+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 3/9 Show Discussion Thread *Time Zone Spoilers Only*

CEO
    I suspect that Terry is sly enough to cover his tracks. She won't find any boxes or empty holes...

I just wanted to add that I personally did not think that when Terry said he had made a managerial decision, that he had made that decision for the entire group. Austin and Nick were already going to vote for Dan. Terry made that decision for himself, and how he processed the decision to vote off Dan was much in the sense that he knew he had to let the weakest of the tribe go. It was his way of justifying his decision to himself, and that is how he described it. I applaud all of the men for being so open and honest about the whole boot. But... on the other hand, I suppose what was different this time was that there was no editing to "throw" us off of the track on who was the real boot like there usually is. It was straightforward, blatant, and clear. I know many people always complain that we don't ever get to see enough of the boot speculation or are always given a red herring to look for at tribal.. but i much prefer that way than how it was done this week. I would rather hope for a hitch in the big plan than to be told exactly what is going to happen each time. Of course, there probably wasn't any other type of discussion to put out there to throw us off either; MB & crew probably did the best they could with what they had.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Im not sure that we are watching the same season of Survivor. What behavior and evidence have you seen that indicates that Terry is a Jerk? He is certainly in charge, by the force of his leadership experience and his willingness to make necessary decisions, but a jerk that does not make him. Now, since we are on the subject of jerks, let's talk about some of the castaways that are on the casaya tribe...
    Let's see, Terry makes a managerial decision to screw the person he made an alliance with before there is a merge. Terry is trying desperately to pull a Tom and carry the tribe on his back and when he can't, he seems to let others take the blame. Terry thinks he is some cool dude and I think he's just an obnoxious jerk who obviously thinks that women can't compete in this game with men, so he has targeted the women in the tribe first, not recognizing that Casaya is beating La Mina in the challenges because of teamwork. But Terry's too cool and too busy making "managerial decisions" to recognize he's just not man enough to successfully carry the tribe, so maybe he should have been voted out last night. Well, except he wouldn't have been because he would have used that damn Idol...

anyways

methinks bruce will form an alliance w/terry when the merge happens. i can see shane going soon, and then courtney and aras......they just cant shut their mouths and theyll pay for it somewhere along the line.....

anyways i love march madness.............im hoping by some stroke of luck that michigan gets in........the spartans are already there..........

and i always like rooting for the underdogs like butler, southern illinois, bucknell, U-wisconsin/milwaukee, ect ect....

Quote Originally Posted by Melsevene View Post
    Let's see, Terry makes a managerial decision to screw the person he made an alliance with before there is a merge. Terry is trying desperately to pull a Tom and carry the tribe on his back and when he can't, he seems to let others take the blame. Terry thinks he is some cool dude and I think he's just an obnoxious jerk who obviously thinks that women can't compete in this game with men, so he has targeted the women in the tribe first, not recognizing that Casaya is beating La Mina in the challenges because of teamwork. But Terry's too cool and too busy making "managerial decisions" to recognize he's just not man enough to successfully carry the tribe, so maybe he should have been voted out last night. Well, except he wouldn't have been because he would have used that damn Idol...
    I am not sure where it was Terry's fault that LaMina lost this last challenge. It was lost in the puzzle solving, and that was on Sally and Dan. So how is it that Terry is letting others take the blame? Sally was saved by Casaya and Dan was the other weak link. The last immunity that LaMina lost, Dan was weak there too. Ruth Marie was voted off, but I really think that Austin has a lot of influence over Terry's "decisions." Terry was going to stand by the Sally boot until Austin convinced him otherwise. And another thing, I think that they just want the strongest tribe. I agree with voting off the weaker links. I am tired of all the UTR types skating through to the end. But that's my opinion.. I am definitely not trying to change your mind about your view on Terry, just trying to offer a different perspective is all

CEO
    Let's see, Terry makes a managerial decision to screw the person he made an alliance with before there is a merge.
    Terry spent a considerable amount of effort discussing with Dan what was going to happen. Dan told him that it was the right thing to do during that discussion and dan himself postulated that the logical choice, for the very survival of the tribe, was for Dan to be the next boot. Terry didn't make up the other two guys' minds for them and Terry was extremely ethical in his dealings with Dan. Would shane have done this? How about Aras?

Terry is trying desperately to pull a Tom and carry the tribe on his back and when he can't, he seems to let others take the blame.
    Terry's behavior doesn't indicate to me that he thinks that he carries them on his back, the TRIBE has SAID that he carries them on his back. It isn't in his head, it is the reality of every other person in his tribe. Terry isn't desperate about anything. He doesn't have to be; he holds all of the cards and a few to spare. I don't think Terry tries to take charge just to be manly, I think he simply spent most of his adult life, and millions of your tax dollars, learning to be an effective leader -- and it shows.

Terry thinks he is some cool dude and I think he's just an obnoxious jerk who obviously thinks that women can't compete in this game with men, so he has targeted the women in the tribe first, not recognizing that Casaya is beating La Mina in the challenges because of teamwork.
    Where is it that we can look at what contestants think? There aren't any women in his alliance. He happened to be stuck with the old guys at the beginning and he had more in common with the two young guys when they did the psuedo merge. They bonded and created a very effective alliance. Of course he and his alliance are targeting the 'women' -- there aren't any girls in the alliance. Sheesh.

But Terry's too cool and too busy making "managerial decisions" to recognize he's just not man enough to successfully carry the tribe, so maybe he should have been voted out last night. Well, except he wouldn't have been because he would have used that damn Idol...
    I should suspect that every one of us would be busy making decisions were we a week away from the tribal merge and trying to win one-million-dollars. Even the guys at *gasp* casaya make decisions, sometime about how many people it takes to build a fire or to destroy a zen garden (but I digress). Terry would be guilty of all that you allege had he NOT had that discussion with Dan about the vote; but then we wouldn't be having this debate because there would be no-one to lambaste for making 'managerial decisions'...

There are lots of people to hate in this game, and there are probably lots of reasons to hate Terry too; but I haven't seen any of those reasons written here. I have seen lots of evidence to have a strong dislike for Shane, a mild dislike for Aras, a distrust of Bruce, and a sickened feeling in my gut about Courtney. Cirie is playing a brilliant game, especially for someone who hates the outdoors as much as she does; and Danielle has two big reasons for me to like her, but were I to expand upon that, I would be guilty of forming an opinion based solely on unsupportable feelings instead of logic, and I don't want to be that guy.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar
    Let's see, Terry makes a managerial decision to screw the person he made an alliance with before there is a merge. .
    hold on - it was my impression that their alliance consisted of always being honest with each other - i don't remember there being anything about not voting, i think that came as a convenient assumption later on...

eeks, am i wrong about that?
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

FORT Fan

Question about "comforts"...

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Hee. Shane gets some nicotine!
    Let me apologize in advance if this has been previously discussed; I did a quick search on "cigarette" and came up empty.

If he were able to get them, would Shane be allowed to take cigarettes back to camp with him after leaving the village?

Typically, once these types of rewards (those whereby you get to interact with people outside of the game) are finished, you head back with little more than a tummy full of food (maybe some leftovers) and some nice memories. My guess is that the producers had no problem with Shane getting a little "extra" reward by bumming some smokes from one of the locals. But would they have let him return to camp with cigarettes? Are all bets off once the game starts in terms of how or where you get items?

My initial thoughts were that Shane would not be allowed to take smokes back to camp with him.

1. They were not part of the actual reward (maybe the "official ruling" would state that only those items designated as reward items can go back to camp with you).

2. They would be only of use to him (presumably) and not the rest of the tribe.

3. If Shane were allowed to take cigarettes back to camp that were procured from a source outside of the game, what is stopping family members from doing the same thing when they visit?

Does anyone know what the official ruling on this type of situation would be?

I'm sad that Dan got the boot But I guess we saw this coming a mile away, I kept finding myself saying "no way, it won't be him, they are showing him too much"..."oh crap, they are showing him too much, maybe he is going"..."oh god, he's yapping about his job and annoying the group, they hate him"..."oh NO the other team is too smart not to send the girlie to the island"... BOOOOOO

But, I still think Terry is going all the way (man he is getting rough looking, he was drool worthy on Day 1)...and good for him anyway. I like rooting for our airline pilots!

As long as it isn't Courtney, I think I'll be okay this season.
    They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    There aren't any women in his alliance. He happened to be stuck with the old guys at the beginning and he had more in common with the two young guys when they did the psuedo merge. They bonded and created a very effective alliance. Of course he and his alliance are targeting the 'women' -- there aren't any girls in the alliance. Sheesh.

Cirie is playing a brilliant game, especially for someone who hates the outdoors as much as she does; and Danielle has two big reasons for me to like her, but were I to expand upon that, I would be guilty of forming an opinion based solely on unsupportable feelings instead of logic, and I don't want to be that guy.
    What did he have in common with them? They were guys. What did he have in common with Ruth Marie? Age--they've lived through the same world and life events, probably both been parents, etc. What did he have in common with a couple of kids? A Y chromosome. Why the 2 young guys and not the two young women? One young woman was an engineer, should have SOME kind of bonding potential with Dan and Terry. But the 2 young guys were guys. So that's the part I don't like about Terry, the whole Boys' Club thing. I don't think he considered the women for an alliance for a nanosecond. He works almost entirely with guys, he's used to guys, he goes for guys. Lucky for him he moved into another mostly male preserve, commercial piloting--don't think he'd do too well in today's business world, where he'd actually have to try to bond with women over something other than, what's for dinner?
    Otherwise his leadership seems ok, especially since the other people in the Boys' Club seem to have suppressed all their own leadership abilities in deference to his--or maybe they never had any. Not like he has to boss them around. They practically beg to be led.

I"m liking Cirie's play, too. I think she doesn't just sit back and enjoy it, she even cautiously stirs the pot. Not in a way that would get her called out, but whenever she can. And not just with words, with sympathetic facial expressions, etc., that Shane can't catch.

+ Reply to Thread