+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: 12/8 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

PWS
    FORT Fogey

preview :omg what we missed by not looking carefully

Quote Originally Posted by karalott View Post
    Kind of boring preview for next week. I thought they were usually better for the finale.
    WOW, is this not true!! I missed it and everyone here missed it, but take a look at the Survivor Next Time comments for a hi def picture that will show you what we should have seen! And since technically it's not even a spoiler since previews are part of the show I guess I could even say what it is here... but if so many people missed it it feels like a spoiler. So look at your own risk, or go back to the VCR and watch the preview again for yourself.
    Sorry for the double post, but I'd been timed out.

Let's treat anything that you wouldn't see when watching the previews or commercials at normal speed as a spoiler. Also, if someone posts something in spoiler tags, do not quote that part of their post.

I liked this episode but nothing could have lived up to Judd's boot last week for me.

yesterday we were talking about wether or not rafe and danni would honor their promises to take each other to the f2. then i watched the survivor live archive last night. dalton said danni promised f2, but rafe only promised f3. i don't have my episode saved anymore. does anyone know if this is the way it went down? i thought they both promised f2.

Quote Originally Posted by julitta View Post
    yesterday we were talking about wether or not rafe and danni would honor their promises to take each other to the f2. then i watched the survivor live archive last night. dalton said danni promised f2, but rafe only promised f3. i don't have my episode saved anymore. does anyone know if this is the way it went down? i thought they both promised f2.
    Rafe promised final 3, Danni promised final 2. definitely.

I agree with (sort of) those who said Cindy should have given away the car. Two points:

Don't forget the sponser has skin in the game, too. In fact, sponsors can and do call the shots. Survivor has developed this weird thing where the sponsor's product is CURSED. LOL, what a marketing strategy. With our product you are CURSED and you're a LOSER.

This would make the marketing people crazy.

But put that aside. Cindy couldn't count on this. She more-or-less had to play it as though she was giving up the car.

Keeping the car gave her no chance to win the game. That was completely obvious, probably even to her despite her brave words. The "expected value" of that decision is about $35,000 (the value of the car).

If by giving it away she had a "fair" chance (1 in 5) to win the game, elementary statistical theory tells us that the "expected value" of the decision is $200,000: 20% of $1,000,000 (the probability of an event x the value of the event).

Her "risk avoidance" premium was $165,000 ($200,000 - $35,000). Statistically speaking, this makes keeping the car a colossally stupid decision.

She probably felt that she would be voted out, no matter what, which is the only way to justify her decision. My view is that Lydia and Rafe (at least) would have given her a "pass" for one round, but this would have required some negotation skills. We had no evidence the entire series that she had any negotiation skills at all.

So perhaps she made the best decision, given her limited skill set?
    Last edited by Fossil; 12-10-2005 at 01:21 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by starkisssed View Post
    Rafe promised final 3, Danni promised final 2. definitely.
    Interesting. I suspect she'll still feel betrayed regardless, but this pretty much means Rafe can take whoever he wants to the F2 should he win the final immunity challenge. My money for the final challenge isn't on him, but I'm not counting him out like I would Lydia.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Car or no car, Cindy's days were numbered. The writing was on the wall at the last tribal council when they flat out left her out of the loop by not telling her that Judd was being voted out.
    Had she given them the cars, their collective gratitude would have saved her this week, so Danni would have gone home, more than likely. However, all good deeds only buy you a week on Survivor. Next week your credit is up and everyone's even with you.
    She'd have been gone the next week anyway.

I totally agree with every word in this post. The only thing I'd add is that Rafe's sanctimonius attitude about Cindy keeping the car really annoyed me. It takes a person who has never experienced real poverty to make the statement that he'd have given everybody else a car. Rafe has obviously never been without money in his life so if he wants to give cars away, cool. But to use it as an excuse to justify booting Cindy, who obviously comes from a working poor background and who could NEVER afford a car like that, kind of makes me sick. If he wanted to boot Cindy anyway [which he did], then boot Cindy. But don't use the cars for a justification. I used to like Rafe, but no more. Hope his backstabbing ass gets the boot next.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I think also few of us have ever been as carless, or as new carless as Cindy seems to have been. Personally for me a car is just transportation, but Cindy really seems over the moon about it. So much harder for her to give up than for many of us.
    Wow, I just got through saying pretty much the same thing.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by JBJFAN View Post
    Wow, I just got through saying pretty much the same thing.
    Great minds think alike!
    And on the subject of giving cars... I totally agree with the people who think Lydia would have been nuts to give that car to her 17 year old son! In fact I think people who give kids new cars in general are nuts. If you've got the cash get yourself a new one and give the kid the old one (or better yet let the kid work to buy it if you don't want him buying a piece of unsafe junk from the ads), but never give a 17 year old boy (not being sexist and age-ist, just reflecting the insurance stats) something that will tempt him to do dangerous things, and will egg his friends on to egg him on to do them. Further all his friends will want to ride with him in the new car--and I've read stats show a teen driver with friends in the car is in practically as much trouble as one who has been drinking because of the distractions.

When is the finale? Is there one more week? Or is it this Sunday?

+ Reply to Thread