+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My analysis of the Daniel/Matthew situation

My analysis of the Daniel/Matthew situation

I came across the latest article regarding Survivor the Amazon episode 3. I have discovered new information that is relevent in the Survivor Amazon storyline and affects the current analysis.

The new information comes in via Daniel's Early Show interview as well as his CBS.com chat. The going belief is that Matthew, who was disgusted that Daniel revealed his "secret alliance" to the other men, backstabbed him at the last tribal council. This is not the case. According to Daniel, he was full aware that Matthew (and the other men) would vote against him and had even TOLD
    Matthew to vote for him in order to allow Matthew from sticking out like a sore thumb, so that he could possibly progress farther.

Second, that disgusted look on Matthew's face at TC was not a look of disgust at all. In his CBS.com chat, Daniel stated the following answer(s) to a question(s):

Q: Great job out there Daniel. I couldn't help but notice Matthew looked shocked when you told Jeff that he could speak Chinese. Was he hoping to keep that a secret?
    A: No, it was actually never a secret because we spoke Chinese in front of everybody else. We actually discussed strategy and talked about other people in front of everybody.

Q: Hey Dan, do you think you may have revealed too much information about your relationship with Matthew at TC, so to set him up as the next target?
    A: It was no secret that me and Matthew were friends and also since we did speak Chinese in front of everybody, everybody knew that Matthew and I had an alliance together. Actually, it was no secret that Ryan, Matthew, and I had an alliance to try and get Roger out.

Clearly this information is very relevant and changes all previous perspective of the game. Anyone who thought that Matthew will be the next to go simply because it was discovered that he was aligned with Daniel is now false, because everyone had already known. What could this mean for Matthew now? Daniel has played the role of the sacrifical lamb ala Rodger Bingham taking the blow for his friend Elisabeth Filarski. We simply were not able to see that in the last episode because CBS did not show any of it; we didn't even get to see Matthew speak to the camera stating his reason for voting for Daniel. Was it because it did not fit into the shows storyline, and that Matthew was intentionally made to look like he had betrayed his friend Perhaps Daniel is not so dumb afterall, but merely the victim of the shows infamous editting. I recall that Nick Brown said in past interviews that he was not as lazy as he was portrayed. It would seem that Daniel was made to look a disgruntled player who had no schemes or thoughts of his own. More evidence of this:

Q: Dan, I noticed you didn't say anything to your tribe when you left the TC. A little bitter?
    A: I actually did say something, they just didn't show it on TV. I said, "Well, Tambaqui, I hope you catch fist tomorrow! I can't wait to get together after the show is over and I guess I will talk to y'all later. Goodbye!" And I waved.

Hopefully this adds new light to Matthew and Daniel. If Matthew is now a target, it had nothing to do with what Daniel said at the last tribal council.

Daniel Lue's chat transcript courtesty of Survivornews.net,
    http://www.survivornews.net/article.php?id=164

Early Show
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in542129.shtml

Q: Great job out there Daniel. I couldn't help but notice Matthew looked shocked when you told Jeff that he could speak Chinese. Was he hoping to keep that a secret?
    I actually just made a comment under the Matthew thread, saying that I think Matthew is one smart, resourceful dude and that his expression at TC may have been calculated. (Or for reasons other than what we had been led to believe). Thanks for the info!!
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

Welcome, Duo! I'm sure it was made out to be more than it was, but I also think that Daniel's had 2 months to consider his responses to those questions, and maybe he's telling the "world" what they want to hear. I mean, if he said "oh yeah, I screwed up, Matthew's dead meat" how would that be fun?

Originally posted by John
    I mean, if he said "oh yeah, I screwed up, Matthew's dead meat" how would that be fun?

This clears up a lot!

I've made a comment on the the Daniel Lue thread. I assumed incorrectly about the whole situation!

John you do have a point. He did have time to consider what he's going to say on interviews.

I just wonder if he could do it all over again, what would he do differenly?
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

I just wonder if he could do it all over again, what would he do differenly?
    He'd probably join Roger's gang and not hang out with Ryan as much. And, he'd probably bite his tongue and do chores that Roger wanted done. (At least in the beginning).
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

I really hope Dan's comments won't have an adverse effect on Matthew.
    He seems to be playing a reasonably good game at the moment.
    "That's Numberwang!"

+ Reply to Thread