+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burning Survivor Questions Answered! Interview w/Jeff and Mark

JR.
    TV Guide: Why did you bring back Palau's Stephenie and Bobby Jon?
    Jeff Probst: We believed that people wanted to see them again. Steph was this underdog. Everyone thought, "What if she could have been on a tribe that had won one or two challenges? She might've won that damn game." And Bobby Jon was never voted out. The only reason he left the game was that it came down to him and Stephenie, and we had a fire-making competition, and he had taught her how to make fire and she beat him. That was a pretty compelling reason to give a guy a second chance.
    They thought wrong on this, it's almost as bad as the ghost tribe which they admit was a mistake. Steph was an underdog? She & BJ lost fairly. Hell, lots of people lose. Should they all be brought back?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    I call BS on this. Anybody with two eyes could see that one tribe was significantly weaker than the other right before the switch. That is why they switched it up.
    Right, just like they did in Palau when Koror completely dominated Ulong. Oh, wait a minute, that didn't happen at all. The producers have these things planned out from the get-go, and I'm getting quite tired of people saying otherwise. They may make a change here and there, but they have the season pre-set as far as twists go.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    They thought wrong on this, it's almost as bad as the ghost tribe which they admit was a mistake. Steph was an underdog? She & BJ lost fairly. Hell, lots of people lose. Should they all be brought back?
    I'm with you on this. What I don't get is why TPTB felt those two were more deserving than any of the other losers in the show's history. My thing is if you're going to bring back alums, then wait for the All Stars Edition to do so. The rate this franchise is going (dominating it's timeslot and consistent top performer in the Nielsen's), I think it will be around for years to come so I'm sure there will be another ASE.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    I'll admit, as happy as I was for Bobby Jon to get a second chance (and at the time Steph, although not so much anymore) there's still three Survivor's that come to mind that I feel got more screwed than those two. Mike Skupin, Paschal, and Andrew (who Jeff even said was a great Survivor player and that the ghost tribe cost the show him). Of course, Paschal and Andrew also went out because of bad luck in the game. But I agree, what are they supposed to do, bring back everyone they think deserves a second chance? As much as Probst would hate to admit it, I do think they'd be better off doing another AS down the road and I think one might be possible (and if it does happen, hopefully better than the first one). Personally, I would have rather taken Bobby and Steph out and added in two fresh faces.

Right, just like they did in Palau when Koror completely dominated Ulong. Oh, wait a minute, that didn't happen at all. The producers have these things planned out from the get-go, and I'm getting quite tired of people saying otherwise. They may make a change here and there, but they have the season pre-set as far as twists go.
    Tina said there was supposed to be a tribe switch in Outback, but because Mitchell was voted off instead of Keith, it was canned. MB has said he's done them to keep one alliance from dominating the whole game and Pagonging to take place (and it has worked in the past). I think it has more to do with saving certain personalities. I feel safe in saying that if Nakum had stayed together and made any more trip to TC, Judd would have been gone and Brooke and Margaret would still be in the game. I also think Lydia's time was coming on Yakha. In Africa, Jeff made no secret in hating the Sambrats, and that tribe switch did them all in, but saved Teresa and Frank. Gina was screwed with her tribe on Marquesas but the tribe switch made her last a few more days. I believe the producers come up with twists and challenges before hand, but I also don't believe everything is set in stone.

As for the footage of the contestants being sick-I blame the producers for that. They must have other stuff to use that isn't a contestant passing out or vomiting, but they seem to think the viewers really enjoy watching them toss their cookies and that adds to the whole survival aspect

"Woooo.. shut up!" dustparticle05's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karalott
    Tina said there was supposed to be a tribe switch in Outback, but because Mitchell was voted off instead of Keith, it was canned. MB has said he's done them to keep one alliance from dominating the whole game and Pagonging to take place (and it has worked in the past). I think it has more to do with saving certain personalities. I feel safe in saying that if Nakum had stayed together and made any more trip to TC, Judd would have been gone and Brooke and Margaret would still be in the game. I also think Lydia's time was coming on Yakha. In Africa, Jeff made no secret in hating the Sambrats, and that tribe switch did them all in, but saved Teresa and Frank. Gina was screwed with her tribe on Marquesas but the tribe switch made her last a few more days. I believe the producers come up with twists and challenges before hand, but I also don't believe everything is set in stone.
    I agree with you 100%. Sure, they roughly plan out the whole season in advance -- probably post-merge is more set in stone than the beginning, since it's all individual. The producers have to be able to make last-minute changes. They probably didn't plan a tribal switch for Palau, but that doesn't mean they had to change some of the challenges. For instance, when Ulong was down to 3 members, the immunity challenge was a life-size tile-sliding puzzle floating in the water. One person was the caller and two people were in the puzzle shifting the pieces. Obviously, this had to be a last-minute challenge they threw together because if the tribe would have been even, (or, one tribe with 6 and one with 5), there's no way that they'd have 4 people cramped up in the little hole in that puzzle, so I personally think this was a challenge they had to throw together at the last minute once Ulong kept losing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12