+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 'Survivor 13' Contestants Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar View Post
    The issue of race is much more volatile than age or gender that's why this one bugs me where the others did not. And race is nothing but an illusion, anyway. Human beings are certainly biologically diverse, but there are no ontological differences between us, the way there would be between a donkey and a porpoise, for example.

It seems like a cheap way to try to stir up controversy in order to attract viewers.

Now if they'd divided them as California versus the rest of the world, that I'd watch.

Very well put!!!

Now, as a California girl who lived for 8 years in Wisconsin and 4 years in Michigan, I say---California welcomes all takers!!!
    "Well-behaved Women Seldom Make History" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Always shoot for the moon. That way, even if you fall short you are still among the stars!"
    (Don't remember who said this, I just like it )

Quote Originally Posted by Anemic Dog View Post
    I'm guessing that it's fairly likely they'll rig the competitions to ensure that no group gets eliminated quickly. Because that would be a PR disaster.
    But, that would be very transparent and just point out the fact that they are trying to skew this competition. Guess they are going for more "minority" viewers, but I do believe this will just come back to bite them in the a$$ in the long run.
    "Well-behaved Women Seldom Make History" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"Always shoot for the moon. That way, even if you fall short you are still among the stars!"
    (Don't remember who said this, I just like it )

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC View Post
    No one would have been crying racism then and I bet a lot of people would have thought it a brilliant move to show how diverse we really are. JMHO
    See, I don't know if anyone would have been crying racism, but I bet a lot of people would have been rolling their eyes, muttering about how stupid it is that, instead of just color-blindingly casting compelling people, they worry about "tokens". And there are a lot of layers to that; certainly, we could get into a whole deep sociological study about the entertainment industry in today's society, and how people aren't judged at face value, and the pros and cons of blah blah blah, an entire parallel argument to affirmative action. But I'd bet that most of us - black, white, Asian, Hispanic, what-have-you - just want an escape from difficult, frustrating issues when we watch these shows. I really can't stand the deeply-rooted racism that's so prevalent in, yes, today's America. It breaks my heart. But do I want to confront those feelings when I'm busily trying to bury my head in the sand about the state of the world, and thinking about immunity idols and that sort of crap? No. I don't see what good will come of this sort of divisive tribal breakdown, and I think the whole thing reeks of cheap, ratings-grabbing, Jerry Springer-level stupidity.

Just my opinion, though.

FORT Fanatic
    Oregon-moved to Calif for school- finished school, still in CA
    Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    I must be the crazy one here, but the race splits don't bother me at all (I'm half Puerto Rican for informational purposes). Is it really that much worse than splitting things by age and gender?
    I agree with you too. I'm caucasian, my husband is Japanese, my daughter Korean. Jeff said that this tendancy to group by race was already observed on previous seasons, so why not start out that way. I think it will provide tighter bonds between tribes with less tendancy for people to switch sides. It changes everyone's strategies with who ends up on the jury being one of the more important moves. To that end, there may be some self-sacrificing so that others can move on or to be able to get on the jury.

Rush made fun of this on his preshow commentary this morning. He suggested the next set of tribes could be different religions - like Christian, atheist, muslim.

20 contestants is new, right? I would think this would work better with three tribes instead of four.

FORT Regular
    This divide really doesn't bother me. It is a big deal because people are making a big deal instead of just looking at the teams and saying there are 20 people on this show trying to win the money.

The only way this would bother me would be if CBS edits the show to promote the stereotypes people have of each of these ethnicities. Then, I would consider it being racist.

Everyone on this show are there to win the money and have to do it the same way--get along with everyone or either have a real good strategy and persuade the people on the jury to vote for them. If anything, this show may bring different races together and show how everything doesn't always have to be about race.

I was so excited to see a diverse cast (finally) on Survivor!

Now it turns out they're split by race? hmmm...

Well, it's better than being as homogenous as Guatemala. And I'm sure they'll mix up the tribes within a few episodes anyway.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Actually, if you just look at the group picture, I'm not sure if I'd be able to assign a particular ethnicity to many of the contestants. And, it's quite possible that some of them are a blending of more than one race.

And, didn't I read a spoiler somewhere that there was a contestant, Pat, where it wasn't sure if they were a male or female? I don't see anyone that would fit that description.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    20 contestants is new, right? I would think this would work better with three tribes instead of four.
    They had 20 contestants for Palau, although they picked tribes and the two who didn't get picked were sent home. I read that they're having a double elimination this season because of having so many contestants.

The only way this would bother me would be if CBS edits the show to promote the stereotypes people have of each of these ethnicities. Then, I would consider it being racist.
    And I think CBS will do just that. I'll be really surprised if there isn't stereotyping or at least the tribes being edited to make it look like they're making racial jabs at the other tribes.

I think it will provide tighter bonds between tribes with less tendancy for people to switch sides.
    I think this is where the audience may have a problem. We all know that within a few episodes the tribes will be mixed up and it'll be like any other Survivor. But if you were to get 3 people from one tribe (race) on one tribe along with 2 people from another, and the 3 people pick the 2 off I'm sure someone out there will say they were being racist. Of course, on any other season, that would just be considered smart to keep the numbers on your side. I guess Burnett and Probst have succeeded because this has certainly gotten more buzz than the past few Survivor seasons. And of course we all know the saying even bad publicity is good publicity. I think I can picture what Burnett and everyone expected but somehow once the show gets going I don't think it'll go how he thought (I'm thinking of Jiffy making some remarks mid season about how this wasn't such a good idea after all; pre-show he always has to make it sound good).

Quote Originally Posted by JR. View Post
    I must be the crazy one here, but the race splits don't bother me at all (I'm half Puerto Rican for informational purposes). Is it really that much worse than splitting things by age and gender?
    Count me in as part of the crazy brigade. This doesn't offend me at all. If the contestants themselves start to engage in racist behaviour that would offend me. But I can't imagine they will. My first thought when I heard the news was: "Cool! Finally a season where the white folk are outnumbered!" (And for the record, I am a white folk.) It really surprised me when I started to hear that this lineup was being considered controversial. I'll bet that by the end of episode 2 they'll be reshuffled into two tribes and this will become a non-issue.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast