+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those Darn Sea Snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2262712;
    At the point they showed the regurgitated animal it was dead. The snake also could have been scared. When they are not finished eating and something startles it or it feels threatened they will regurgitate. They do this so they can escape if they need to. More then likely, the cameraman got to close and scared the snake. :nono

Snakes generally lay eggs and there are a few select species that give "live birth." What happens though is they have eggs in their body that hatch and then the snakes are born. They do enter the world through their mouth but through their anus.

Snakes also are not poisonous, they are venomous. Poisonous usually means touching them the poison will transfer. Toads are an example of a poisonous animal. They have poison glands on their skin and when an animal puts them in their mouth they often spit them out right away. Some snakes have venom glands and when they bite down will inject venom into the body of their prey. Different snakes have different types of venom that effect the prey in different ways. I don't know much about the snakes on Survivor but they actually look like constrictors (squeeze their prey) instead of venomous snakes. So, I don't know if they are trying to scare the survivors or they are an exception to the venomous rule.

Hopefully this helped to answer some questions.
    The snake being regurgitated sure looked alive to me.
    It looked like he couldn`t get away fast enough!!!

well the only way the snake could get it's food prey out is by muscle spasms so maybe that's why the food looked alive. I doubt it was though.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

You know Survivor has gone downhill when barfing snakes are the hot topic instead of what happened on the show.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Here's an example of a snake regurgitating a hippo. It's basically the same process that was shown in Survivor except much faster because it was a much thinner prey.

Spectacular footage of a snake regurgitating a hippo. - CollegeHumor video

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Good grief---ask a question on FORT and you certainly get an answer!

Quote Originally Posted by superfly;2262824;
    Here's an example of a snake regurgitating a hippo. It's basically the same process that was shown in Survivor except much faster because it was a much thinner prey.

Spectacular footage of a snake regurgitating a hippo. - CollegeHumor video
    OK, that was even more disgusting than watching the snake puke up a snake!

And it definitely did like the pukee was alive and slithering away to me!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    It is extremely rare for a snake to eat itís prey while the prey is still alive. Most venomous snakes will inject the prey and wait for it to die before consumption. Itís a matter of survival. A struggling prey could inflict even minor damage that could eventually prove fatal through infection or other means.

The chances are the critter being consumed was well dead before being rejected.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    I thought it was cool, but then again, I have four boys and have been warped by the experience.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

Check out my reality! AZHotFlash's Avatar
    Banded Sea Snake (Laticauda colubrina)

Everything you would ever want to know about the sea snake...

Snoozin' on the beach
    It didn't bother me at all and i'm not a snake person. What I want to know is would anyone here walk around barefoot both day and night on an island that is covered with deadly snakes the way all these people do? I think they are nuts to do that, especially at night when you can't see anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast