+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Withdraws CBS' 'Survivor' Sponsorship

GM Withdraws CBS' 'Survivor' Sponsorship

It is not very often I get to start a new post and this is from Detroit, too. I'm not sure what to think about the story though.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Aug30/0,4670,GMSurvivor,00.html
    Last edited by becca; 08-30-2006 at 07:27 PM.
    Autism is a neurological disorder that impairs socialization and communication.Experts estimate that three to six children out of every 1,000 will have Autism spectrum disorder. Males are four times more likely to have ASD than females.* As of 2013, 1 in every 50 children is now affected by autism

So GM claims their withdrawal had nothing to do with the controversy over the tribe splits... I don't know if I buy it. I have no reason not to, probably a coincidence... I wonder who the new sponsor is.

JR.
    I don't buy their story for a second, that is the only reason.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    On the one hand, GM could try and make themselves look good by claiming they wouldn't support the show for the race divided tribes and that's why they pulled sponsership. But on the other hand...no. I don't buy their story, either, they just don't want to have to explain.

I'm not sure I understand. Are they withdrawing for this current season? The season has already been taped and presumably has the usual pimpmobile challenge towards the end. So, GM gets product placement but isn't forking over any ad revenue?

FORT Fogey
    If GM made the decision to pull out of Survivor months ago, and the show was taped months ago, woudln't it stand to reason that the usual car giveaway, if included, won't be a GM car? That product placement would be considered part of their ad spending, so I would think it would go hand in hand. If so, it does give legitimacy to their saying they made the decision months ago. And it makes sense that since contestants now talk about NOT wanting to win the car (since the winner of the car never wins the show) that GM would not longer see it as a desirable venue.

Chalk me up as one who would not see the benefit for GM of NOT taking a stand against dividing people by races if that was the reason for pulling out.

The reason is probably simpler than that: the sponsorship didn't work.

Their marketing department more than likely did a random survey of new GM buyers within certain dates and did not see a lot of "I saw the ad on Survivor" replies. As the article states, GM wants to try other marketing ventures. I belive that.

I also kind of believe the tribal race thing. It's a sensitive subject. But If nobody oohed and ahhed over the Aztek, G6, or Corvettes they gave away, then that's wasted money as they see it and now's as good a time as any to pull out.

Oh. I should have seen it that way before. Thanks, Oasis.

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    I don't buy their story for a second, that is the only reason.
    Speaking from within the ranks... believe it. As we've looked at cutting costs, the big guys have chopped a lot of the non-value added items.

It really is as simple as that.

And, interesting thing to note that somewhat backs it up is that most of the other car manufacturers have turned it down as well. Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, and .... two others have openly stated that they were approached but turned down the sponsorship. Only Honda said they didn't publicly talk about their sponsorship activities. Whether that means they took CBS/Survivor up on their offer remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Broadway; 09-02-2006 at 02:46 PM.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Speaking from within the ranks... believe it. As we've looked at cutting costs, the big guys have chopped a lot of the non-value added items.

It really is as simple as that.

And, interesting thing to note that somewhat backs it up is that most of the other car manufacturers have turned it down as well. Toyota, Ford, Chrysler, and .... two others have openly stated that they were approached but turned down the sponsorship. Only Honda said they didn't publicly talk about their sponsorship activities. Whether that means they took CBS/Survivor up on their offer remains to be seen.
    If all the car companies mentioned above have decided not to advertise. What will they do to replace the challenge in which one of the players wins a car?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast