+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survivor Fiji: Power Trip 2/22 Ė Itís Always Darkest Before it Goes Pitch Black

Survivor Fiji: Power Trip 2/22 Ė Itís Always Darkest Before it Goes Pitch Black

Welcome to another Power Trip, our weekly chance to play armchair quarterback and analyze the Survivorsí game play for this past episode. This article is designed to applaud that which they did right, mock what they did wrong and second guess the WTF moments. If you are looking for a recap of this weekís show, I encourage you to check out Lucyís always entertaining rundown.

Not All Trainwrecks are Entertaining
    As the past two weeks of non stop Anna Nicole Smith coverage would indicate, people love a good trainwreck. The Ravu tribe is certainly in the process of self destruction, but itís not fun to watch. Unlike the Ulong tribe from Palau, a tribe so crappy that they brought back two of their most beloved members in the subsequent season, you donít even want to root for them. Aside from Yau-Man, there isnít a single endearing person on that tribe. But still, we root for them. We do so because the Moto tribe, complete with their four star accommodations are possibly the most boring tribe this side of Koror. Yes, Koror - the tribe from Survivor Palau that continued to spank Ulongís butt week after week after week. Everyone remembers Ulong, but forgets the Koror tribe Ė with the exception of Ian and Tom, of course.

Do you see what youíre doing Mark Burnett? Youíre making me pine for the days of Survivor Palau, easily the most depressing season to date! This time around, there is no Stephenie or Bobby Jon to care about. So help me God if Yau-Man edges out Michelle in a fire starting contest to be the last remaining Ravu member while Moto sits around their luxury camp playing their Survivor Home Edition board game. Nice twist, by the way. Makes me appreciate the Outcast twist that much more.

It's early in the season, so it's not quite complete write off, just yet. All we need is for some random crew member better burn down Motoís camp during the next challenge. That would rock. Really, it would. Best season ever, right there.

Another Day, Another Injury
    So far, all we really know about Moto is that Boo is accident prone and Gary is having some medical issues, brought on by a fall he took in the reward challenge. Fortunately, his ability to suck down pig snouts wasnít impaired.

At this point, Gary is the first to go should Moto ever reach a tribal council. Gary knows it, but does get credit for not sucking around the tribe embellishing his condition. Heís trying to be strong, but the guy is in bad shape. They lose, he goes. Just like in nature, itís survival of the fittest Ė complete with a kick ass shelter, of course.

If you rule out Gary, and assuming Boo manages to stay intact for another few days, the most vulnerable on the tribe has to be Lisi. Unless sheís managed to score some serious behind the scenes alliances, sheís the most useless player out there. She sat out the reward challenge, which is never a good sign, and she showed some serious disrespect towards Yau-Man by laughing when he was pitted against Dreamz. Just ask Boo, that ainít cool. When she was required to contribute in the immunity challenge, she literally choked and allowed herself to be embarrassed by Mookie. His lack of good sportsmanship aside, she didnít do herself any favours in the challenge. Lisi doesnít appear to have much to add to her tribe, aside from annoying cartoon voices. Sheís expendable, unless her vote is required.

None of Us is as Dumb as All of Us
    While not quite as much of a failure as Ulong, the Ravu tribe still sucks and has become a tribe divided Ė and they werenít that cohesive to begin with. Unless someone steps up and gives the motivational speech of a lifetime that brings them together, thatís not going to change.

The votes were split between Anthony and Sylvia, with the random Earl vote thrown in for good measure. (Thanks, Rita) What should have been an easy, unified boot for Sylvia has turned into Lord of the Flies, revisited. What the hell is the problem?

For starters, Mookie and Rocky seem to be sharing a used brain and this week, Mookie has custody. I donít think either Mookie or Rocky honestly believed Sylvia had the immunity idol, but I donít think it mattered much. The immunity idol gave them an excuse to go after Anthony, who they both feel a little threatened by. Mookie and Rocky have seemed to develop this co-dependent alpha male tandem, and there is no room for anyone else that doesn't blindly go along with their every whim. Heaven forbid Anthony not go along with their every whim or single handedly take responsibility for a team loss.

This week, Mookie showed just how arrogant he can be. While I can understand the temptation to goad Lisi during the immunity challenge, itís probably best he shut his mouth. Assuming he gets to the merge, members of Moto are going to remember what a jerk he was and arenít going to be too forgiving. I get that he felt confident and probably wanted to get back at Lisi a bit for her behaviour in the reward challenge, but they hardly had the competition in the bag, at that point.

Overconfidence also led to the split vote and the vote not going his way at tribal council. Clearly Mookie thought that Anthony was on his way out. He knew he had Rocky and Sylviaís votes, and probably assumed that Rita and Michelle would vote his way too. Wrong. Oh, so very wrong. Exposed as the outsiders, Rocky and Mookie both have some damage control work ahead of them. As much as theyíd like to, the rest of Ravu canít vote them off just yet. At this point in the game, young, strong and male have the advantage. Unless theyíve developed a thirst for failure, itís premature to vote off Dumb and Dumber.

The outsider last week, Anthony didnít score any points by failing to best Gary with the pig snouts. The guy tried, but he couldnít do it and to hear Mookie talk, was single handedly responsible for all their losses to date. Anthony gets credit for keeping as calm as possible and going ahead with the original plan to vote out Sylvia, along with Michelle, Earl and Yau-Man.

Suicide By Moxy
    In Ritaís confessionals, she promised to vote to make her tribe stronger and ended up casting a vote forÖ Earl? Earl, the calm, strong, rational guy that hasnít appeared to ruffle any feathers? That Earl? Clearly the guy doesnít belong in a tribe with a bunch of raving lunatics, but is casting a meaningless vote for a guy that doesnít deserve it really going to make your tribe stronger?

Good job, though; youíve just inherited Sylviaís target. Mookie and Rocky are going to be upset because your vote could have forced a tiebreaker. The foursome of Earl, Anthony, Michelle and Yau-Man are going to see you as a wild card. Mookie and Rocky are young, dumb and full ofÖ strength, so they need to be kept around a bit more. That leaves you, Rita, as the odd man out. I canít wait to hear the reasoning behind that vote.

Player of the Week
    While no one really deserves it, this week Iím going to give it to Michelle. She started a fire for the pathetic losers and that counts for something. In a tribe where the women are dwindling at a rapid rate, Michelle was able to do something that few people have done before. No wonder Jeff was impressed. It wasnít too long ago that he watched Sundra and Becky struggle for hours, complete with an endless supply of kindling, flint and a giant box of matches. She politely asked the sun to come out and it complied. I guess it is true about catching more flies with honey.

What Sylvia Did Wrong
    First off, she didnít find the immunity idol. Thatís not really her fault, though. I imagine digging for it would have been a little conspicuous. She did try to work the idea that she had it, but no one really seemed to buy it.

Honestly, itís a wonder she made it this far with her abrasive attitude. Itís even more amazing that it was even close. She earned no friends, contributed very little and in her misguided attempts to bond with her tribemates, took more responsibility for their losses than she probably needed to. The tribe was sick of her and her value to the tribe had long run out. It did appear she might have a purpose when Mookie and Rocky thought they could work her vote to their advantage, but the tribe majority thwarted their plans.

Bye Sylvia.

Maybe if we ask really nicely, next week will bring a tribal switch and a ceremonial burning of the luxury camp!

This article is designed to provide an in-depth analysis of the show based solely on my own observations and opinions. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessary reflect those of Fansofrealitytv.com. I also reserve to change my opinion at will and without reason if I should see fit.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

For starters, Mookie and Rocky seem to be sharing a used brain and this week, Mookie has custody.
    *snort*

I loved your take on this week's show, Miss F. I very much agree (especially with the camp burning!).
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Do you see what you’re doing Mark Burnett? You’re making me pine for the days of Survivor Palau, easily the most depressing season to date! This time around, there is no Stephenie or Bobby Jon to care about. So help me God if Yau-Man edges out Michelle in a fire starting contest to be the last remaining Ravu member while Moto sits around their luxury camp playing their Survivor Home Edition board game. Nice twist, by the way. Makes me appreciate the Outcast twist that much more.
    Great analysis, Miss F.

This season is quickly becoming one of the worst seasons. It started out with way too many people and one team living in complete luxury is ridiculous. This show is supposed to be about survival not watching people hang out in an outdoor living room.

As the past two weeks of non stop Anna Nicole Smith coverage would indicate, people love a good trainwreck.
    Ugh, I knew I recognized that feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I also have this persistent feeling of disbelief this season. I keep thinking that surely losing one challenge at the beginning of the game isn't worth week after week of having good rations, couch cushions, plenty of rest and sustenance. Surely, they will pull out something to even up the game, but no.

While I can understand the temptation to goad Lisi during the immunity challenge, it’s probably best he shut his mouth.

There seem to be quite a few players that just don't seem to get the idea that they will merge in the future.

Thanks for the analysis - I am really enjoying your take on this season.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Excellent analysis once again, Miss F. It might just be because I agree with you, but it's spot on!

Do you see what you’re doing Mark Burnett? You’re making me pine for the days of Survivor Palau, easily the most depressing season to date! This time around, there is no Stephenie or Bobby Jon to care about. So help me God if Yau-Man edges out Michelle in a fire starting contest to be the last remaining Ravu member while Moto sits around their luxury camp playing their Survivor Home Edition board game.

While no one really deserves it, this week I’m going to give it to Michelle. She started a fire for the pathetic losers and that counts for something.

Premium Member
    I love your analysis, Miss F. So far, the merge seems to be the only thing to look forward to just to see how it plays out for those idiots who seem to have forgotten that it's coming. Otherwise it's pretty boring.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-26-2007, 04:20 PM
  2. 02-25-2007, 02:43 PM