+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Would you have eaten the chicken

Premium Member
    I think it's too easy to sit here in front of our computers, with our kitchens only a few feet away, and say we would not eat it out of respect for someone else's religion. The God I believe in doesn't command me to sacrifice live animals so I don't believe I would go to hell for eating it. If I were truly starving... and I don't mean like Stephenie who just had the munchies all the time, but more like Danni who was actually emaciated down to skin and bones... I would be more likely to see the chicken as God providing what I needed to survive. A lot of us said the same thing during hurricane Katrina - that we could understand looting when was a matter of survival and people were only taking a little bit of food. Stealing is wrong just like I agree with everyone that interfering with that sacrifice was wrong, but if it's truly a matter of life or death, then you bet I'm going to eat the chicken.
    It's hard to say because I have no idea what it's really like to honestly not know where that next meal is coming from. I don't think fasting is the same thing because you still have control of what you are consuming so it's not like you don't have food available to you if you need it. It's also hard to say that these people were truly starving because I don't believe that the producers would actually let any of the contestants starve to the point of endangering their lives, so in that case then they probably did not need the chicken to survive and they most certainly knew that. Which is probalby why Rafe was able to resist and not eat it.

Well said Marleybone!
    I would hope that I would have the strength and character to NOT eat the chicken. They asked, were told no - and that should be it.

But, in a weakened, hungry state, I might say to hell with it and chow.
    for Rafe. He didn't win the game, but he won my respect for not eating the chicken. (Although, releasing Danni from their promise ...well that's another topic altogether.)

i would have eaten the chicken for sure. i don't believe what the mayans believe. they were not around to see it. if your hungry, why let a chicken char away in a fire, to be dragged away by hungry animals in the night? for a religion you don't believe in? not me. and if i was starving, and came upon an empty church with wafers and a glass of wine sitting inside, i'd eat them too. and i think God would forgive me. i find it funny that some who think eating the chicken was disrespectful, are some of the same that found christians praying out loud earlier in the show disrespectful. we should start a thread discussing whats up with that.

I don't know. I'd like to say I wouldn't eat the chicken, because regardless of my beliefs it was a religious ceremony and I hope I would respect it. On the other hand, 37 days with very little food and I imagine char-grilled Danni would look good (LOL!), so I can't say for sure.

Who'd want to risk the Karmic kickback?

Not I.

I'm pretty darn sure I would have abstained...especially since it was so close to the end, and for all the other reasons stated.
    Late to the Posting Party, but here all along.

FORT Regular
    I am not going to kid myself and say I wouldn't eat the chicken. I have trouble passing McDonalds without stopping for a double cheeseburger. If they would have burried the chicken, I wouldn't dig it up. But if it is just sitting there in plain view, there is no way I would have been able to resist.

Snoozin' on the beach
    i wouldn't have eaten the chicken for fear of food poisoning. It's 120 degrees and that thing sat there for at least 3 hours, no way. Anyone whose ever had a bad case of FP knows that you just want to die, you feel so horrible. To much of a risk.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone else for eating the chicken though. Fortunatly no one got sick but had it turned bad, all but rafe would have been lying on the jungle floor, not able to even pick their head up to throw up. He'd have won the rest of the rewards and immunties just by virtue or standing vertical for more than 1 minute! That would be a smart way to get ahead for Rafe had things worked out that way

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady64 View Post
    i wouldn't have eaten the chicken for fear of food poisoning. It's 120 degrees and that thing sat there for at least 3 hours, no way. Anyone whose ever had a bad case of FP knows that you just want to die, you feel so horrible. To much of a risk.
    That would be the one reason for not eating it that makes the most sense.

I don't know about food poisoning. That chicken was charred black from the heat, and so for the majority of the time it was sitting out there it would have been protected by the charred shell of the chicken, and been extremely hot for a small portion of the time it was sitting out there. I think the risks of food poisoning were pretty low since they were going for the core of the chicken and discarded the charred shell.

Given their situation, I would have eaten the chicken. If the mayans were still present, however, I wouldn't have eaten it. But if the only things I find myself disrespecting as a result of eating the chicken are the mayan gods, I'll take my chances. This is of course assuming I am very very hungry and feel weak as a result.
    Last edited by Zaius; 12-19-2005 at 05:21 PM.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceDee View Post
    This one is easy. I wouldn't have eaten it. It's a ceremonial sacrifice by the local people, they specifically told the players, after the players specifically asked whether they could eat the chicken "no, you should not eat the chicken", and the players (especially Stephanie) weren't about to die from starvation.

I considered it quite disrespectful for them to eat that chicken after being told not to. I was very disappointed in them (except for Rafe, who showed restraint).

It's similar to someone walking into a Christian church and popping open a bottle of communion wine or breaking open a box of communion bread and digging in. It just didn't seem the right thing to do, IMO.
    Nicely put, VinceDee. I totally agree with you. It's an issue of respect. There was nothing physically stopping them from eating the chicken - the locals had left - so they were left with their own self-restraint. I can see being tempted but, in the end, it would come down to, for me, wanting to be respectful of the local people's beliefs and rituals. They were nice enough to perform the ceremony for the tribemates - eating the chicken was rather like slapping them in the face.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast