+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you have eaten the chicken

I wouldn't have, partly out of respect for the ceremony (which I would not have been able to watch) but mostly because I'm a 20+ year non meat eater.
    It would have been a very easy choice, particularly as whatever happened they were all at the most 2 days away from the game being over and a good nosh-up.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    I think it's too easy to sit here in front of our computers, with our kitchens only a few feet away, and say we would not eat it out of respect for someone else's religion. I don't think fasting is the same thing because you still have control of what you are consuming so it's not like you don't have food available to you if you need it.
    Since you addressed my comment about fasting directly, I'll respond to that. Fasting takes a tremendous amount of discipline, especially knowing that my kitchen full of food is just 10 feet away. If I were in the Survivors situation, where I had no access to food, it would actually be easier for me to just not eat, even with that charred chicken sitting there. I understand that you don't know me personally, so you have no idea how truly hardheaded I am about my beliefs and self-discipline, but when I say I wouldn't have eaten the chicken, I can assure you that I wouldn't have eaten the chicken. Period. My personal beliefs and sense of integrity mean more to me than food...

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    ...but if it's truly a matter of life or death, then you bet I'm going to eat the chicken.
    But it wasn't a matter of life or death for the players, so there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno View Post
    No.. I wouldn't have.
    No - I am pretty sure (99%) that I wouldn't have eaten it either.

Premium Member
    VinceDee - You took two sentences out of entirely different parts of my original post and quoted them as though they were written that way. If you read the whole post you can see that when I was talking about fasting I was comparing it to being in a situation where you did not know where your next meal was coming from, which had nothing to do with my opinion about the religious aspect of it.
    You also said
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceDee
    But it wasn't a matter of life or death for the players, so there you are.
    but please note that I did say "if it's truly a matter of life and death". I also said towards the end that I did not believe that the contestants were in a life and death situation.

Here is my original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I think it's too easy to sit here in front of our computers, with our kitchens only a few feet away, and say we would not eat it out of respect for someone else's religion. The God I believe in doesn't command me to sacrifice live animals so I don't believe I would go to hell for eating it. If I were truly starving... and I don't mean like Stephenie who just had the munchies all the time, but more like Danni who was actually emaciated down to skin and bones... I would be more likely to see the chicken as God providing what I needed to survive. A lot of us said the same thing during hurricane Katrina - that we could understand looting when was a matter of survival and people were only taking a little bit of food. Stealing is wrong just like I agree with everyone that interfering with that sacrifice was wrong, but if it's truly a matter of life or death, then you bet I'm going to eat the chicken.
    It's hard to say because I have no idea what it's really like to honestly not know where that next meal is coming from. I don't think fasting is the same thing because you still have control of what you are consuming so it's not like you don't have food available to you if you need it. It's also hard to say that these people were truly starving because I don't believe that the producers would actually let any of the contestants starve to the point of endangering their lives, so in that case then they probably did not need the chicken to survive and they most certainly knew that. Which is probalby why Rafe was able to resist and not eat it.
    I certainly meant no disrespect to your beliefs, and I did not mean to imply that I think fasting is no big deal. It is a personal commitment that absolutely does take discipline, I get that. I have enjoyed reading some of your posts in other threads, and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot here, but I feel like you have twisted the meaning of what I said by editing together totally different parts of my post and then implied that I have less integrity than you because we have different opinions. In this discussion of whether or not we would eat the chicken I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, just a lot of different perspectives based on very diverse individual beliefs. That's what makes it interesting.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 12-21-2005 at 05:01 PM.

I certainly would have. I'm not Mayan. If they came to my country, I wouldn't be offended if they didn't partake in some American tradition. (say turkey and dressing)

Had I been MAYAN, then yes I would have left the chicken alone. It's a cultural thing.

FORT Newbie
    I wouldn't have eaten the chicken, I would have given away the cars, I'd donate all my lotto winnings to charity, and if I went to war I'd be a fearless hero. How freakin' awesome am I?!?!

Stephanie was very well nourished - and she was the one to goad the others into the idea.
    I know Steph is like totally the most evil person in the world ever, and the atrocities she commited can never (NEVER EVER!!!!!) be forgiven, but here's how it actually played out:

Rafe: Is that chicken carcass still over there?
    Danni: Yeah, do you want to check it out?
    Steph: Can we do that, or no?
    Danni: I would try it.
    Last edited by Cjay; 12-24-2005 at 12:57 PM.

screw their culture, I'm hungry.

thats how i look at it.

FORT Newbie
    I was in no way trying to impugne your integrity, Marleybone. Nor was I trying to twist your words. I used the two sentences in question together because they seemed to me to be representative of what you were saying, at least to me. [I actually was not paying attention to the religious aspect of your comments in my response at all (just as I have not referred to this entire issue in a religious context, though it might certainly be the case)]. I'm sorry if I offended you.

It appeared to me that your entire paragraph was saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) that it's easy to say we would do one thing while we're sitting in front of our computers, but in a dire situation we are likely to do otherwise. That is all I was responding to, and I was simply saying that, to the contrary, I almost certainly would not do otherwise. I certainly am in no position to say anything about your personal honor. At the same time, your comments about fasting seemed to call into question my own personal fidelity by implying that fasting is not the same thing as starving, so that I must not really be able to say what I would do if I was actually starving. I believe that I could say what I would do in such a situation, because I've been in extreme pressure situations before, and I basically always respond in a manner consistent with my stated core beliefs. I mentioned fasting as an example merely because it's only one (of many) situations that can demonstrate whether a person can stay true to their principles. It could just as well be a circumstance such as finding a wallet full of money on the floor of a commuter train or being confronted by a armed mugger. Those are the moments when a person is faced with who they really are...those are the moments in which you define yourself.

In the end, most of the Survivor players ate the chicken. Some of us agreed with their decision, some of us didn't. It apparently didn't make a difference as to who ultimately won the game, so it's largely a moot issue, but it's been fun discussing it, anyway.
    Last edited by VinceDee; 12-30-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceDee View Post
    I was in no way trying to impugne your integrity, Marleybone. Nor was I trying to twist your words. I used the two sentences in question together because they seemed to me to be representative of what you were saying, at least to me. [I actually was not paying attention to the religious aspect of your comments in my response at all (just as I have not referred to this entire issue in a religious context, though it might certainly be the case)]. I'm sorry if I offended you.

It appeared to me that your entire paragraph was saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) that it's easy to say we would do one thing while we're sitting in front of our computers, but in a dire situation we are likely to do otherwise. That is all I was responding to, and I was simply saying that, to the contrary, I almost certainly would not do otherwise. I certainly am in no position to say anything about your personal honor. At the same time, your comments about fasting seemed to call into question my own personal fidelity by implying that fasting is not the same thing as starving, so that I must not really be able to say what I would do if I was actually starving. I believe that I could say what I would do in such a situation, because I've been in extreme pressure situations before, and I basically always respond in a manner consistent with my stated core beliefs. I mentioned fasting as an example merely because it's only one (of many) situations that can demonstrate whether a person can stay true to their principles. It could just as well be a circumstance such as finding a wallet full of money on the floor of a commuter train or being confronted by a armed mugger. Those are the moments when a person is faced with who they really are...those are the moments in which you define yourself.

In the end, most of the Survivor players ate the chicken. Some of us agreed with their decision, some of us didn't. It apparently didn't make a difference as to who ultimately won the game, so it's largely a moot issue, but it's been fun discussing it, anyway.
    Fair enough.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    No contest here. I would not eat the chicken.

Many religions make offerings to their God(s). To eat those offerings is to disrespect the people who made those offerings. And to do so while a guest in that person's country is outright offensive.

If you're so close to death you have to drag your carcass to the charred chicken then you have an excuse, but when you've been invited by the people to witness their religious ceremony and then you defile that ceremony by eating the offering to their God... well, like I said, no contest for me.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast