+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GM Withdraws CBS' 'Survivor' Sponsorship

Someone wins a bicycle?

Maybe a trip or something, though that might be too much like Amazing Race.

Maybe the Curse of the Car will finally be over.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

JR.
    I can't believe it's just a coincidence. Why did they wait until now to announce it? GM certainly could've made it public even before filming started. Something's not right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Speaking from within the ranks... believe it. As we've looked at cutting costs, the big guys have chopped a lot of the non-value added items.

It really is as simple as that.
    I believe you
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    I can't believe it's just a coincidence. Why did they wait until now to announce it? GM certainly could've made it public even before filming started. Something's not right here.
    I suspect that GM would not normally announce that they are not sponsoring an event. When the controversy (so-called, I don't see the big deal) came up, GM decided that they better announce the non-sponsorship was due to economics, and nothing more sinister. Being a nation of cynical conspiracy nuts, we immediately decide that GM is lying. As a result, by trying to prevent a controversy, they created a new one.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

But JR., coincidences happen all the time. Don't you watch LOST?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

They probably didn't want to pony up the bucks for what might be the most watched Survivor season in a long time, if only for the first few weeks.

They (GM) are money and are trying to launch a new 100k mile warranty on all or most of their vehicles. Good luck, considering they don't know how to make a reliable car anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef View Post
    If all the car companies mentioned above have decided not to advertise. What will they do to replace the challenge in which one of the players wins a car?
    They could win a boat or really good trip. But there is probably still going to be a car.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I believe you I suspect that GM would not normally announce that they are not sponsoring an event. When the controversy (so-called, I don't see the big deal) came up, GM decided that they better announce the non-sponsorship was due to economics, and nothing more sinister. Being a nation of cynical conspiracy nuts, we immediately decide that GM is lying. As a result, by trying to prevent a controversy, they created a new one.
    Why announce it at all then? Did someone directly ask them if they were sponsoring this season? I highly doubt it. Major corporations always seem to cave in to the slightest bit of controversy, here are some more:
    P&G, J&J, Coke All Flee 'Survivor'

Race Format Not to Blame, They Say

By Claire Atksinson

Published: September 04, 2006
    NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- The tribe has spoken -- to the tune of $26 million -- as Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, Coca-Cola, Home Depot, Campbell Soup and a brace of smaller spenders flee the "Survivor" island following news that the CBS program this season will pit contenders along race lines.

No marketer cited the plot line, which an executive familiar with the negotiations said came as a surprise to advertisers, as the reason for its decision to turn tail on the program. But with controversy over "Survivor: Cook Islands" at a fever pitch in the media and the premiere only 10 days away, it would take a true naf to imagine that it didn't factor into their thinking.

'It's in bad taste'
    "At first I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but the more I think about it, the more I wouldn't want to be involved in it," said one major media executive. "It's in bad taste."

The mass exodus was led by General Motors Corp., which stayed with "Survivor" for 12 seasons and was its largest sponsor last year, spending some $20 million on the program. Spokeswoman Ryndee Carney said it wasn't due to the format, but the reason she gave wasn't a ringing endorsement for a program showing signs of wear. "We're more interested in integrating our vehicles into the storylines of TV shows or film," she said. "We just ran out of ways to do that given the format of the show being set on an island." GM's pullout was first reported by TVWeek.com.

P&G, whose Febreze was the second-highest spender in "Survivor" in the first half of last season, declined to comment about its media commitment this season, although others familiar with the company's spending plans said it would not be back. J&J confirmed it would not be in the show come September, as did Home Depot and Campbell.

Producer Mr. Burnett referred calls to CBS. The Eye Network is said to have already replaced GM's ad dollars with another auto brand, but it declined to comment.

Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. both said they had no plans to advertise on the show. DaimlerChrysler spokeswoman Carrie McElwee said the sponsorship had been offered to Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep, but all three declined. A Honda Motor Co. spokesman said it does not comment on advertising decisions.

Even though the aging series has suffered declines, it's still expected to dominate its Thursday time slot. An Ad Age analysis of industry household-share estimates hands "Survivor: Cook Islands" the win in the 8 p.m. slot when it returns Sept. 14. The show is predicted to grab a 15.6 rating. However, it will do battle with the most buzzed-about new show this fall, ABC's "Ugly Betty," and could be hurt if that takes off.

As a buzz-generating tactic, however, using racially based teams is a highly inflammatory move. "It says bad things about the judgment of the network and the show," said Richard Edelman, president-CEO of independent Edelman.

Not every marketer is perturbed by the twist. Angie Reed, a spokeswoman for Sprint, said the cellphone-service provider bought three scheduled spots in "Survivor" during the upfront and they will air close to the holiday season, though she noted, "We have it in our lineup, but it's not a major consideration."
    http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=111622

I'd be happy if they would just admit it, I wouldn't agree with it though. If it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck...

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    But JR., coincidences happen all the time. Don't you watch LOST?
    Yeah, and you know how happy I was with season 2

Why announce it at all then? .....
    I was wondering this too.
    Maybe it's some kinda twisted, reverse psychology marketing ploy.

FORT Newbie
    there goin broke thats why...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast