+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: Would you have eaten the chicken

  1. #31
    CCL
    CCL is offline
    Climbing Solsbury Hill CCL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    8,632
    Marley & Julitta have some interesting ideas. Julitta would eat the chicken because she doesn't subscribe to the Mayan's beliefs. As far as I know, neither do I. So, really, should a belief that is not mine keep me from eating something that will give me nourishment? Marley's notion that the appearance of the chicken could be viewed as a gift from God, an item that would provide much needed sustenance, is also interesting. I can see believing that and, if I did, wouldn't it be wrong not to partake of the food that God had provided me? Hmmm....
    Well, in the end I think that I could not have eaten the chicken. The sacrifice and ceremony involved were important to the Mayan people - I wouldn't have wanted to contravene that. And eating the chicken would have felt a bit like slapping them in the face. But, facing the actual situation, I might act differently. Who knows?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

  2. #32
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    389
    I would not have eaten it. It's a respect issue for me also. (and I honestly don't think the thunderstorm was an accident- I believe it came because of the disrespect to the culture). I thought Jeff was a little P.O.'d at them as well- how embarassing for Jeff and Mark Burnett to cast people who have no regard for the culture and land they were using for 40 days. I was embarassed for them myself.

  3. #33
    FORT Fogey captain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Follow the Yellow Brick Road
    Posts
    4,438
    I asked my assistant today if he would have eaten the chicken and explained the ceremony to him. At first he said he would have definitely eaten the chicken. After a lot of discussion, he came to my conclusion (I tell him I am always right, but he doesn't listen, oh well that is another problem)
    Out of respect to the Mayan ceremony I would not have eaten the chicken. Plus they knew they only had a few more days and would be out of their situation. Very disrespetful in my view. Once I told my assistant about the torrential storm that is when he really came to my side.
    There's no place like home!

  4. #34
    FORT Fan julitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    kissing frogs at legend lake
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I would not have eaten it. It's a respect issue for me also. (and I honestly don't think the thunderstorm was an accident- I believe it came because of the disrespect to the culture). I thought Jeff was a little P.O.'d at them as well- how embarassing for Jeff and Mark Burnett to cast people who have no regard for the culture and land they were using for 40 days. I was embarassed for them myself.
    i don't think you have to be embarrassed for mark burnett. i don't believe for a second that was not a setup for controversy. they come to their camp, kill the chicken, and then leave it in their fire. in the fire, in the camp, of four starving people scrounging for food, smelling a nice roasted chicken? please. and look, the radar shows a thunderstorm headed our way. let's have them say the thunder gods name a few times, so when they eat the chicken, they think they caused it. i think that whole thing ended up just the way burnett wanted it too.

  5. #35
    all hot air Ana Bannana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in the palm of the mitten
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    i don't think you have to be embarrassed for mark burnett. i don't believe for a second that was not a setup for controversy. they come to their camp, kill the chicken, and then leave it in their fire. in the fire, in the camp, of four starving people scrounging for food, smelling a nice roasted chicken? please.
    julitta - I respectfully disagree with your view that these were "Four starving people." Stephanie was very well nourished - and she was the one to goad the others into the idea. Yes, the idea most likely came from the producers, but I do not believe they were all starving.

  6. #36
    FORT Fan julitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    kissing frogs at legend lake
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    julitta - I respectfully disagree with your view that these were "Four starving people." Stephanie was very well nourished - and she was the one to goad the others into the idea. Yes, the idea most likely came from the producers, but I do not believe they were all starving.
    i don't mean starving as in "oh my god i have to eat or i'll die". i mean starving as in "oh my god i'm so hungry i could eat that sacrificial chicken" steph didn't have to goad the other two, they wanted that chicken just as much as she did. i have to admitt i would be just as annoying as steph about the food issue. i eat like a pig, have an amazing metabolism, and am always hungry. just this summer on a 6 hour drive back from a friends house, i was so hungry i stopped at a house when i smelled their grill from my window. i offered them money for a brat. they gave me the brat, but wouldn't take my money. i had even pigged out before i left my friends. thats how i know i would eat that damn chicken without a doubt.

  7. #37
    all hot air Ana Bannana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in the palm of the mitten
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    i eat like a pig, have an amazing metabolism, and am always hungry. just this summer on a 6 hour drive back from a friends house, i was so hungry i stopped at a house when i smelled their grill from my window. i offered them money for a brat. they gave me the brat, but wouldn't take my money. i had even pigged out before i left my friends. thats how i know i would eat that damn chicken without a doubt.
    I am in awe of you for 2 reasons.
    1. Your amazing metabolism.
    2. Your gutsiness for asking a stranger for food from their grill. (I assume it was a stranger.)

    But I still wouldn't have eaten the chicken. (Had to throw that last line in there to stay on topic for the mods. )

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Enjoying Real Life
    Posts
    5,731
    Yeah, I'd have eaten the chicken.

    If I were in that situation, out there starving, I'd have eaten the thing. I wouldn't have waited four hours to do it, either.

    I'd have probably pounced on the thing as soon as those people who held the ceremony were gone from the camp.

    That way, you see, the chicken would have still been hot and juicy!!!

  9. #39
    Go Bruins! Qboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    LOST in the 70's
    Posts
    10,321
    Well, I can't really say what I would have done in their situation. I've never been starving. My ribs have never been visible through my skin. So maybe I would have, maybe not.

    All I know for sure is that as a viewer I was yelling at my TV: "No! Don't eat the chicken! You'll be cursed for life!"
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

  10. #40
    Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    7,967
    No.. I wouldn't have.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.