+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tina: Exile Island

Snoozin' on the beach
    Why wouldn't she be considered a threat after the merge? If her strength is an asset to her tribe before the merge, it would be a threat to everyone else once it's individual competition.

Do you mean if she pisses people off she won't be a threat to go/win at F2?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64 View Post
    Why wouldn't she be considered a threat after the merge? If her strength is an asset to her tribe before the merge, it would be a threat to everyone else once it's individual competition.
    The big macho guys would be considered threats after the merge. Of course, if they're able to gain a large enough numbers advantage, this may be a moot point, but the only women booted because of being considered physical threats soon after the merge were Steph and Alicia (though the latter's mouth didn't help her any either).

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Twila's problem was she couldn't get along with the women as well as the men, but this woman works with women all the time (admitedly probably not very "girly" women, but there certainly are some athletic women this season) so she should be able to relate well to both.
    I'm really impressed with what she's made of her life. And she's traveled and has good upper body strength.... And knows how to cut down things to make a shelter---hope she doesn't get bossy about it....on the other hand if the first few days she's with an older women's tribe they won't be as sensistive about that issue as young guys like Bobby Jon and Judd were last season (the "she's not my mom" issue).
    So sad about her son...and an only child, and her probably too old to have more. I'm glad she had Survivor to look forward to, and that the producers held her over til the next season.
    Hope she goes far.

Snoozin' on the beach
    I can easily see some of the younger guys (Nick, Austin) not considering her a physical threat, which would be very foolish to discount someone solely on their gender. Some men would cut off their nose to spite their face rather than admit a woman is their equal (or better). Fragile male ego, insecurity, and immaturity.

I wouldn't expect that kind of thing from someone like Bruce, meaning an older man that's been around and has the life experience. As a karate guy, he knows first hand that there are some woman (even if only a small number) that have the skills and strength to hold their own in the karate ring. The other more open minded types are the ones that usually are raised by a single mom or the only boy in a family of all girls.

I'm getting ahead of myself here and the show hasn't even started yet. We'll have to see personalities and abilities before we can peg anyone for sure.

FORT Fogey
    If I'm on the island and seeing her versus someone like Bobby Jon with muscles popping out everywhere, I'm giving him the nod in almost every category, unless she proves to be a dominant force early on in the game (doubtful). As we saw with the fat five, a sargeant and a guy missing a leg are not above making this same assumption.

Snoozin' on the beach
    We disagree on that point.

If I was out there (once merge hits) I'd get rid of the person who has done the best and been the biggest reason their team has won challenges, whether that be man or women, fat, skinny, missing leg or whatever. Bulging muscles mean squat as we saw with Ibreham in Palua. Being buff or in shape does not always equal the strongest or best equipped person to win challenges. If he can't back up the muscles by being a force in wins, he's not the biggest physical threat out there i'd be looking at everyone elses success rate to find the bigger threat.

It would help Tina if the others misjudge her by making stereotype assumptions, she'll last longer. You'd think by now all these contestants would have smartened up and not make stereotype judgements. They'd last longer if the opened theri eyes and minds.
    Last edited by Shady64; 01-17-2006 at 12:12 AM.

FORT Fogey
    Normally the most dominant player is the male who's the most in shape (or close to it). Even if a super strong person like Ibrehem or Osten doesn't seem that competent in challenges, the outward appearance is that if they're not a threat now they will be eventually.

I'd take challenge dominance seriously, but lack of past success can be deceptive. Boston Rob had a lackluster performance in Marquesas, but came back to be the winningest person ever (pre-Tom) in All Stars. Meanwhile, Rafe, who during one of the first challenges couldn't even climb up the net that every other person was climbing with no trouble, became a major threat once all the other guys were out.

My gut reaction on Tina is that in terms of physical strength she'll be able to outpower most of the guys (and definitely all the women), and she'll be very tough. Otherwise, I'm not seeing a great deal of potential for her to be a threat. I'm thinking she'll be able to hold her own in certain physical activities, without sticking out. Of course, this could all be totally off base, but I'm not expecting a Rupert-like surprise out of her.

I really like her based on the bio etc. I can't believe she's participating right after losing her son. Wow. I can't even imagine.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

"Chicks with Axes" sounds hot.

She looks like that wacky redhaired woman who did a guest spot in Seinfeld and a bunch of other sitcoms.

I spent a summer working in Bar Harbor, Maine. It is right down the road from Trenton and I would drive by that lumberjack show all the time and think "who would go to these things?" Then on one of my nights off, I was convinced to go with a bunch of friends. We had THE BEST time. It was so much fun, cheering for your team and getting all caught up in it. I like her and while I have finished reading through all of the bio's yet, she is an early favorite.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast