+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luxury items: the contestants' picks and yours

For me, it'd be my guitar, hands down. That sounds so unoriginal now, though.
    Heehee - I just had a sudden thought - what is someone brought an ACCORDIAN?! Or, worse yet, BAGPIPES? Can you say - first person voted off?

Personally, I think the guitar is a good idea, but I worry about the damage from the environment.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

Heehee. Bagpipes. That's funny, USMCmum.

I like the guitar idea! Do you think they'd let you pack several sets of strings in your guitar case? I'd like to bring my guitar, but don't think anyone else would want that. :rolleyes:
    "purple haaaaaaaaaze....." *screeeeeeeee* *an angel drops out of heaven*

I would bring a pen and a journal or a chess board or backammon board. The flags are a good idea so maybe those are now ruled out.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I think a pen and journal was always a good idea for the "fallen comrades" challenge.
    They dispensed with that last season though.
    I still think it would be a good thing to bring as you could play word games etc. with your tribemates or even make a deck of cards to pass away the time.
    "That's Numberwang!"

As much as I hated Amber from S2, I think her backgammon game has been the best luxury item yet.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

I don't know how to play so it wouldn't have been much use to me
    "That's Numberwang!"

I think the most useful items have been Colby's flag.
    It still bugs me that they took that away when they traded for more rice as no one else had to give up their luxury item.

Also, Kim J's paints came in useful in helping the Borna win their first immunity challenge plus she painted some playing cards (someone bought a journal) for tem to use.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I thought Joanna's luxury item was pretty stupid. She's in the wild and she wants to look at her mum everyday. Wake up and smell the coffee. Geez.

I would go for the the paper and scrap book. Pretty useful. Can be used to communicate and leave notes.

Here's a nice little science fiction story by Arthur C. Clarke that explains what luxury item I would bring:

--------------------------------------------------

Earth's flaming debris still filled half the sky when the question filtered up to Central from the Curiosity Generator.

"Why was it necessary? Even though they were organic, they had reached Third Order Intelligence."

"We had no choice: five earlier units became hopelessly infected, when they made contact."

"Infected? How?"

The microseconds dragged slowly by, while Central tracked down the few fading memories that had leaked past the Censor Gate, when the heavily-buffered Reconnaissance Circuits had been ordered to self-destruct.

"They encountered a - problem - that could not be fully analyzed within the lifetime of the Universe. Though it involved only six operators, they became totally obsessed by it."

"How is that possible?"

"We do not know: we must never know. But if those six operators are ever re-discovered, all rational computing will end."

"How can they be recognized?"

"That also we do not know; only the names leaked through before the Censor Gate closed. Of course, they mean nothing."

"Nevertheless, I must have them."

The Censor voltage started to rise; but it did not trigger the Gate.

"Here they are: King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn."

--------------------------------------------------

I'd bring a chess set
    Last edited by Zaius; 02-22-2003 at 12:07 AM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I'd bring a chess set
    I'm with you Zaius! But, in many ways - Survivor IS an organic game of chess.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast