know much about the snakes on Survivor but they actually look like constrictors (squeeze their prey) instead of venomous snakes. So, I don't know if they are trying to scare the survivors or they are an exception to the venomous rule.

Hopefully this helped to answer some questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast