+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Survivor 13 Spoiler: Possible Contestant?**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

**Survivor 13 Spoiler: Possible Contestant?**

http://www.chicoer.com/newshome/ci_4154260

If this is true, getting a Courtney vibe from this one. I wonder when they're going to announce the cast; Survivor is going to be on in about a month I thought.

Former NorCal Roller Girl speculated to be on reality show
    By HEATHER HACKING - Staff Writer

Flica Flame might light up television sets around the nation this month, if rumors are true.
    The flame dancing, stilt dancing, roller derby queen from Chico has left her friends in a lurch.

The flamboyant "roller girl" is suspected to be among the contestants of the upcoming series of "Survivor," the reality game show that has America fixated on sarong-wearing men and women battling it out with wits and brawn to win a million dollars.

For those who don't know the show, ask a clerk at the grocery store about it, or knock on a neighbor's door and talk to the 9-year-old.

This show is among the top viewed reality shows raging the airwaves.

And how it may have snagged a Chicoan has to do with roller derby.

Chico is home to an up-and-coming roller derby league that has gained popularity at Cal Skate. Four teams of rough-and-tumble women who aren't afraid to get bruised, but won't be broken, compete against each other and bring in large crowds.

Some players have a large number of fans. Like any sport, it's fun to cheer on your favorites and boo your less favorites. Roller derby invites this type of audience participation.

Among those players was, up until recently, Flica Flame, 27.

Her real name is Jessica Smith. She was captain of the Voo Doo Dolls, the team that won the recent roller derby championship.

Each team takes on their persona with aplomb. The roller gals paint their faces like something out of "Braveheart" and wear tribal costumes of ripped-up cloth and ratted hair.

It's not the World Wrestling Federation, but it's the same vibe.

Flica Flame is not the favorite among the league members. Some said she plays too rough and too hard.

But she might have drawn the attention of the producers of the show "Survivor" who were specifically looking for a tough chick to make the team on a remote island.

Time will tell when the show debuts at 8 p.m. Sept. 14 on CBS.

Cal Skate owner Mike Seko said the show contacted him wanting a roller derby participant, and he thinks that bodes well for the popularity of the sport. He gave them a few names and heard through his network that a couple of the girls were auditioned, including Flica/Smith. He heard she and the other roller derby players had been interviewed.

Then he noticed that there were many hits on the league's Web site, www.norcalrollergirls.com from a "spoiler" Web site that speculates on who might be on the show "Survivor."

Suddenly Smith's pictures and information about her started popping up more and more when he did an Internet search on "Flica Flame."

And then she disappeared, right about the time the show would have been taping in the Cook Islands off Australia.

Smith's personal Web site at MySpace.com shows she last logged in on June 20, a point that several of the Web sites speculating about her role on "Survivor" have noted. Among the several friends who have posted accolades, some have intimated good luck on her "ventures."

He's not surprised he doesn't know for certain. The show has very strict guidelines for not revealing the outcome of the competition. There's a lot at stake -- publicity, not to mention the million-dollar prize.

But if it's true, the gals from the local roller derby team will have fun watching Smith on "Survivor." Seko said he's looking for a local venue to hold parties to watch the show and cheer on Chico's contestant.

If it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post

If this is true, getting a Courtney vibe from this one. I wonder when they're going to announce the cast; Survivor is going to be on in about a month I thought.
    I have the same feeling, karalott. She looks like a "free spirit" from her photo. She looks as if she will definitely be the odd one out, but then again, Courtney made it pretty far. I still don't think this girl will make it too long.

And another thing, I wonder if Flica Flame is her real name? Maybe her parents were hippies. I would have definitely changed my name. It will be kind of funny, though, if she is great with fire-making.

Survivor does premiere in a month. It premieres September 14. I bet they will have the new cast up on Monday. They usually introduce the new casts for their reality shows on Mondays about a month before the premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by realityINXS View Post
    I have the same feeling, karalott. She looks like a "free spirit" from her photo. She looks as if she will definitely be the odd one out, but then again, Courtney made it pretty far. I still don't think this girl will make it too long.

And another thing, I wonder if Flica Flame is her real name? Maybe her parents were hippies. I would have definitely changed my name. It will be kind of funny, though, if she is great with fire-making.

Survivor does premiere in a month. It premieres September 14. I bet they will have the new cast up on Monday. They usually introduce the new casts for their reality shows on Mondays about a month before the premiere.
    This little line right here:

The flame dancing, stilt dancing, roller derby queen from Chico has left her friends in a lurch.
    is what made me think Courtney on skates. Survivor can be unpredictable because someone like Courtney probably would have been booted off pre-merge in an earlier season but nowadays alliances can be so screwy and people you never think would last long usually wind up in the final 4. Courtney seemed to annoy her tribe but because she stuck with them they kept her around and the same could be said for this chick. Flicka Flame's real name is Jessica Smith (quoted in the article) and Flicka Flame is just her-well, I'm not sure if you'd say stage name for a roller derby girl. Since Survivor premieres on the 14th you're probably right that the cast will be revealed next week.

There is an interesting twist I've been hearing about for this season
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that there are 4 tribes divided by race. Not sure whether it's true.
    Last edited by karalott; 08-19-2006 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    This little line right here is what made me think Courtney on skates. Survivor can be unpredictable because someone like Courtney probably would have been booted off pre-merge in an earlier season but nowadays alliances can be so screwy and people you never think would last long usually wind up in the final 4. Courtney seemed to annoy her tribe but because she stuck with them they kept her around and the same could be said for this chick. Flicka Flame's real name is Jessica Smith (quoted in the article) and Flicka Flame is just her-well, I'm not sure if you'd say stage name for a roller derby girl. Since Survivor premieres on the 14th you're probably right that the cast will be revealed next week.

There is an interesting twist I've been hearing about for this season
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that there are 4 tribes divided by race. Not sure whether it's true.
    Karalott, that would be a very interesting twist. I think it would be very interesting to watch. If it was done that way, I'm not 100% sure that any certain group would dominate. It would definitely be something different.

I did not even see her real name (I just skimmed the article). I'm just glad that's not her real name. Who would inflict that upon any child?

Click to see Spoiler:
    I would like to see them stay as four tribes for longer than they did last season. I didn't really understand the point of starting that way, and then dissolving them down to two tribes on the second episode.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Whatever happened to making up some creative excuse why you were going away? They're not even trying nowadays.

More seriously, I'm not really getting a Courtney vibe from her. Not sure why, but something more like an Ami seems to fit more.

About this twist...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    boy, this could backfire badly if not done properly. It's an interesting twist, to be sure, but they'd better be real careful about it. I can already imagine someone making some sort of incredibly dumb racist comment already.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Whatever happened to making up some creative excuse why you were going away? They're not even trying nowadays.

More seriously, I'm not really getting a Courtney vibe from her. Not sure why, but something more like an Ami seems to fit more.

About this twist...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    boy, this could backfire badly if not done properly. It's an interesting twist, to be sure, but they'd better be real careful about it. I can already imagine someone making some sort of incredibly dumb racist comment already.
    Like the days of Africa's Diane telling her friends she had gotten arrested for public intoxication and lashing out at a police officer and had been in jail the whole time?

I hope this girl is nothing like Courtney, but of course on first glance and the little description we got from her that's the first impression I got. I guess anyone associated with fire twirling will always get the first label from me.

Regarding the twist (and I wasn't sure if it needed to be put in spoiler tags since it isn't 100% confirmed)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I agree with realityINXS that I hope they don't dissolve the four tribes after just one episode like last season. If one tribe continues to lose challenges just split the remaining member's up and put them on another tribe. That was also my first though, Leo, that the producers may heavily play up stereotypes associated with each race and that we may see a lot of racial comments coming from the contestants themselves. First they divided it up by gender, then age, and I'm surprised no one ever speculated they'd do it by race. I never would have thought of that, and I'm sort of skeptical that it's true. On the other hand, if it's true, at least people who say minorities are sorely represented won't have any complaints this season )

Click to see Spoiler:
    Are they going to divide each tribe into four different races. The white, African american, Hispanic and the Asian american tribes. Also would each group consist of two men and two women?

It does sound like a good twist.

Click to see Spoiler:
    When the new cast is introduced, I think we will be able to tell if this twist is possibly true. If there are four black people, four Asian people, etc., then I will believe that this is the twist since they usually do not cast more than two of a certain race (for example, Cirie and Bobby last season).

I don't like that twist at all. I hope it isn't true.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Cornedbeef View Post
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Are they going to divide each tribe into four different races. The white, African american, Hispanic and the Asian american tribes. Also would each group consist of two men and two women?

It does sound like a good twist.
    Survivor Fever had a list of 11 potential contestants (Jessica/Flicka among them) but when this twist came about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they cancelled a lot of them out because all but two of spoiled contestants they had were white with 2 possible Asian-American contestants, male and female. Some of these other contestants were MIA around filming time so that makes me wonder if it's true. That's not to say that contestants thought to be on the show in the past weren't just hoaxes either. You are correct that the 4 tribes would be divided up among those races. I guess we will find out shortly whether there's any truth to it. I'm not crazy about it myself so I really hope it's false.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast