+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor 13' Contestants Announced!

FORT Regular
    This is awesome, they better let these groups battle it out for a good long time to see how things shake out. This is ultraliberal CBS/Viacom though so expect this to be super PC and rigged to ensure certain things don't happen. Will they have more or fewer swimming or intellectual challenges? The hispanic and asian tribes look pretty good because they each have 3 guys. One hispanic guy is a tall musclebound pro volleyball player, rest of the team seems decent but not great. All 5 asians have college educations and athletic backgrounds, they should do well.
    Last edited by unreal; 08-24-2006 at 07:12 PM.

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyrock11 View Post
    This divide really doesn't bother me. It is a big deal because people are making a big deal instead of just looking at the teams and saying there are 20 people on this show trying to win the money.

The only way this would bother me would be if CBS edits the show to promote the stereotypes people have of each of these ethnicities. Then, I would consider it being racist.

Everyone on this show are there to win the money and have to do it the same way--get along with everyone or either have a real good strategy and persuade the people on the jury to vote for them. If anything, this show may bring different races together and show how everything doesn't always have to be about race.
    My thoughts exactly. What I find funny is that people (media) are already assuming there will be racial issues/problems and nobody has seen a minute of the show yet. I just don't think that everything that concerns race needs to be viewed as a negative.

Sure, this is a ratings ploy, but they've done it before with age & gender. I'd be willing to bet that the majority of the contestans won't have a problem with it (although some of the recruited ones might)

I don't think TPTB decided to do this to start a race war, they did it to get attention. And, it seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by unreal View Post
    Will they have more or fewer swimming or intellectual challenges? All 5 asians have college educations and athletic backgrounds, they should do well.

Stereotypical thinking and comments like this is what the uproar is all about. Sounds exactly like something Rush Limbaugh would say. Wait...he said it already.
    Rah rah ree. Kickem' in the knee.
    Rah rah rass. Kickem' in the other knee!

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    History shows us that when groups of people are seperated along differing lines the differences come into play. In this case, skin color. Human beings are tribal in nature. Hsitorically it's been a saftey issue. People of other tribes carried diseases or had cultural differences that could be detrimental to the survival of the tribe and therefore led to tribalism then racisim.

In modern day society we have learned to outgrow some of these kneejerk reactions (good for us. Still have a long way to go), but when humans are seperated along these lines those fears return. Exactly what CBS is counting on. Same thing that happens with mob mentality, only on a differing scale.

Is this show poised to bring out the worst in people? Yes. Will it? Probably. Why? Because when you are fighting to find enough to eat everyday your defenses are down and humans tend to revert back to a survival mode. It will be interesting to watch, but I suspect I will not be proud of my fellow humans.

You Dare Question Me? OrangeDingo's Avatar
    Okay so...there is a lot of babble going on that this set up is racist. Well let me tell you, it's not. What would be racist is when they arrive on the island and the whities go to an island where they stay and the finest hotel and eat the finest food and don't even have to participate in challenges and win, while the asians live on an island with a built in zen garden and koi pond, the blacks live on an island with a built in ghetto and the hispanics are on an island that is divided by a border which they must cross illegally to play the game. Yeah, then THAT would be racist. But that isn't what they are doing.

Dividing by race is not necessarily indicative of racism, it is what they do to the tribes which could be seen as racist (although TPTB aren't stupid enough to actually be racist. Think of the uproar! The anger! The drop in ratings!).

I rather like this new twist in the game. It's a social experiment, which is incredibly interesting. More than that, it is a taboo subject that TPTB shove into our faces - and I enjoy it when a person or production has the guts to tackle something like that.

Kudos to TPTB!!

Well, perhaps this will all be a huge hit. Then next year we can have four diverse groups again - gays, straights, muslims and jews. Sounds like a fun, and incredibly interesting thing to watch, yes?
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    Well, perhaps this will all be a huge hit. Then next year we can have four diverse groups again - gays, straights, muslims and jews. Sounds like a fun, and incredibly interesting thing to watch, yes?
    I think dividing between religion is the next logical step for Survivor, and I think it would be incredibly interesting to watch.

I would only hope they'd really study hate crime statistics, and cast along lines where there are the largest conflicts and acts of aggression. Those four groups were the first that popped into my mind, but I haven't done the homework necessary to know if they are really the top four.

One can tell a lot about a society by how they entertain themselves - I've forgotten who said it, but it really is true. There is such a thing as crossing the line of not only taste, but total lack of wisdom.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing View Post
    There is such a thing as crossing the line of not only taste, but total lack of wisdom.
    Right, but this isn't one of those things.

Dividing the tribes by race is not "racist". Believing that it gives one tribe an advantage over another is, however.

Certainly by dividing them this way, they intend for that to happen among viewers. While I have no objection to their separating them this way, I also don't agree that it was a good thing. Their motives for doing so appear to be solely to stir up controversy for a show that's in declining ratings and running out of ideas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast