+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Guide Interview with 20th Contestant

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

TV Guide Interview with 20th Contestant

http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Interviews-Features/Article/default.aspx?posting={565F1379-DCBC-405D-BBB6-C0A384C9661D}

An interview with Melissa McNulty, the 20th contestant to be on Survivor:Fiji but who pulled out one day before filming was to begin. I certainly hope the producers don't give her another chance; she had it, she blew it, give it to someone else.

Survivor Bombshell: Fiji's "Babe" Reveals Why She Bailed!
    by Ileane Rudolph

Survivor: Fiji almost-ran Melissa McNulty
    She was going to be one of those Survivor babes. You know, the kind who uses her beauty and her cleavage to help her stick around on the island. Only 28-year-old Melissa McNulty didn't even make it to the first Tribal Council. The night before filming of the CBS series' new season (premiering Thursday at 8 pm/ET) began, the West Hollywood talent manager became the first player to quit. (At least Pearl Island's Osten and Palau's Janu survived a few challenges.) Melissa's exit left the producers with their own challenge: Since there were no alternates on hand, what to do with the odd number of players? "It played out just fine," host Jeff Probst said in a recent press conference. TV Guide spoke to Melissa on the eve of Survivor: Fiji's debut.

TV Guide: Why did you quit when you had already made it so far, out of all the thousands who applied?
    Melissa McNulty: Doing Survivor was a huge challenge for me. Everybody who goes on the show has different reasons and goals. Part of mine was that I suffered from panic attacks, and I thought, "What better way to face that challenge?" I was there in Fiji for almost two weeks before I took myself out of the game and came back to Los Angeles.

TV Guide: What triggered your panic attacks? Was it the prospect of being hungry, wet, dirty and full of bug bites?
    McNulty: No. I'm a girly-girl, but that doesn't bother me. For 40 days? C'mon. My No. 1 trigger is being in a situation where I can't get out. I get a claustrophobia kind of panic. I had multiple panic attacks in one day, which I've never experienced before. I tried to pull myself together, but....

TV Guide: When you were auditioning, did you tell the producers about your anxiety attacks?
    McNulty: Yes. They did ample research to assure that I was in a good mental state. My doctors and I thought I was ready.

TV Guide: What did you do when you knew you couldn't make it?
    McNulty: I talked to my point person and said I was getting overwhelming panic attacks. They sent me to the on-site psychologist, and the producers talked to me. They were very accommodating. They wanted me to stay, and it was my decision to decide that I was not in the mental state to participate.

TV Guide: Do you have any complaints about how you were treated? They didn't ask for any monetary reimbursement, did they?
    McNulty: No. [Laughs] I have nothing negative to say about the experience. It was wonderful. They got me home very quickly. They didn't make a big deal or make me feel bad.

TV Guide: Can you give us any tips on the players?
    McNulty: I never even heard their voices! We weren't allowed to talk to each other before the game. I wasn't there long enough to know what was going on. Not that I'd tell you, if I could. [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: Will you watch Survivor: Fiji?
    McNulty: Sure. I'm so excited, I'm TiVoing it. But I'm kicking myself in the butt. I know I should be on this! I was chosen, I was ready. I know I could have won some challenges. Outwit, outlast, outplay. I had it down, but I didn't last.

TV Guide: Do you feel like a failure?
    McNulty: In many people's eyes, they'll think I failed, but in my own eyes, I succeeded. I was really pressing my limits to even go on the show. It was really awful when I came back, but now I can fly on a plane without a panic attack, I can sit in the back seat of a car.... There's many things I can do that I couldn't before. I'm a stronger person because of this. Also, before I was embarrassed by my panic attacks, and now I've decided to be honest and not shy away. Forty million people deal with this!

TV Guide: Would you try out for another reality show any time soon?
    McNulty: I don't know if they'd even consider having me back, but I would absolutely try Survivor again next year. I'm a stronger person. There are a lot of people laughing at me right now, and I'd like to have the opportunity to tell them I'm not this "weak prissy model" that everybody is calling me on the Internet. I'm a lot stronger now.

Thanks for the link, karalott. I've always wondered what she looked like. Even though there were some info out there that said she was 28, I always pictured Melissa as a fat lady with wrinkles.

If I were her, I would be kicking myself in the butt, too. I would live that for the rest of life, and it would suck. But I bet they're gonna give her a second chance.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2233605;
    Thanks for the link, karalott. I've always wondered what she looked like. Even though there were some info out there that said she was 28, I always pictured Melissa as a fat lady with wrinkles.

If I were her, I would be kicking myself in the butt, too. I would live that for the rest of life, and it would suck. But I bet they're gonna give her a second chance.
    You're welcome. I would be kicking myself, too. I loved this little line at the top of the article:

the West Hollywood talent manager became the first player to quit. (At least Pearl Island's Osten and Palau's Janu survived a few challenges.)
    Who knew that someone would ever make Osten and Janu look tough and capable I think the producers are out of their mind to give her a second chance. But you may be right; while Probst and Burnett hate quitters, I also think this would give the 15th season some pre-show buzz. The question is, she quit once before, yet she claims she can handle it a second time, but who's to say she can? She sounded like she was doing fine up until the last minute, and that could very well happen again. So that's the only reason I can see them not giving her a second chance (and the fact that she quit). I never knew anything about this girl except her name, and probably wouldn't have even known there was going to be a 20th contestant if someone hadn't brought it up in the first place. I'm sure there are plenty of Survivor:Fiji finalists that would also love to give her a swift kick in the butt as well for taking their place.

Osten and Janu tough. Hmmm... well, Osten did hold up pretty long in that one challenge where Rupert beat him. As for Janu, she was the very first person sent to Exile. Those are probably the only two things I can find tough about them though.

I think if they do bring her back for a second chance, they would bring a back-up. They were stupid not to bring one on this season. They say that they had a good feeling about everyone, but there's no reason not to be secure.

I just wonder how she would have been portrayed. Would have she gotten the likable edit (Stephenie on Palau), the annoying edit (Eliza), the bitch edit (Jerri), etc.

And talking about Eliza, I said she got the annoying edit, but I still liked her. I wanted her to win so badly. It was weird. I'm watch Vanuatu on DVD (which I reccommend for ever Survivor fan) right now, and I think I can see why I liked her.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2233644;
    Osten and Janu tough. Hmmm... well, Osten did hold up pretty long in that one challenge where Rupert beat him. As for Janu, she was the very first person sent to Exile. Those are probably the only two things I can find tough about them though.

I think if they do bring her back for a second chance, they would bring a back-up. They were stupid not to bring one on this season. They say that they had a good feeling about everyone, but there's no reason not to be secure.

I just wonder how she would have been portrayed. Would have she gotten the likable edit (Stephenie on Palau), the annoying edit (Eliza), the bitch edit (Jerri), etc.

And talking about Eliza, I said she got the annoying edit, but I still liked her. I wanted her to win so badly. It was weird. I'm watch Vanuatu on DVD (which I reccommend for ever Survivor fan) right now, and I think I can see why I liked her.
    I always figured they had back ups lined up (considering 2 contestants that I know of were back ups-Tina from Outback; I'll always wonder how Outback would have turned out had the eventual winner not even made it on, and Amy from Guatemala) but I guess at that point they probably figure no one is going to back out unless something forces them to back out. I wonder if that'll change that now. If she were given a second shot, somehow I think she'd be portrayed as being weak and whiny, or as bossy and bitchy and trying too hard to be the alpha female.

And I loved Eliza! Only person in that final 4 I wanted to see win. I'll buy Vanuatu eventually, but I think it's one of the worse seasons. I did love how Probst kept asking the flab five what they were thinking in playing an individual game so early by voting off the younger, buffer guys. I really wish they hadn't done a tribe switch that season.

The cynic in me believes that they told her she would be OK so that they could exploit her illness for entertainment purposes. Nah they wouldn't do that, that would just be cruel.
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

She was going to be one of those Survivor babes. You know, the kind who uses her beauty and her cleavage to help her stick around on the island.
    I thoroughly support her decision to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2234042;
    I thoroughly support her decision to quit.
    I would have liked to seen what she had to show us. I mean skills wise of course
    "So, what is fame? It's lightening that strikes some people. It's lightening that some people seek." Jewel

pulled out one day before filming was to begin
    I was there in Fiji for almost two weeks
    I never even heard their voices! We weren't allowed to talk to each other before the game. I wasn't there long enough to know what was going on.
    OK, I'm having trouble understanding the timeline here. What was the two weeks about if she didn't quit until the day before filming and didn't have the opportunity to speak to any of the other contestants?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerusty;2234053;
    I would have liked to seen what she had to show us. I mean skills wise of course
    Is this what you're talking about Rusty?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast