+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good vs. Evil F2?

I guess I don't understand the phrase "under the radar", because I don't think Danni played UTR at all. Yes, she knows when to shut-up and when and HOW to speak, but she's been a bootee blip on everyone's radar screen for weeks and weeks now !

I'm rooting for her too and I think she has been playing the game with subtle psychology and finesse.

JP comment ... ALERT .. Possible SPOILER ALERT
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Jeff Probst commented in an interview (paraphrased here) that one of the F2 has been playing the game all along, and the other one he didn't see playing the game at all.

Although this is one of JP's usual cryptic remarks I believe the former is Steph or Rafe and the latter is Danni.

And ... that comment in itself while not necessarily good v. evil is evidence of a juxtaposition of 2 extremes so you could be onto something here Shady.

Boy ... I hope Danni wins.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

echo. That spoiler suggests
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Lydia to me more than anyone. Who's played less than her? The identity of the other person makes it sound like Rafe or Steph, although Danni is at least possible, if unlikely with that description.

Mind you, if Lydia wins this game I'll scream. Yes, I'd even rather have Steph. The stupid commercials playing now support the idea of Lydia as "the underdog", and thus they are making me cringe with the suspicion we are being set up for a win by her. Blech.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Leo
    Premium Member
    Hmmm... interesting.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I have to agree. At least Steph and Rafe had some part in the formation of the alliance of six; Lydia has been... well, aside from doing that little dance pre-merge and pouting about Steph's eating, she's been basically non-existent.

She might well be the least deserving person in the final two since... maybe Amber and Lill.

Snoozin' on the beach
    If Danni and Steph did make final 2, the parallel would not be lost on anyone on the jury, especially BJ. Danni was essentially in the same situation as Steph was in Palua. While not going into the merge as the last women of her tribe, she was in the minority and ended up all by herself at F6 facing a solid alliance. She's the last woman standing from both her tribes at F4. She's successfully shattered that alliance and got to the end. Ther best part is she did it all in 1 season, without the benefit of learning from her previous mistakes and while facing a "veteran".

Now all Danni has to do is win,go Danni!!
    Last edited by Shady64; 12-10-2005 at 08:23 AM.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Echo, I just this article and his words were a slightly different. Same interpretation though

Click to see Spoiler:
    "One played the game in a way I never thought they would be able to play. And the other played a game I never saw". I take that to mean he never thought Steph would be so in your face in this game as a return player, while Danni played her game very subtely and not in the open, which she has

Thanks for the help Krom!

Shady, if that's really the quote then it sounds like either:

Click to see Spoiler:

"Never thought they would be able to play", seems to mean that someone defied expectations. If they were OLD expectations, he'd likely be talking about Steph. If they were first impressions being defied, then it sounds like it could be Rafe.

"Game I never saw" could mean two things. A subtle player or in fact, someone who did nothing. That phrase is equally applicible to either and thus could be applied to either Lydia OR Danni. Heck, it could even mean Rafe, because a lot of his button pushing was disguised by Steph's in your face style.

To me, each of the four is potentially representible by at least one of these phrases. So it hasn't helped ME guess at all.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Snoozin' on the beach
    After I read this quote I went back to the begining preseason and looked at Jeff's assesment of each player. There was none for Steph as it was still a surprise. Not that his assesment it could help decipher what he means one way or the other but it was interesting.

Each clue could refer to any of the 4. It's vague enough but could be interpreted a certain way depending on who the viewer has as their favorite. Jeff would make a good politicain with wording like this

FORT Fanatic
    I read on another site, not a fan site, but a "reality news" site, and saw a screen cap of the previews from the next show that clearly show **spoiler alert**
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Rafe sitting at the final 4 tribal council with the immunity necklace on. If that is the case, and it clearly looks like it is, then I wonder if it's possible that Steph gets voted out - as the rest of them see her as too big a threat to possibly win it.
    ...Just a theory.

Aramcobrat, there is actually a screencap of what you are talking about in the On The Next Survivor (12/11) thread and some interesting discussion.

When Steph was getting a lot of screentime at the beginning of this season, I thought it was because she was a known quantity and she was going to get the boot fairly early. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, her prominence from the beginning seems to have been about something different. First, we've seen a not as noble side of Steph. During Palau, she would have been the one labeled "Determined" in the commercials. This time she's dominated her tribes but not in the way Tom did in Palau. Tom dominated by kicking everyone's butt in challenges and in providing food. Steph has dominated through intimidation (I'm not sure that's quite the word I want but it is the best I can come up with right now). The problem with leading through intimidation is that it builds resentment among your underlings. Not a good thing when they will eventually have to vote on whether to give you a million dollars if you get to the final two.

Danni has not had nearly as much screentime as Steph. It seems to me that everyone likes her and that they tend to underestimate her. She is very thin and (I think) beautiful. Even Krom's favorite hat can't disguise her looks. If I were going to choose a word to describe her, I'd probably choose "Plucky." Danni's been seen to have spirit and a will to win but not to be at all malicious. Every time Jeff announces a good reward, we see her get this cute little expression on her face that looks like my five year old niece whenever anyone offers her chocolate. Danni alos has this way of clenching her fists when she gets excited. My mother would say it is really cute.

If these two are the last two standing, the jury vote is going to come down to who votes for Steph for playing an in your face/majority alliance game despite their personal resentment of her and who votes for Danni for managing to get to the final two from the minority alliance entering the merge or simply because they like her better.

Okay .. yep, now that Shady has clarified the quote, I understand why my initial interpretation was what it was BUT Jeff Probst is a master of abiguity, so I also agree with Krom and Shady that in essence, my reaction was/is colored by my hopes for the outcome.

I also agree with Mariner's "take" on Danni and absolutely think Danni's style of play is different than any we've seen, and some of it is very smart game playing that is ingeniously cloaked. We saw how she backed off calling Gary out about his fib, and ended up with him as an ally; we saw how she even gained a little of Judd's trust as he allowed her to hear his Jamie/betrayal/strings/threat comments that she used to handily turn Steph, and Steph thinks Danni is a cool chick just like heer . But I've cited another example elsewhere that's so subtle it's only visible in retrospect. Danni told Rafe that GARY told her Rafe was the one she could trust. That comment disarms him because she says she sees him as a nice, trustworthy guy ... which is what he wants, it also tells him she's a nice trustworthy girl looking for kindred spirit outside the "axis of evil" BUT the best subliminal that it lets Rafe himself progress to the conclusion that Gary, who is now on the jury, likes HIM too so Danni doesn't necessarily have Gary's vote in the bag if she and Rafe are the Final 2 ... so she moves him towards diminishing if not erasing that threat. I have great admiration for people who can plant their ideas in such a way that allows the plantee to think it's their own idea.

Danni is, I think, very intelligent and skilled at speed reading people and playing to their vulnerabilities and needs .... and she doees it all in a non-confrontational, nice, cute, charming and plucky way.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast