+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Survivor's ratings over the years

How does it compare to other network reality? Like TAR? Or BB? just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2193108;
    How does it compare to other network reality? Like TAR? Or BB? just curious.
    It does better than both shows. So that's good.

FORT Fogey
    Despite the drop, it's still a top 20 show. Survivor's not in any danger until it loses its Thursday night time slot, and even then it can still hold on for a while. This is like Apprentice, though. The more they try to change it because they feel they need to keep it "fresh," the less people appreciate it. Keep it fresh through good casting. Not a twist, most of them silly, every week.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I'm actually pretty surprised Survivor has managed to continue to do so well 13 seasons later. It's ratings may have dropped, but it's still a top 10/20 show and that's nothing to get upset over (though I find it comical that many in the media who rate reality TV consider it's drop to be the start of the end of the reality TV era. I doubt reality TV, much like the talk show and game show craze, will ever be completely gone and will eventually make a big comeback one day).

Survivor (I think) has been given the go ahead through season 16, which is two more spring edtions and one more fall edition, unless CBS shakes the line up up. I don't see Survivor's ratings dropping dramtically in the next 3 seasons for it to be axed any earlier, but I'd be surprised to see it go beyond that. Probst had said way back after the first AS that it would be great to go off the air and "leave the viewers wanting more" rather than everyone happy that the show is finally gone forever. Considering some of the comments he and Burnett have been making about how hard it is to keep the show fresh and hinting around to wanting to move on, I think that's another sign that the end is near.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2193056;
    Sadly, some episodes of Cook Islands have been in the 12 million region.

At least it's not below.
    Oh really? I haven't been really keeping up to date with the ratings since season seven. That may seem low for Survivor, but in comparison to other shows it's really not that bad.

FORT Fogey
    Probst will no doubt move on soon enough, but I'm not sure Burnett really has the next big thing in mind. Apprentice is on its last legs, although Apprentice UK is doing quite well for a UK show. Rock Star barely had a pulse the first time but may still somehow be able to stick around regardless. Nothing else has managed to catch on. On The Lot could do well, though, but despite the popularity of Survivor, Endemol Burnett is not.

Quote Originally Posted by user name;2193954;
    Probst will no doubt move on soon enough, but I'm not sure Burnett really has the next big thing in mind. Apprentice is on its last legs, although Apprentice UK is doing quite well for a UK show. Rock Star barely had a pulse the first time but may still somehow be able to stick around regardless. Nothing else has managed to catch on. On The Lot could do well, though, but despite the popularity of Survivor, Endemol Burnett is not.
    Mark Burnett has that show about Pirates. I think it's simply called Pirates. Let's see how that does.

Survivor has moved past its prime as a product, but that doesn't mean its over the hill in the sense of not maintaining entertainment value, even if that sometimes means broadening the definition of irritate to include entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Probst had said way back after the first AS that it would be great to go off the air and "leave the viewers wanting more" rather than everyone happy that the show is finally gone forever. Considering some of the comments he and Burnett have been making about how hard it is to keep the show fresh and hinting around to wanting to move on, I think that's another sign that the end is near.
    It wouldn't be at all surprising for Survivor to bow out after another season or two, but if it ends that quickly I figure it'll be the choice of the production staff, not CBS. The shows numbers aren't likely to reverse and start climbing, I doubt it generates a substantial number of altogether new viewers as a percentage at this point, but it still rakes in the dough in predictable manner and it doesn't make sense for the network to jettison it until they have an up and comer poised to generate the same type of return.

Is there no more talk of a potential replacement for Probst? Does his departure, if and whenever it occurs signal the end of the show as well? I like him well enough, but no one is irreplaceable, at least not on this show. The show DOES seem like its tired, or rather that its creators are growing weary of it. They hasten its demise by endlessly trying to freshen up a concept that doesn't need continual tweaking. This just finished season's additions of a 3-way finish and a far too generous HII were negative trends rather than improvements in my view. Now next season they double up on HII? One can only hope it doesn't prove an even suckier development. If they don't rein in their perception of requiring a grander new and improved each go round, the season after next they may go into BB weird-o-rama mode and introduce the Golden Platinum Diamond HII, which, known only to its lucky holder enables its holder to, following Probst reading the deciding vote and announcing 'the winner of Survivor: Malibu is....' pipe up and say 'Stand down, slick, I'll let you know who the winner is, and that is ME, holder of the extra special HII that allows me to negate any vote and choose a replacement'.

Instead of investing their efforts in creating secondary dramatics they ought to focus primarily on the people they recruit for the show, seeing as its their interaction that provides the primary potential for entertainment. I don't know whether its a foregone conclusion that there'll be the same percentage of worthless lump on log do nothing individuals regardless of the type of individuals cast, but couldn't they at least make a minor effort to cull out obvious non-competitors? Is the potential contestant pool so shallow that no one more dynamic is available?

As much as it was derided prior to the season's start, the ethnic breakdown appeared to be one of the things that worked positively this season. Rather than going that route again too quickly, I'd prefer a season where there is no notable diversity as a focal point. Instead, recruit all ex boy and girl scouts or all CPA's or all mouthy type A personalities. Start with an otherwise even playing field and let a latent leader emerge or develop.

I'd previously been among those irritated that the show has become so generous in handing out plenty of food and creature comforts, and can't say watching fire given instead of earned was all that attractive, but I wouldn't care IF that meant that instead of viewing several episodes of cold wet miserable moaning tribes appearing to compete for a prize based on utter sad sack ineptness we got more camera time on conniving, confessionals devoted to talking trash about 'all those losers', and assorted pissing contests. But that doesn't appear to be occuring.

But at least for now there's still next season to hope it will.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by user name;2193954;
    sind note. Rockstar INXS averaged 6 million viewers- Rockstar Supernova averaged 2 mil.

FORT Fogey
    I hadn't heard of the pirate show. Survivor with boats? Could be interesting.

I don't believe Probst's departure should mean the end of the show, even if it is entirely possible. I'd hope that if Probst left they'd find another host, in which case the more likely scenario would be that enough viewers left the show with Probst to make it no longer worthwhile (I don't see that happening, but it could). I thought Dicko did a decent job of hosting, and there are no doubt many others out there who could as well.

The thing about this season's main twist, the racial one, is that it killed the casting. At least 5 of these people would not have been cast in a normal season, two of whom were dragged to the final four. They were just reaching to try to fill all the minority groups.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast