+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How many episodes until Race Wars merge?

Quote Originally Posted by AlyCat View Post
    Tribal Speak- are you trying to say that once a race has only one member left, or mistrust develops between the reamaining members of a particular race, that they would be forced to align with people of another race, so then within a period of time, there will be alliances with people of different races, and it will be just like other seasons, with race no longer an issue? I may be totally off your point, but explaining is kinda hard- it gets confusing...
    In a nutshell...yes.
    I'm talking about how the dynamics of the gameplay could possibly play out and how those dynamics could be perceived, one way or the other, by some viewers, et al. Yes, I said in a previous post...."Anyhow, this is the way I see it"....it being the gameplay and the potential perception of some of the viewing public. Saying "...this is the way I see it" does not mean I am perceiving this as race against race. I'm talking about a bigger picture.

As an example....say Nathan, Rebecca and Sekou form an alliance.....and Becky, Brad and Cao Boi form another alliance. Fine.....for the first 7-9 days until they merge into two tribes, (which I predict will occur in episode 3, prior to the 3rd Tribal Council). So say those two tribes are merged as one and then Sekou decides "hmmmm I really like Cao Boi and Becky and could go far with them" and breaks from his original alliance to form a new one with Cao Boi and Becky. One example of people seeing others not for what they are, but who they are. This is just one example, but if there are enough breakdowns of other alliances, and consequently the mixing of races by alliances, then it becomes no question a competition of people...just like any other Survivor that we know and love. Any ammunition for those that want to try to make it otherwise is gone.

However, if initial alliances (such as the two hypothetical ones above) hold true, then a perception of race against race is possible, and continued discussions to that end is probable.

As I said in an earlier post....It'll be interesting to see how the 4 tribes are merged into 2 and whether or not alliances are forced apart by virtue of the merge itself, or if any alliances are broken by virtue of player(s) decision(s) to do so of their own volition.

(FWIW.....my understanding of the meaning of the word "perception" is ...."a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something". - New Oxford Dictionary of English, 1998. How one interprets something doesn't necessarily mean that it is factual or that they believe it, IMO.)

So, to summarize AlyCat, yes that's what I'm getting at. Just lookin' at the big picture of the gameplay and potential consequences. The first merge to two tribes will be a big key event in this season, IMO.

hmm will they show some non black tribe member using the N-word?

If not are they just gonna cut out the ugly racist comments that have to come out with this setup?
    Reporting...

Quote Originally Posted by Snitch View Post
    hmm will they show some non black tribe member using the N-word?

If not are they just gonna cut out the ugly racist comments that have to come out with this setup?
    That's assuming that a non-black tribe member uses the "N-word". I'm sure that most of any possible racial comments may be excluded, but they'll be sure to at least start up a controversy of some kind to get people talking.

am I still a FORT newbie? ophelia's Avatar
    what's the problem?
    To pretend that north american society doesn't generally embrace divisions along racist lines, is like believing in the tooth fairy. Ok. So...we're meant to be "above all that now" (well, maybe not Limbaugh and his ilk), but this is a REALITY show, and IMHO, those racist divisions are apparent in our world, even though we all like to say that we don't subscribe to those beliefs. Maybe we don't as individuals, but it's there folks, as was so evident in the news reporting of Katrina doing it's damage in New Orleans, last year.
    As I recall...Barbara Bush saying..."we don't need more poor (read 'black') people in Texas", and the comment that the stadium in which the displaced people were warehoused in was a "step up" for some of them. AND...the captions under two photos that circulated in the US press. One was of a black man, with a garbage bag of stuff hanging over his shoulder...the caption read, (and I paraphrase...so no flaming if it's not entirely accurate, please.) "Looting rampant in New Orleans"...the next day, another photo of a white guy, similar garbage bag on his shoulders, with a caption that went something like, "survivors of Katrina struggle to find supplies for their families".

The problem is racism, not Burnett's decision to see how mirroring what is already prevalent, will play out in his program.

I'm looking forward to this season, as always.
    I can't help it if I'm lucky--Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
    what's the problem?
    To pretend that north american society doesn't generally embrace divisions along racist lines, is like believing in the tooth fairy. Ok. So...we're meant to be "above all that now" (well, maybe not Limbaugh and his ilk), but this is a REALITY show, and IMHO, those racist divisions are apparent in our world, even though we all like to say that we don't subscribe to those beliefs.
    Ofcourse all of this is true. But for alot of people race is a touchy subject and it isn't something that people like to just be thrown around. Whether that's something use the "race card" or someone trying to just use race to benefit in other ways (which is the case here). It's not different from people that found that F/X show "White/Black" to be offensive. It was even if they were trying to pretend that it was to get people to understand how other races felt. You can't spent a week or so in another races shoes and somehow think you know what its like to be that race. Just like you can't pretend to be gay for a given amount of time and think you understand what its like to actually be gay.

You mentioned that the problem is racism, which is absolutely true. So what is the actual benefit of a show that basically plays off that by using division of races? It's exactly what redsox girl brought up, they want ratings and are using one of the cheapest ways of getting it. That's why people are angry about it. People don't want to see a serious subject like this used in such a cheap way.

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
    what's the problem?
    To pretend that north american society doesn't generally embrace divisions along racist lines, is like believing in the tooth fairy. Ok. So...we're meant to be "above all that now" (well, maybe not Limbaugh and his ilk), but this is a REALITY show, and IMHO, those racist divisions are apparent in our world, even though we all like to say that we don't subscribe to those beliefs. Maybe we don't as individuals, but it's there folks, as was so evident in the news reporting of Katrina doing it's damage in New Orleans, last year.
    As I recall...Barbara Bush saying..."we don't need more poor (read 'black') people in Texas", and the comment that the stadium in which the displaced people were warehoused in was a "step up" for some of them. AND...the captions under two photos that circulated in the US press. One was of a black man, with a garbage bag of stuff hanging over his shoulder...the caption read, (and I paraphrase...so no flaming if it's not entirely accurate, please.) "Looting rampant in New Orleans"...the next day, another photo of a white guy, similar garbage bag on his shoulders, with a caption that went something like, "survivors of Katrina struggle to find supplies for their families".

The problem is racism, not Burnett's decision to see how mirroring what is already prevalent, will play out in his program.

I'm looking forward to this season, as always.
    This isn't a REALITY show. How much reality is there in a bunch of people being stranded in some tropical locale with no outside contact (or hope thereof), but a host to instigate and control? Seriously, the entire set up for the show is about as unreal as it can be.

The problem is that the potential for good and constructive results from this setup is low. But, the potential for negative and destructive results is high. That is further compounded by the fact that, as I understand it, by far and away the majority of this season's contestants are in the entertainment industry, or trying to break in. Those participants may very well have in mind that creating drama will help them further their careers. All of which would be ok, but you know, sad as it is, not every audience member thinks too much about motivations - it's not the detriment within the show that's a concern, but rather the impact outside.

Enjoy your season of Survivor. As I said before, I consider this setup socially irresponsible and I now have more free time on Thursday nights.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

you know, i was kinda reluctant when it was announced that this survivor season would be about race...i think this is a sensitive issue and this could get real ugly...but whatever for ratings i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    Your still missing my point.
    It's tough to explain and I'm being misunderstood.
    But I'd like to understand you. Is this your point?: You may be worried that two members of the same race may form an alliance and that some viewers (not yourself) may view this alliance as racist even though that perception may be completely wrong?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    But I'd like to understand you. Is this your point?: You may be worried that two members of the same race may form an alliance and that some viewers (not yourself) may view this alliance as racist even though that perception may be completely wrong?
    Ya, more or less, but I'm speaking more in the sense of a general observation as to how I see things evolving one way or the other....without getting specific with my personal preference. Having said that...I'm not "worried" (at least not to the point of losing sleep over it) that this season will be racist. What will happen will happen. But I do have some concern that it will. I don't want to see racial slurs every Thursday at 8:00PM. I just want to see a good ole Survivor were people plan and scheme and conive and manipulate and are faced with tough choices on whether to lie and backstab or not and how that affects them and others. Not to mention just watching interesting people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    .....two members of the same race may form an alliance and that some viewers (not yourself) may view this alliance as racist....?
    I was thinking more along the lines of the reaction(s) to such alliance(s), not the alliance(s) itself/themselves.

To summarize my general observation.....it is my opinion that:
    - If initial alliances break....this season will probably be just like any other.
    - If initial alliances hold....it may be very different....but I hope I'm wrong.

Just in case it was lost after all of what I've said as I can be long winded sometimes.....I was initially responding with my thoughts to this....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt
    I still don't get the "racist" aspect. After all, the all-Caucasian team (just for instance) will be voting off someone Caucasian, the all-Asian team will be voting off someone Asian, etc. I'm guessing that this will be the case for at least two shows, and then some sort of merger. So how is it "racist" to vote off "one of your own"? It seems to me that it's bending over backwards to NOT be racist.

....and this....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krom
    ......... Plus, then there's that merge.

It's all about what happens after that first merge.
    Last edited by Tribal Speak; 09-06-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Again, this is all about perception.

If people are grouped by race, then by necessity they have to TALK about the other groups in some fashion. Being human beings and fallible (as well as under the merciless sensationalist eye of reality TV), even innocuous comments can take on an aspect of "us versus them". And "us versus them" comments can very easily be read, or misread, as an attack. Since these perceived "attacks" will be happening in an environment where one racial group is commenting on people in another...

Do I have to finish that thought? And this is all BEFORE the merge. Someone could say something as innocuous as "hey, those black people..." and the mere fact that a racial group is being isolated might offend someone--be it a viewer or another Survivor. They don't even have to use an offensive word, or make an aggressive or ignorant statement--all that's needed is the perception that someone is shaping something around race.

THEN the merge happens and we might get more direct confrontations.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread