+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How many episodes until Race Wars merge?

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    Where would multi-racial people (the "majority" in Hawaii) be placed in such a set up. Someone like my granddaughter who is a mix of four races (Caucasian, Polynesian, Asian, and the "ethnicity" of Hispanic) would be hard pressed to choose a group to join. So I guess multi or bi-racial people are out of this particular Survivor, or are they just randomly putting them with the group they look the most like?
    Or, she could be on the "mutt" tribe with me

I still don't get the "racist" aspect. After all, the all-Caucasian team (just for instance) will be voting off someone Caucasian, the all-Asian team will be voting off someone Asian, etc. I'm guessing that this will be the case for at least two shows, and then some sort of merger. So how is it "racist" to vote off "one of your own"? It seems to me that it's bending over backwards to NOT be racist.

As for recruiting for more minority players, haven't audiences been WANTING more minority players? Well, now ya got 'em! People are never happy unless they have something to complain about.

I, for one, would love to see an all Hawaiian Survivor, provided the criteria was either [a] you currently live in Hawaii, or [b] you lived in Hawaii more than five years and it was no more than five years ago that you left, or [c] you were born in Hawaii, even if you never lived there. Or something like that. Of course, that will never happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy van Pelt View Post
    I still don't get the "racist" aspect. After all, the all-Caucasian team (just for instance) will be voting off someone Caucasian, the all-Asian team will be voting off someone Asian, etc. I'm guessing that this will be the case for at least two shows, and then some sort of merger. So how is it "racist" to vote off "one of your own"? It seems to me that it's bending over backwards to NOT be racist.
    Hint: Even before a merger, there will be incentive to talk about the other teams because they are the competition. Like, "Hey did you see what the XXXXXXs did". Only more, and potentially worse in a pressure cooker situation.

Plus, then there's that merge.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Plus, then there's that merge.
    Exactly.
    Splitting the players up by race from the get go and not merging for, what... 9 days, will cause the players to be more prone to make bonds and alliances within their own race, simply because there isn't much other choice. It's once they merge to into two tribes where things could get nasty. Alot of what we see, post-merge, probably won't be racist at all....but it will have potential to appear that way based on alliances formed and whether or not they break. JMO.

But it's always been very common for the alliances that are formed in the initial tribe to carry on through the entire game, regardless of the tribal shuffles. I don't see why this season should be any different.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Either my point has been missed or I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    But it's always been very common for the alliances that are formed in the initial tribe to carry on through the entire game, regardless of the tribal shuffles. I don't see why this season should be any different.
    Because if the initial alliances hold, then this would pit race against race....or at least it has potential to be perceived as race against race, (as opposed to people against people).
    If the intial alliances break, then obviously different ones are formed....which obviously means that the races are mixing.....which means that any potential for racism is basically no longer an issue.....which means that, ya, a season no different than any other except for that fact that the ethnicity is more diverse.
    Anyhow, that's the way I see it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Since we "know" from the past that when they start with 4 tribes and merge to 2 the young strong guys do (as was said above) tend to dump the older, feebler and female members of their original tribes (if they weren't voted out already) it will be interesting (sociologically/psychologically) to see if that happens this time, or if people feel more loyalty to their original 4 tribes than is usual.
    I think how they manage the merge into 2 tribes will be interesting also...I imagine they have to use some form of random shuffle or schoolyard pick since they can't predict which tribe will be down to the smallest numbers...but if they'd just merged them it is interesting to figure out which pairings they would have thought would be "least controversial"---e.g., probably NOT European + Asian Americans vs. African + Hispanic Americans! I'm guessing they would have gone with Euro + Af vs. Asian +Hisp. or maybe Euro + Hisp vs Af + Asian.
    I agree, I think the editing will push the "it's a small world" vibe, whatever is really happening, but you never know. If you get a guy like Bobby from last year, who kind of calls it like he sees it.....could be hard to do.
    Are there even numbers of men and women? Among each "tribe". Guess I should go count!
    I do hope they picked people who all had the same skill level when it comes to swimming---I"ve never been comfortable when they had people who clearly couldn't swim doing this, black or white (remember the older non-swimming white guy who had to jump off a cliff into the water...what was that, Australia? I worried that he'd drown or have a heart attack). It really isn't fair to take non-swimmers for a competition that involves water.
    And oh, yes, I think they did it for the "buzz" and the ratings. Next year, 4 teams: Muslims, Jews, Christians, Hindus....

ETA... I see that there are 20 contestants...5 per tribe...if there are even number of men and women some tribes are going to have more men than others....

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak View Post
    Because if the initial alliances hold, then this would pit race against race....or at least it has potential to be perceived as race against race, (as opposed to people against people).
    So it's only our perceptions that differ, as I would still view them as people vs people, rather than race vs race.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    I do hope they picked people who all had the same skill level when it comes to swimming---I"ve never been comfortable when they had people who clearly couldn't swim doing this, black or white (remember the older non-swimming white guy who had to jump off a cliff into the water...what was that, Australia? I worried that he'd drown or have a heart attack). It really isn't fair to take non-swimmers for a competition that involves water.
    Yeah, you're talking about Rodger from season 2, and I remember being just terrified when he jumped off that cliff. But the fact remains that Survivor always involves some water challenges, but that doesn't seem to dissuade the non-swimmers from applying for the show. They're perfectly aware of what they're getting themselves into.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    So it's only our perceptions that differ, as I would still view them as people vs people, rather than race vs race.
    Your still missing my point.
    It's tough to explain and I'm being misunderstood.
    Consequently, I will not attempt to explain any further.

(FWIW....I never said that I would see them as race against race, what I meant was that there is potential for some to see it that way....depending on whether initial alliances hold or not).

Tribal Speak- are you trying to say that once a race has only one member left, or mistrust develops between the reamaining members of a particular race, that they would be forced to align with people of another race, so then within a period of time, there will be alliances with people of different races, and it will be just like other seasons, with race no longer an issue? I may be totally off your point, but explaining is kinda hard- it gets confusing...

+ Reply to Thread