+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why always a tropical/hot setting?

Why always a tropical/hot setting?

Every season has been in a "hot" area. I would not mind them making a season in a cold/winter area. Something like Tierra del Fuego, Tibet mountains, Greenland, or whatever. I'm sure the producers can find somewhere good. I guess the main issue is water with below freezing temperatures and the increased danger of illnesses, but isn't that the whole premise of Survivor?

P.S. Sorry if this has been discussed before, I haven't been around lately.

Hot climates = more exposed skin.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Please, let them steer clear of Tibet. Some places just should not be violated by Survivor. It's bad enough that they are traisping around these Guatemalan ruins this time around, without any respect for them.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them freeze their butts off on, say the Russian steppe or maybe somewhere in Canada. Not that I think it will ever happen. It might be hard to find food in winter, hard to make challenges happen when you're wearing 4 layers of winter clothes and hard to have any real drama when you're freezing to death living in an igloo and you just want to live till the next day. LOL.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by superfly View Post
    Every season has been in a "hot" area. I would not mind them making a season in a cold/winter area. Something like Tierra del Fuego, Tibet mountains, Greenland, or whatever.
    You might like seeing or reading about the amazing voyage of Ernest Shackleton. It's been called "The greatest survival story of all time."

I read the book and saw the movie Both were amazing. Highly recommended for anybody interested in survival stories. Search results at Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Yup. So (at least before they get TOO skinny), they can get nekkid.

What I always want to know is WHY SO MANY DAMN ISLANDS! I've loved the "inland" seasons more, as a rule (Amazon, Australian Outback, heck... even Thailand was more mainlandish than islandish, even though it was technically an island--remember, it was near the mainland). I suppose it's simply easier to get and manage an isolated location on an island, but still... it gets SO old.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post

Mark Burnett was interviewed during one of the early seasons and said he'd never shoot a location where they couldn't wear a swimsuit. I'm sorry I don't have a link, I'm going by memory on that one.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I always wished they would do a season on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. It's a huge island with a lot of very wild spaces and they can wear a swimsuit in the summer. Just thought it would be cool to have a less exotic locale.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy View Post
    Please, let them steer clear of Tibet. Some places just should not be violated by Survivor. It's bad enough that they are traisping around these Guatemalan ruins this time around, without any respect for them.
    If it makes you feel better, those particular ruins are not real; they were built as a set for Survivor. As for Tibet, I bet it's as nasty as the footage I've seen of Nepal, which has been trashed by generations of backpackers going into the mountains; even the trail up everest is filty with human waste, discarded trash (gotta keep the packs as light as possible!) and so forth.
    I do suspect they avoid areas where the water and nighttime temperatures are very cold, because they don't want anyone to actually die of exposure while the show is made!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    I always wished they would do a season on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. It's a huge island with a lot of very wild spaces and they can wear a swimsuit in the summer. Just thought it would be cool to have a less exotic locale.
    Bears amongst the bares? Works for me!

I would like to see a cold setting. They could have some kind of hot springs that people could get into to get the bikini factor in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast