+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survivor renewed for 13th & 14th Season

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    I could never ever not watch Survivor. I'll watch it for as long as I can remember how much I love it!
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

Quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by itravel94

Hell no!! If that is the case, I am boycotting the show.

Quote Originally Posted by kraziladi
    I would have to seriously think hard about not watching it anymore.
    Unless a new host for Survivor is just hopelessly bad, I won't change my viewing habits. Certainly Jeff Probst has been a major factor in the success of the show, but when we gather around our water coolers, or in the forums, we generally do not discuss Jeff...we discuss the contestants. We root for favorites and boo the villains...we share our views on what happened, what SHOULD have happened, what will probably happen next and what we HOPE will happen.

We share our opinions on the survivors:
    Rupert--Most popular survivor ever, or biggest blowhard?
    Boston Rob--Genius or asshole?
    Amber--Equal partner with Rob in mastermind scheme, or worthless parasite?
    Johnny Fairplay--Best villain ever, most interesting character ever, or the biggest loser EVER?
    Hunter? They voted off Hunter? What the heck were they thinking?
    Heidi and Jenna--They did WHAT???
    Tom--How does that old guy make those muscle-bound kids look so bad?

These are the people we care about (love or hate), these are the events we argue over, these are the story lines we follow week after week.

What do you remember of Season One? How about fat, naked Richard sitting in a tree watching the others work (they'll surely get rid of this guy fast)? How about gruff ole Rudy, sweet Colleen and crazy Greg (are they doing it?) and Sue Hawk's rats and snakes speech? What do we remember about Jeff from Season One?

The story arcs of the various survivors are told through confessionals and well-edited camera work. Except for a brief recap of the last show, we never even hear from Jeff until he shows up to referee a challenge or to oversee a tribal swap. So much of Jeff's performance is just ritual: "Tribe A--come on in...Tribe B--come on in" "Your first look at the new Tribe B--Joe X voted out at Tribal Council" "Immunity--Up for Grabs" "Head back to camp" "Fire represents life" "The tribe has spoken".

Jeff has developed a questioning style that is the most divisive element of the show. Many viewers wish he would just keep still and stop trying to influence the contestants or their votes...other viewers love the way he interjects his opinions to keep things stirred up.

I believe that Jeff's questions are a product of behind-the-scenes discussions between Jeff, Mark Burnett and various story editors and producers. I think he goes into a tribal council prepared in advance to ask his "impromptu" questions. Jeff is good. Jeff is VERY GOOD, but the next host can be prepared and prompted to ask the same questions.

If Jeff leaves, I will miss him, but Mark Burnett will remain in charge. The same casting experts will choose survivors we will love and hate, the camera operators and story editors and producers will still find compelling stories and Survivor will go on. And I will be there to watch it.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar
    Primetimetommie, I loved your entire post!
    "...Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder..."

So I'm guessing that it's confirmed that Probst will leave after this season? That sucks.

Snoozin' on the beach
    Nothing is confirmed, all rumor so far.

Survivor may be in season 11 but it's only been on 5 years. It's not like Jeff has been here forever, like some dramas or comedies on TV that last 10 years. 5 years is nothing. He'd be nuts to give it up but we all know people quit TV shows while they are still successful, hoping for better, only to fade into oblivion. I'd do his job for free, just to travel the exotic locations!

KYLIE AND MIKE RULE ALL!! RiddleMeThis's Avatar
    I'm gald some more seasons are confirmed! I couldn't live without survivor! WAY TO GO CBS!!!!!!!!!!!

I know guys. He has the most rocking job ever and he has not been on that long..........look at Vanna.....she has him beat by a country mile.

Either he has saved enough to live on for a life time (doube that) or he is nuts.

The perfect job....traveling, NON labor, standing and reading words on paper, and getting paid a fortune.

I'll take that job any day
    Frankly Jamie we don't give a damn.

I would hate to see JP leave the show. I would hate it even more if the show no longer existed. So glad they have agreed to more seasons. They know a good thing when they see it !!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    If and whenever the time may come to get rid of Survivor indefinitely, that'll be one of the biggest buffoon moves in television history. Of course, this is just my mere opinion.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Whats great about Suvivor is that it does have interchangeable parts. It's not like a Friends or Seinfeld, where the stars want to move on to bigger and better things and show topics are hitting the bottom of the barrel. You never know what can happen on Survivor and thats why we keep watching. Always new charecters, always new challenges, always new drama. That's why shows like The Real World are still on after so many, many years. They always have fresh blood. Or The Simpsons where the charecters can hardly go on to pursue a big movie career. I love Jeff, but your right, Survivor will go on without him and no matter what Survivor is still a huge rateings giant. CBS will beat this horse until there is nothing left. And thats the way I like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast