+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Yul - Cook Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Messalina;2173434;
    Wow, I knew that Yul wanted to insulate himself from Perv-ati, Adum, and Candass's jury wrath, but he still would have had Brad, Jenny, Rebecca, etc., (not to mention the other Aitus), who I don't think would have voted for Jonathan if he and Yul were the f2. If what you read is accurate, then maybe I've given Yul too much credit for intelligence
    There's more to that Survivor Insider transcript, but as Shady said ... it's not all there and thus not official yet. This boot may have gotten him 3 votes from the jury ( Jon, Adam and Parvati ).
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Leo
    Premium Member
    Boy, Yul is being awfully presumptuous. Hubris is the word that comes to mind. He's laying down the plans as if he's sure he'll make it to the final vote. If there's one thing everyone should know about Survivor, it's this: if you're absolutely, completely sure about something, there's a good chance you are wrong. First you get to the final two (or whatever it is this season), then you worry about the jury.

I used to be fairly certain that Yul would get to the end, but now I have to reconsider that. This hubris might well cost him in the end.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2173664;
    There's more to that Survivor Insider transcript, but as Shady said ... it's not all there and thus not official yet. This boot may have gotten him 3 votes from the jury ( Jon, Adam and Parvati ).
    When it is "legal" I hope someone posts it here....

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by holly71;2172984;
    Yul is OK, but I think he is really over-rated on this board. He made one good strategic move & everyone hails him as a genius, when really it could have easily backfired right in his (& Aitu's) face.

Jonathan made some really dumb moves, but he really deserves a bit more credit for jumping back to Aitu, b/c he really could have screwed them over after Yul told him about the idol, but he didn't.
    Actually he made alot of them starting with swaying Coa Boi during the Becky/CC boot. He turned Coa Boi who got Flicka to turn. He didn't give it away when Coa Boi mistakenly confided in him about his plan to "out the idol" and he quickly and quietly got rid of Coa Boi for it before CB wised. Brought Sundra in as the 5th to replace Flika while she was still in the game. Sending Candice to EI that last time, though that looked more like a mutual thing, it was Becky and Yul that made sure they got it. Why no one else, Raro or Aitu fought for it except for the half hearted effort of Candice is puzzling--any "clue that gives you an advantage in the game" is something you should fight tooth and nail to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2173684;
    Boy, Yul is being awfully presumptuous. Hubris is the word that comes to mind. He's laying down the plans as if he's sure he'll make it to the final vote. If there's one thing everyone should know about Survivor, it's this: if you're absolutely, completely sure about something, there's a good chance you are wrong. First you get to the final two (or whatever it is this season), then you worry about the jury.

I used to be fairly certain that Yul would get to the end, but now I have to reconsider that. This hubris might well cost him in the end.
    I think you have to worry about the possible jury vote the entire time. You can't cut everyone off at the knees the entire time and then try to figure out what to do about it at the end. Many players do not respect those that play the game the best. They are concerned with how they were treated and if they were backstabbed. It would be great if everyone voted on who played the game the best but that is not the case.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by my3boyz;2176532;
    I think you have to worry about the possible jury vote the entire time. You can't cut everyone off at the knees the entire time and then try to figure out what to do about it at the end. Many players do not respect those that play the game the best. They are concerned with how they were treated and if they were backstabbed. It would be great if everyone voted on who played the game the best but that is not the case.
    True, but jury shaping has to be a second priority to getting out people who can be a threat to you. There is an art to getting people out without them blaming you, and while it's not easy by any means, it can be done. (To his credit, Yul has shown this with Jonathan's boot.) Make no mistake: Adam and Parvati are not completely done. If there's any crack in Aitu, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could use that to get someone from the Aitu Four, which at this stage of the game would be bad for Yul. It's difficult, to be sure, but not impossible. Why take that chance, when the comparable risk to leaving Jonathan in was nil?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2176586;
    True, but jury shaping has to be a second priority to getting out people who can be a threat to you. There is an art to getting people out without them blaming you, and while it's not easy by any means, it can be done. (To his credit, Yul has shown this with Jonathan's boot.) Make no mistake: Adam and Parvati are not completely done. If there's any crack in Aitu, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they could use that to get someone from the Aitu Four, which at this stage of the game would be bad for Yul. It's difficult, to be sure, but not impossible. Why take that chance, when the comparable risk to leaving Jonathan in was nil?
    I think it's smart that Yul is already considering Jury votes. Is there really any doubt that he won't make it to the final 3? He has the idol and he probably believe the Aitu 4 has a strong alliance plus there would be no reason for any of them to side with the Raro at this point. He knows the Raro are putting him on this pedestal and holding him responsible for each vote off. So it's not surprising that Yul is trying to get on their good side by agreeing to vote off Jonathan to secure his vote with Adam and Parvati. I understand there is a risk that A and P could be lying but if there is even a chance that Yul could get their vote without jeopardizing his position in the final 3, I don't see why he wouldn't take it. IMO, the reward outweighs the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by kenji;2176673;
    So it's not surprising that Yul is trying to get on their good side by agreeing to vote off Jonathan to secure his vote with Adam and Parvati.
    This is the reason why I think it wasnt such a bad strategy to vote off Jonathan. The longer Jonathan stays, the greater liability he becomes to anyone come jury time. I think Adam and Parvati would even vote for Yul because at least they got to stay longer than Jonathan did. For some reasons Jonathan has this target on his back that everyone else is after him.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2176586;
    I agree. From what I gather, Yul's strategy in voting out Jonathan was to appease Adam and Parvati in order to, potentially, secure their jury votes. But, does he really think that if either one of them makes it to the finals (which is very possible, since they both have the ability to win challenges), that the other one will honor that promise? If Adam makes it to f3, I am quite sure that Parvati will forget her promise to Yul in a heartbeat. (Besides, Yul already HAS the numbers in the jury--he doesn't really need A and P's votes.) It would have been much smarter not to let any Raro members hang around, but I personally think that Yul didn't have the numbers to save Jonathan (since Becky and Sundra weren't about to let Yul and Jonathan get to f2), so he made the best of it by letting Raro think that he was doing it for them, in return for their jury votes. So, now, everything is kind of up for grabs.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Messalina;2176894;
    I agree. From what I gather, Yul's strategy in voting out Jonathan was to appease Adam and Parvati in order to, potentially, secure their jury votes. But, does he really think that if either one of them makes it to the finals (which is very possible, since they both have the ability to win challenges), that the other one will honor that promise? If Adam makes it to f3, I am quite sure that Parvati will forget her promise to Yul in a heartbeat. (Besides, Yul already HAS the numbers in the jury--he doesn't really need A and P's votes.) It would have been much smarter not to let any Raro members hang around, but I personally think that Yul didn't have the numbers to save Jonathan (since Becky and Sundra weren't about to let Yul and Jonathan get to f2), so he made the best of it by letting Raro think that he was doing it for them, in return for their jury votes. So, now, everything is kind of up for grabs.
    What I got from the insider transcripts was Yul's strategy was that he had to get rid of Jonathan at some point. he had no inetention of letting him get in the F4 at the very least. That it would appease Perverti and Adam or appear that he did it for them was just a side bonus. He killed 2 birds-when this opportunity arose he grabbed it. He was also trying to angle it that Jonathan would feel he had himself to blame from his past behaviour/actions and that the group consensus was not looking good. he managed to deflect any blame from Jonathan to a minimum. Not that jon would hold a grudge, he's too rational a player and knows this is a game no matter how he went out.

Will A and P follow through on their promise? Who knows but it can't hurt that they know think Yul changed his plans (when he didn't) and did it for them. Will they honor it? Yul was planning on getting rid of Jonathan, Perverti and Adumb anyway. Make the landing a little easier for A and P by appearing to agree to do what they asked. If he wasn't going to get their vote no matter what he did, he didn't lose a thing by trying-in reality he didn't alter his plans for them it just looks like he didin their eyes
    Last edited by Shady64; 12-14-2006 at 10:24 AM.

+ Reply to Thread