+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivor Guatemala's Lydia's Only Son Killed In Car Accident

Survivor Guatemala's Lydia's Only Son Killed In Car Accident

Lydia Morales, who made it to the final four on 'Survivor Guatemala', lost her only son in a fatal car accident on Monday. Here is the news story from KOMO news:

UNIVERSITY PLACE - A group of Buddhist monks gathered at the corner of 67th Avenue West and 44th Street West in University Place Tuesday afternoon.

Their rhythmic chanting was offered to help soothe a grieving father: a father who then reached out and touched the light pole where his son died and said: "I'm taking you home. I'm taking you home."

In the Buddhist tradition, Chairat Noppakovat was talking to the departed soul of his 18-year-old son Kevin.

Late Monday night, Kevin was a passenger in the back seat of a small car. He was sitting next to his best friend Nicholas Morales.

Witnesses say the car was going very fast when it side-swiped another car, careened out of control, and crashed into a light pole and metal railing at the southwest corner of the intersection. Kevin and Nicholas died instantly. The driver and a front seat passenger survived.

"Jumper cables flew over here, a tire hit my neighbor's car, it was one of the most...I've never seen anything like that in my life. It was really sad," said Corey Cline, whose home is just feet from the site of the crash.

"I'll never forget those two kids faces in the back seat," said Tom Landry another neighbor who tried to help the accident victims.

"He's my only son," said Lydia Morales who joined the Noppakovat family Tuesday afternoon at the crash scene.

Nicholas Morales and Kevin Noppakovat graduated from Clover Park High School just his past June. They were in the Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program together and were planning to start college next month.

On her kitchen table Lydia showed us the high school scrap book she had almost finished for her son. "(They had).....a lot of promise in their future," she said through her tears. "So it was so tragic."

"He's an awesome kid," said Kevin's dad, Chairat. "He's a leader. He loved his friend he took care of his friend. He (would) do anything for them. I don't know how to describe him," he said of his son. "He's my role model."

And their grief was made worse by the questions that haven't been answered. Both families say detectives have told them very little. They know how their sons died in an instant on this corner. But 24 hours later, they didn't know why.

Traffic investigators worked well into the early morning hours in Tuesday at the accident scene. Their findings had not yet been released as of Tuesday night. Witnesses say they believe another car was involved and that two cars might have been racing. The other injured teens have not been identified.
    This is horrible news. Since she is divorced, I don't know what other family she has for support in the time of this awful tragedy. My prayers go out to her.

So sad. My prayers go out to her.

Quote Originally Posted by realityINXS View Post
    This is horrible news. Since she is divorced, I don't know what other family she has for support in the time of this awful tragedy. My prayers go out to her.
    She has a brother, but he lives somewhere else and she hadn't seen him for several years when he visited during a Survivor episode. I remember thinking it was kind of sad that she didn't seem to have any close family.

What a terrible thing to happen.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

This is so sad
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

I, also, really hope that she has alot of support. I can't imagine losing any of my children. And, I don't think knowing that he died instantly would provide much solace either. I watched my dad deteriorate from cancer last year and I learned that death is death. Missing a loved one is just difficult plain and simple. My heart goes out to her and his father.
    Ginger Rogers made all of the same dance moves as Fred Astaire- only backwards and in high-heels!

How sad. My prayers are with the families.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I'm sure all FORT members join me in expressing their deepest sympathy and condolences for Lydia and the family members of those lost in this tragic accident. No parent should ever have to bury their child. Hug your loved ones extra tight tonight friends.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pono View Post
    I'm sure all FORT members join me in expressing their deepest sympathy and condolences for Lydia and the family members of those lost in this tragic accident. No parent should ever have to bury their child. Hug your loved ones extra tight tonight friends.
    Absolutely. How terribly sad and senseless that two promising young lives had to end like this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    What's a sad (and eerie) connection is that Lydia was the replacement for Tina, who had to drop of out Guatemala because she had just lost her son in a car accident. How sad for Lydia and my heart does go out to her. I don't have children of my own but I still can't imagine the pain of losing a child, let alone your only child.

So sad Rest In Peace

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast